• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 02, 2024, 01:26:53 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Jon's Sprites

Started by Jon, December 09, 2009, 05:15:18 am

Lijj

• Modding version: PSX

Zozma

if you are going to use agrias' head for that female sprite, i think you really need to give her a hat... its so obviously a cut of agrias that I for one, wouldn't use it simply because it would take away from agrias being a unique character.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Jon

Hi yall, its been a long, long time. Here is what I am working on, and btw the colors are correct (its Game Boy Advance after all) but will be changed to blue when the sheet is finished. I hope this is okay to post on here, this is FFHacktics, and FFTA sorta counts as FFT too in a way. Maybe there should be something that hacks FFTA? Alright, nevermind, this is getting off topic.

Dragoon Idea

Also, this hopefully will look like that Dragoon pic that was posted on here a long time ago, you all know the one: with the Bahamut Dragoon Male and Leviathan Dragoon Female.
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Wolfran

I think you are wasting your time in FFTA sprites because as far as I know there isn't a sprite editor for FFTA to insert custom sprites.
Welcome to FFH were you can do things like...

Kagebunji

Ditch this, Jon. Like Wolf said, no point in doing FFTA sprites since there is no editor that were to replace sprites. I cannot remember those Bahamuth and Leviathan dragoons too well, could you post them if you have those?

Vanya

August 13, 2010, 04:38:23 pm #325 Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 05:05:33 pm by Vanya
I have those.
These are actually early FF9 designs that were later changed when they decided to go a different route with the game.
Trivia: The Bahamut Dragoon is actually Zidane before he was redesigned as a Genome and the Leviathan Dragoon is an early incarnation of Garnet/Dagger.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Jon

I would normally never do something that was pointless. I am going to use the sprites for my own game, so no worries. I sorta learned to code, taught myself and it took like half a year to become decent. I think to make a game that emulates FFT would be really hard, but to make something like the Legend of Zelda is no problem. I am planning on using the GBA Dragoon for a Zelda like FF game, you know like that old Final Fantasy Adventure for Game Boy (when there were only shades of gray and black.) Hopefully if all goes well, my game will look like FFTA.
Btw, thanks for posting this Vanya :)

Vanya

Two things:
I had an idea for remaking FF1 as a Zelda-style adventure game years ago, but I never did anything with it.
FFAdventure is actually the first Secret of Mana game, but does use enough FF1-3 styled graphics to be a good example of what FF would be like as an adventure game. Another game that might be a good reference is Crystalis actually.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Jon

Haha, your absolutely right. I actually played Secret of Mana for the GBA first and then much later FF Adventure, and I suddenly realized I was playing more or less the same game! Shocking! What happened to the chocobo in Secret of Mana though ;_; I miss my chocobo ride! Also, I never heard of Crystalis, is it any good? Anyway, I will post later sometime the newer improved version of a Human Male Dragoon for FFTA, not that anyone would likely use it. I changed his armor to Cid's armor, and also fixed the sloppy looking helmet. Soon I will have the 6 movement poses, so until then...

Jon

Done with the 6 movement poses, please tell me whatcha think. (Again, the colors are unimportant because you can change them on the fly with anything really.)

edit: Oops, didn't realize the size I posted. Oh well, who cares? I noticed that the helmet shading is not in perfect sync with the armor, or vise versa. I think I'll fix that up next and hopefully post some attack animations.

Jon

Here it is, with 2 battle poses:

Also, I was wondering if it will/would be possible at some point to also do FFTA and FFTA2 stuff on this site? I think this would expand the site and enhance it, but thats just my opinion. Maybe too many people hate FFTA because the story was so "kiddy" like. I hated the story too, but to use FFTA and make our own patches and sprites would seem like a good idea to me...

Smash

Jon

Subforum? Nah, it should have its own forum by itself. I wonder if it would be difficult to make something like a FFTA editor and a Shishi sprite editor, because it would be really cool to change the ridiculous story to something more mature and change many of the game elements. Like I totally hated that no one ever dies, except when you enter those lawless jagd places. Also the fact you don't get Ritz or any good special characters except after you finish the main game made me angry because they give you special characters that either have set abilities or start with nothing at all (and sometimes a few crap abilities learned). It would be awesome to change the story around to something more like the original FFT. I mean a magic book that sends the reader to Ivalice? What were they thinking at Square Enix? It shoulda been a magic book that once you open it up sends you to hell or something, even if not that the story shoulda had more "scary" elements in it, think FF5 when they go into the haunted ship or FF6 when they ride the Phantom Train. FFTA didn't even have chocobos! Someone should probably make some editors if they got the skills, I would if I could but can't. FF Hacktics and Hacktics Advance...? Okay, I said enough.

Vanya

Quote from: "Jon"Haha, your absolutely right. I actually played Secret of Mana for the GBA first and then much later FF Adventure, and I suddenly realized I was playing more or less the same game! Shocking! What happened to the chocobo in Secret of Mana though ;_; I miss my chocobo ride! Also, I never heard of Crystalis, is it any good? Anyway, I will post later sometime the newer improved version of a Human Male Dragoon for FFTA, not that anyone would likely use it. I changed his armor to Cid's armor, and also fixed the sloppy looking helmet. Soon I will have the 6 movement poses, so until then...

Crystalis is arguably one of the all-time classics for NES. At least among  old-schoolers like myself. You should give it a go and see what you think.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Jon

This project is finished. All I would havta do is change colors to whatever, like blue or green. Lemme know whatcha think:

Phlashblazer

Wow that sprite looks really cool you sure it's not Kain? Lol jk, really great sprite.
Even so, my hands will bring relief to people who have learned to live without hope, a human being who feeds on his brother is not a man anymore... he is a mad dog, and should be dealt the same fate.

Jon

Well, here are some color variations. Please let me know what you think, because the colors to me are very important on a dragoon sprite. If only I could insert them into FFTA, too bad...

@Vanya: Okay, I'll try out Crystalis, I'll take your word for it if you say its good :)

Lijj

Fine but this whole concept I see as a flaw on the marketing end. This is very juvenile sht! Nothing against you Jon but even the original arts for FFta looks childish and lighthearted
  • Modding version: PSX

Jon

To be honest, I agree with you Lijj. Like I wrote before though, the story is the worst part. The sprites aren't that bad, I have seen much, much worse, believe me. FFTA at least has a style which it sticks to and obeys. But yeah, why in the world did Square Enix target 8-12 year old kids when they made FFTA? It makes me so sad...

Asmo X

Theres nothing wrong with the FFTA sprites. It's just a different style. They seem to work pretty well given the space restrictions.