• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 18, 2024, 05:46:40 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Jon's Sprites

Started by Jon, December 09, 2009, 05:15:18 am

Jon

I did not fix the hair yet (I know, I know! I will...) but I changed the blacks, and getting the basic colors right is probably the first step to getting this Squall project on wheels, so lemme know what you think now...

To me, he looks too fat...btw, this is based off of Mustadio of all characters, wierd...
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

jimmyjw88

Sorry but everything is kinda flat.

1 - Hands are little to big.
2 - Pants look crazy with those random colours.
3 - What's that pink colour on his face?
4 - Shirt is too flat. 2 whites are definitely not enough.
5 - Hair colours are bit weird.

I suggest use Gafgarion if you want that fur collar.

EDIT: Sorry. Erm, if you're doing his coat, then I think 2 whites should be okay.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Jon

To hell with Squall then! I am not ready for a sprite like this. Too many black variables and shading which I have only slight knowledge on. Okay, I have a tiny problem, you see, I am trying to change the weapon sprites and I got the first sheet (color wise, all weapons are blue) off of Shishi and I would really like to know please what guns those icons relate to. I think the top gun is the Romanda Gun that Mustadio has and the second one is the Blast Gun?? Does anyone have any idea which guns these are? Any help would be great ;)

jimmyjw88

I can't really help you with weapon sprite. Sorry. As for the sprite, I can help suggest a little bit:

1 - Use Gafgarion as the base (for fur collar)
2 - Custom hair (perhaps)
3 - Colours ~ 3 face, 2 white, 5 blacks, 3 browns, and remaining 2 more colours, I'm not sure.

I think this should be okay ^^ Hope it helps.

Smash, mav or others that are much pro than me will give better guidance and tips ^^
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Jon

Thanks Jim. Right now I don't feel in the mood to work on Squall, I will use Gaffy's fur of course, and I think I will need 3 white/greys, but yeah, right now I want to make a rifle and maybe a replacement over Save the Queen (?) the 7th or 8th sword from the top on the first color(blue) spritesheet. I will test this myself and report which gun is which on this particular sheet. Thanks for the help though :)

jimmyjw88

Kagebunji

If you want to make some sprites, look at Mercenaries section, there are some(quite a bunch) sprites to do, I will work on those sprites too, after I finish my current work ofcourse.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Jon

I don't know exactly where I got the motivation to take on such a crazy project, I have no idea if I will ever finish it, but I will definetly try to at least (the bare minimum 1 chapter) make this fool's dream into a reality. Here is a short summary of what I have in mind:

Final Fantasy Tactics: The Fifty Year War

1st Scene: Young little Ramza, trying to lift Count Orlandu's sword, getting scolded at by his father Lord Balbanes Beoulve, and eventually crying for his deed.
2nd Scene: A man, with lowered head, sheathes his sword and departs reluctantly from a crying son who doesn't want his father to leave for war.
3rd Scene: Younger Balbanes (40ish) with 2 sons Zalbag (16ish) and Dycedarg (25ish) and a score of knights fighting on Mandalia Plains against the evil armies of the invaders.
4th Scene: Count Orlandu and Balbanes fighting overwhelming odds, Orlandu without his Excalibur, mind you, just a regular sword.

These are just some weird random ideas I had, and I would love to make a game out of this, only 2 problems, I have no idea how to edit events easily (I do know how to change text but that is it) and also of course the sprites. I will devout some time to this because I have always felt that there is no back story to FFT. I am pretty sure that there are people who are already making a 50 Year War game, but I want to make my own version. Also, the main protaganist Balbanes will most likely look similar to an older version of Ramza, because Simon said he looks like his father in his youth, ect. If anyone knows where there is a decent guide to changing events in simple words, none of that super complicated crap, I would really like it if you post it. I think I will make a Balbanes sprite now...not sure on whom I should base it though...also I have no time for this project, but hey, its just a dream anyways...if you would like to help me, that would also be great! ;)

jimmyjw88

Jon

Thanks Jim!

Ah, I searched, there are half completed but no full versions of Balbanes yet?? Maybe I should get involved some how? I wouldn't even know where to start with him. I agree with what the others wrote on the topic, that Balbanes needs some kind of jacket and not a robe...perhaps I could make a Balbanes version of the Cannoneer...He is wearing a coat...change the shirt to armor and viola...I will attempt this sometime....

Bloodthirster0

Well,I started working on Balbanes again,it is 95% complete,just need a fix on a head and the death poses that Im thinking to ask Smash to make 'em.

After reading your ideas,I remenbered that I found a young Balbanes portrait a long time ago,but it needs to be revamped:

Need something useful to write here

Jon

Thank you, but Balbanes here still looks a tad bit old, which is fine, because I want my Balbanes aroud 40ish, but what happened to his ponytail thing? I think I might use this, after modifying it a bit... :)

Also Happy New Year everyone!!

Jon

dwib

Am I the only one that thinks this sprite needs a lot of work before it is submitted? The gold outline on the hat and coat looks sloppy at best, the shading is flat, and where are you getting these palettes from? They look awfully saturated and if you're planning on keeping these palettes then change the shades of gold because it doesn't work with the green and purple for sure. Try a different color trim than gold for your 5th palette also.
Take a look at Smash's edit and try to incorporate it for the rest of the sprite. Overall this is not a bad start on a custom sprite but put next to any other fft sprite in-game it would look gross
Quote from: "Smash"
Also made edits to the sprite and changed the pallete. Has Rofel blues now.

In other news, the portrait looks great for all colors

Smash

I think the portraits would look way better with the Male orator's colors.

Everything now is too saturated.

mav

Did you use existing palettes, Jon? These are really freakin' bright. Has the cleaned up version of the sprite been posted, yet?

Jon

Okay, okay, forget those 3 color variations. They are crap. I like the color of both Smash's Rofel blue and also my Agrias blue, and I will change it around to Smash's asap. I wanna get this finished. Also, thanks for being honest and telling me that this stuff won't work, otherwise I would have left it as is. Whew, that was a close one. Oh yeah- I am not so good with the powder bag. That doesn't mean that I don't like it, because actually I think that it fits perfectly, but my powder bag edits also look junky...will post the new Cannoneer in a little...

Kagebunji

Yeah those colors are a bit flashy. Do you still have some space left for colors? I would advise(again) using one more color for gold outline, and (if you have so many colors left) one more shade for white shirt.

Jon

Yeah, I am working on the shading, but I am having a very hard time. I can't seem to get it right on all the poses...especially adding that powder bag...so this may still take a while. If anyone else has done the whole sprite sheet with better shading, please post it, because mine looks sorta funny- and I only did the first row! This is hopeless...I am a bad spriter...

Kagebunji

Don't give up so easily. My first sprites were a big shit as well, and yours just have problems with shading.