• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 02, 2024, 05:23:27 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Rapha and Marack Skills

Started by Pseudo, February 25, 2010, 04:59:40 pm

Pseudo

Just wondering how the formula in Rapha and Marack's skills work. When it's at 10 it seems to hit anywhere from 3-8 times. When I switched the X in the formula to 3 it hit 6-9 times consistantly, although that could have just been me. Can anyone explain the formula to me?

formerdeathcorps

If you're going to use the PSP names, please post in the PSP section.  That aside, there is a X and Y value.  The X value determines maximum number of hits, the Y value determines damage boost.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Pseudo

Er, sorry about. Won't happen again.

I've gotten that much of the formula, but is there some kind of limitation to the number of hits for the X value. As in:

X=1= 1-3 Hits
X=2= 3-6 Hits
X=3= 6-9 Hits

Etc, etc.

formerdeathcorps

Hmm, if you check in FFT Patcher on a new patch, X=6 for all these attacks.  That hardly means Rafa and Malak can hit 18 times.  Maybe there's some lower limit for X?
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Pseudo

There might be. I think I'm gonna test different X values. Since they both have six skills I'll test 1-6 as the X value for Rafa's skills and 7-12 for Malak's skills.

To be safe I'll use each skill about fifteen times. Each time I'll count the number of hits then record it here.

Vanya

Are you counting hits as in they connect or are you counting each time the skill goes off?
I ask because the X is *supposed* to be the maximum number of times it goes off regardless of whether it hits or not.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Pseudo

February 25, 2010, 10:07:34 pm #6 Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 10:20:55 pm by Pseudo
I'm counting each time the skill goes off. So far, from my findings it seems that the higher X is the more consistantly the skill will go on repeatedly. I could be wrong though, I'll need to finish testing first. This is what I have:

[PSP version - Sorry again, wrong section. Although it should apply to the PSX version as well.]

The number in the bracket is the value of X. Numbers afterwards is the amount of times the skills went off.

Hell's Wrath [7]: 3 - 1 - 6 - 1 - 2 - 2 - 6 - 8 - 6 - 1 - 4 - 6 - 10 - 4 - 6

Nether Ashura [8]: 10 - 6 - 5 - 6 - 4 - 6 - 5 - 7 - 6 - 3 - 6 - 9 - 3 - 6 - 6

Nether Blade [9]: 5 - 5 - 5 - 1 - 5 - 6 - 3 - 6 - 2 - 5 - 7 - 2 - 5 - 5 - 4

Nether Maelstrom [10]: 2 - 5 - 6 - 5 - 5 - 5 - 6 - 6 - 3 - 4 - 6 - 10 - 6 - 6 - 2

formerdeathcorps

Did the PSP version hard code these spells?  I've never had problems in the PSX version.

Pseudo

Not really sure. That could be why nothing changes when I change the value of X.

philsov

QuoteAlthough it should apply to the PSX version as well.

And, yet... if you're getting a higher number of connects than X (with 7 you're getting 10?), it'd hardcoded.

But its not so in psx, thankfully.

oooooor, you're somehow failing with applying changes.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Pseudo

Quote from: "philsov"
QuoteAlthough it should apply to the PSX version as well.

And, yet... if you're getting a higher number of connects than X (with 7 you're getting 10?), it'd hardcoded.

But its not so in psx, thankfully.

oooooor, you're somehow failing with applying changes.

I double checked my work before and after testing. The changes were applied successfully. :P

And that only means it's hardcoded into the PSP version. Oh well, I'll work around this. I'll have to jot that down for when I make a PSX patch though.

Zypher

this preliminary evidence that the multi-hit spells are hardcoded would explain the buff that meteorain got in the PSP version.....
my cloud got off quite a number of hits
*takes notes*
now if only i could find that damn memstick w/ WotL.....
Doing a lolhaxx playthrough of WotL 1.3