• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 23, 2024, 02:35:55 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Terra Branford

Started by Smash, January 16, 2010, 10:46:26 pm

Jon

I like the flood pic a lot. You should give it a name, though. Also, the portrait is awesome, it is amazing what you can do with a simple drawing program. Is it someone you know that you are basing the portrait off of? Very nice, keep it up! ;)
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Smash

Quote from: "Jon"I like the flood pic a lot. You should give it a name, though. Also, the portrait is awesome, it is amazing what you can do with a simple drawing program. Is it someone you know that you are basing the portrait off of? Very nice, keep it up! :P

The flood pic is called "In the name of Logos", btw.

Now im just gonna keep dumping stuff here.. They plague my work area.

Cheetah

This stuff is really turning out nicely Smash, well just about everything you do does so that really isn't say much. I have seen enough of your work now to have an idea of the style you use, or at least and idea of it. I really appreciate all your tutorials as well, they really contribute to the growth of the community.
Current Projects:

jimmyjw88

These are just great, Smash. I wish I could understand more.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

mav

I love the end result of the tutorial. Good stuff; I'll be sure to use it.

Kaijyuu

Friggin love the portrait. 4 colors too? Excellent.

As for the other dude... I think you're getting a little too contrasting-colors happy. The green, blue, yellow, and purple in the had is woah. Looks rainbow colored.
  • Modding version: PSX

SilvasRuin

I think that's the point.  It's either supposed to be really colorful or he plans on replacing the colors later and is using placeholders to be able to better differentiate one from the other.

Smash

Neither, but true in a way.

It's really supposed to be what's known as the C64 pallete. An old system known as the Commodore 64 could only display those 8-bit colors on the screen, and it seems a good challenge to use the limits.

Note that the other wave scene has those same colors.

jimmyjw88

I wish I know how to choose these types of colours.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

mav

Ah, that's very interesting, Smash. I don't know why I didn't notice (or maybe mention) the fact that the wave scene had that same palette. I like it though--getting used to FFT's palettes can limit creativity...and that's the last thing we need.

Smash

It's true. In my case, it affected my pixeling style in a way that even some members in another spriting forum got tired and ranted at the overuse of FFT palletes. I was aware already, so I had to make an effort to diversify my styles.

Jimmy, you could try out the C64. It may look fun at first, but it's quite challenging when you dwelve into it. It encourages some serious hue shifting, something that may later serve useful in FFT portrait hair.

Now for the off-topicness..

assadsfasdfasfasdsafds

O_O

Oh shit, this is goddamn amazing, I brought a new HP laptop today with a sexy crisp clear screen, and my pixels look orgasmic in it. :D

I believe I hate the new Ms Paint though. Im trying to figure out how to bring Vista's paint back, or if all else fails, get Cosmingo Pro-motion in pirated form.

jimmyjw88

I like to try, if only i knew how. ><
I'll try surf around about this ^^

And grats on your new laptop. I like Vista paint too. XP paint doesn't have scroll zooming; have to click 2x, 4x, 8x.

EDIT: After reading this and looked at Smash's work (that C64), I now understands that the colours are set and standard; blue, red, green, cyan, brown, etc etc but the problem is I don't really understand the hue, contrast, saturation and all those stuff. Hmm....

mav

Oi, looking at Paint for Windows 7, I'm happy that I stuck with Vista. That's a monstrosity.

Smash

Now that I've spent some time in it.. Yeah, im completely positive of it now, it's worth a shit.

I made doodles in it, but other than to mess around, it's obsolete for pixel art.

Anyone know how to bring my old Vista paint back?  :(

SilvasRuin

It is entirely possible to do pixel art with it.  Just select the pencil icon rather than the brush it is set to for the default.  You can still color one pixel at a time, still zoom way in (possibly even just a bit further), and it has a larger amount of colors you can have to select from at one time.

I have yet to see you guys put forth a tangible complaint about it other than its lack of being able to scroll to zoom.

Smash

Though it may be possible, it's entirely slower and unconfortable to the point of being obsolete.

The single pixel sized pencil is pathetically worthless when doing larger pixel art, and all the brushes are shit. Due to the lack of sizes, it seems too much a bother to click on the eraser many times all over again. Also, I find the pencil icon unconfortable, because of it's lack to preview the actual pixels before drawing them, unlike the drawing cross in older versions. (The one in my sig)
The ribbon menu seems awfully unconfortable on top, and you can't move the toolbox right next to your pixels while working, which forces you to constantly make trips up and down.

As for the magnifier, you now have to press like 6 times in order to effectively get a confortable view of the sprites, and it sometimes zooms in different spots away from those selected.

All the charms Paint had are now gone, basically. Now any other program seems like a better choice.

SilvasRuin

Was that cross in Vista's?  I certainly don't recall that in XP's.  I hated Vista and avoided it, so I'm not familiar with its features.  I just know that the new one lost very few features and isn't much different from what I'm used to.  It just bugged me that I kept seeing complaint after complaint and no actual stated reasons for it.

mav

This is the only decent solution I found, Smash: look through the information on Paint.NET. It's essentially MS Paint, you just need to find the version you'd like, which I think is 3.36, but I'm not sure. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Now I'm thinking this is actually nothing like MS Paint. Damn. What would happen if I sent you the .exe of my MS Paint? It's an exe, so it should work off the bat, right?

Smash

Vista's exe files won't work no matter what. I tried it myself a while back.

The one from XP works fine though.. But having only 3 undos is a pain in the ass, and the zoom sucks.

Eh, fuck it, im going with a combination of XP Paint (sketching part) and Pro Motion (Detailing). You should all give Pro Motion a try, btw.

jimmyjw88

Ah yes, forgotten that undo. Haha. Yeah, zoom sucks.