• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 07, 2024, 04:03:49 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Wolfran's Sprites: Testing some stuffs

Started by Wolfran, March 27, 2010, 12:23:14 pm

mav

Eh, it ain't the teeth; those are around his right cheek. His left cheek (on our right) is popping out too much.

Lijj

Ah my assumption. Thanks for clearing that up Mav. Do you think when I fix the face I should make him less boyish as well? See the the sprite it's very baby-faced.( not that I don't like that; I think he's cute) So I was trying to match that. But I'll change it or make him look tougher if you guys want.
  • Modding version: PSX

mav

That's up to you and Wolfran. I honestly think the spirit of the sprite should still be captured in the portrait, and if that means you make him look a little boyish, so be it. Though I gotta admit, I thought the essence of portrait's face was fine, it just need some aesthetic tweaks here and there to look ready for use. Great work though, Lijj.

Lijj

Now at least it is facing the right Direction. :arrow: <--<--!
So I lightened it and realized I didn't need as much gray.
Fixed angle of one shoulder and some shading fixes.
 I found i had two more colors
I don't even know how but it was like a miracle. Anyone struggling with the art of
using 16 colors would understand. One extra color even makes one feel lucky.
Actual16 color bmp:
Wolfran you can warm the palette up a little maybe, it'll be easy to do with this particular portrait

jimmyjw88

I always set the palettes before I work on portrait. Though, Smash adviced to go above the limit and bring them down later. Mav's portraits are above the limits as well, and be brought down later part.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

mav

Yeah, I always have mine go passed the color limits and reduce them towards the end. It works for me, but not everyone. There have been times where I've had to reduce portraits from 42 colors down to 16...it ain't always fun.

Anyways, this portrait's looking pretty good. It shouldn't be too hard to get the palettes matching better.

Zozma

i dont like working above the limit because when you bring it down it is sometimes a pain in the ass to manage which shades you give up
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

MiKeMiTchi

Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

Zozma

Quote from: "MiKeMiTchi"His face looks funny.

haha, i was just thinking those exact words and then i saw ur post
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Lijj

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On keeping palettes organized: I found a pretty effective way. Extend the canvas on one side then make each palette color 3 pixels high(3x16=48)Portrait size: 32x48px. Works well for those who prefer to work 1st in RGB.

GeneralStrife

Awesome portrait...who is that?

Wolfran

Thanks Lijj for the new portrait it looks more "mature" than the last one but the two portrait are really great. The sprite is almost finish I have to do the spritesheet and finally it's Finito XD.[attachment=0:16l19ud6]wk2.png[/attachment:16l19ud6]
Welcome to FFH were you can do things like...

mav

Fucking epic portrait, Lijj. And that girl portrait looks quite nice. Was it just something you made on a whim or is it for some project?

Anyways, good luck, Wolfran. I can't wait to see this thing be submitted.

jimmyjw88

Good job making him look mature. One thing, I think the helmet's eye (right, our left) should be less visible as its giving the mismatching angle with his face.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Lijj

Oh crap... I think you are right Jimmy. You're a good crit. I'll have to move the wolf's eye over a px

gojoe

The expression seems odd for a wolf knight, is there a way to give him a more angry wild look?
I never learn from my mistakes.

Lijj

Wolfran

The second portrait looks a little funny but I think the canine must be the upper one like this[attachment=1:szszvoda]wkport5.2.png[/attachment:szszvoda][attachment=0:szszvoda]wkport5.2zoom.PNG[/attachment:szszvoda]
Welcome to FFH were you can do things like...

mav

I don't like these two versions. The teeth make him look ridiculous and the eyes are just too small. You could just give him a scowl, but that's your choice.

Lijj

It was 4:30 AM when I did those two for kicks at Gojoes req. (after a long day) I have been very busy Mav. There is a big surprise coming...(to ambiguously answer your earlier ?)heheheh I cannot elaborate now but you'll see soon.
From here though Wolfran you are set. tweak the port as you please just give me some cred.