• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 01, 2024, 02:55:01 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Known Bugs

Started by Vanya, November 12, 2009, 12:58:00 pm

Vanya

November 12, 2009, 12:58:00 pm Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 01:05:00 pm by Vanya
I'm requesting a sticky for this thread.
It will contain info on known bugs in FFT and any solutions that might exist for them. This will cut down on new threads about bugs we already know about.

Known Bug List
-----------------

1) Swapping Skillsets Bug

Description - If a generic unit is given a skillset other than the one originally set by square the learned skills in battle will be wrong.

Notes - Special Units don't seem to be affected by this bug.

Solution - None. No real one anyway. Either don't swap skillsets for jobs Generic Units can access, or don't use Generic Units.

2) Changing Skills in Certain Skillset Bug

Description - Item, Jump, & Throw have glitched skills & learned skills when switched to normal type menus.

Notes - Special Units don't seem to be affected by this bug. Generic unit's seem to take their learned skill data from their base job instead of the job that uses the modified skillset.

Solution - None. No real one anyway. Either don't edit skillsets for jobs Generic Units can access, or don't use Generic Units.

Please report any additional bugs or details about existing bugs here.
Do read the current bug descriptions before posting!
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Vanya

November 12, 2009, 01:00:59 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Let's begin discussion by gathering details about the Swapping Skillsets and and Changing Skills bugs.

IIRC the bugged skillsets are Item, Throw, Jump and Math Skill. Can anyone verify those?
¯\(°_0)/¯

philsov

November 12, 2009, 01:02:16 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
I'm rather sure Math Skill isn't bugged; just make sure to change it from <Arithmatic> to <Default> and you can load it up with spells/abilities.  That's how the 1.3 sage is, iirc.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Vanya

November 12, 2009, 01:06:19 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Changed.

I remember ppl having trouble with Draw Out & Element a long while back, was this also due to not changing the menu type?
¯\(°_0)/¯

Cheetah

November 12, 2009, 02:13:23 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Are you referring only to bugs  that occur in hacking Vanya?
Current Projects:

Vanya

November 12, 2009, 09:09:20 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
No. All bugs so that they can be found in one spot easily here in the help section.
Is there any info on the wiki about bugs?
¯\(°_0)/¯

Xifanie

November 13, 2009, 04:48:18 am #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
...why is this in help?
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

philsov

November 13, 2009, 09:25:28 am #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
Sprite limit "bug" -- the game can only load 9 sprite sets per battle.  Using Zirekile as an example; your party of 4 + Delita + Ovelia + Agrias + Gaf = all the others must be the same sprite!  You can be crafty in the ENTD and force the same sprite onto all the units while keeping their classes diversified, but usually that is a bit counter intuitive so just try to work with it.

Unit limit "bug" - The maximum number of units on the field can be 16 -- ie, 11 enemies.  Some maps are capped at 12 units.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Vanya

November 13, 2009, 12:27:25 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Quote from: "Zodiac"...why is this in help?

I've noticed a lot of questions in help caused by these bugs.
I figure that if it is already listed here with known solutions it should cut down on redundant posts about these bugs.

If you think it would be better to have it in General Hacking, then I suggest a FAQ for this forum that will direct ppl to where ever this thread ends up.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Wasabi

November 13, 2009, 09:37:11 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Wasabi
No, I believe this topic should be stickied in this forum, considering this is the place where newbies will seek to have their questions/queries answered. This topic should be a one-click route in helping them before making a new topic about an already answered/discussed bug. And maybe this topic should be fused with MikeMiTchi's topic as well.

This isn't really a bug, but the ENTD's sprite set only truly ends at "79," since 80, 81, and 82 are coded as being "generic male/female/monster." So, there's no way in inputting [specifically] the male and female Calculator and Bard sprite (as well as any sprite set from 83+, such as Dancer or Mime) without swapping the preexisting sprite set with whatever you want in (through Shishi I believe?). The male/female classes for Calculator, Bard/Dancer, and Mime can only be legitimately placed in battle by generic male 80 / generic female 81, as are monsters with generic monster 82.

Tactext has a known bug when it comes to a unit that crystallizes during battle. It is imperative that if a text patch is implemented on an ISO, that the battle message that allocates to the crystallization message be changed to something else (ie. "Unit has transformed into a crystal"). Otherwise, the game will crash.

Also, pallette swaps on any unit outside of the 0-4 range for a sprite set will crash the game, I believe.

Mental_Gear

November 14, 2009, 12:33:59 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Mental_Gear
I'm pretty sure TacText also has a bug with unit names when it levels up - it always says, for example '[Ramza] gained a job level!' The square brackets are sort of 'halfway' - the first one to the top-left of the name, the second to the bottom-right. This is displayed in TacText, and I removed the 'square brackets' then patched my vanilla ISO. It still happened with no changes.

Of course I could be wrong.