• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 02, 2024, 01:12:14 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

The need for a strong 3rd political party in the US?

Started by Vanya, October 03, 2009, 12:00:20 pm

Dominic NY18

October 04, 2009, 03:16:15 pm #20 Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 03:23:10 pm by Dominic NY18
Quote from: "darthpaul"
Quote from: "Samuraiblackbelt"
Quote from: "Vanya"Eventually somethings gotta give or it could end up real bad...

We need another plague.

swine flu

No I mean a pandemic that wipes out a large portion of the population.

After the black plaque so many people where killed that people could choose what jobs they wanted to do. This lead to higher wages which in turn lead to a better standard of living.

Soon after was the start of capitalism and the Renaissance. The entire reality of today's society stems from the disaster. I think it's time we had another one.

So your solution to the perceived problems inherent in the political system of the U.S. is a pandemic that results in the death of a significant percentage of the population?

I hope my understanding of what I've quoted is wrong.

Pickle Girl Fanboy

October 04, 2009, 03:17:57 pm #21 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Pickle Girl Fanboy
Quote from: "LastingDawn"but to have the government work for only minimum wage... that would really weed out the dirty politicians who are in it only for the money, hehe.

That's the problem, they aren't in it for the money (or not just the money), they're in it for the power, the authority to tell other people what to do.  Why do you think we're in the United Nations?  Because our politicians, like all politicians, love bossing other people around.  I don't want us to be the worlds policeman.  The founders of our country didn't want us to interfere in other countries affairs.  They didn't even want us to form alliances.  I forget the exact phrase, but I think it was "trade and be friends with all nations, but be allies to none."

I'm leaning more and more towards the Constitutinalists and Libertarians the more I learn about human nature and history, and I don't know how to reconcile this with our war in Afghanistan.  Joe Biden's proposed strategy, "Locate and Kill the Terrorists with Special Forces and Drones", won't work, because this isn't about winning territory, it's about winning the people's support and getting them to help us fight the enemy.  The only thing that will work is to saturate the ground with our soldiers and put ourselves between the people and the enemy.  To protect and police them, basically.  The problem is this:  it's the best chance we have to win this war, but it will result in more wounded and killed among our soldiers.  It worked in Iraq, when Bush okayed General Petraus' "Surge" stratagy, but it cost lives.  Now Obama is at the same crossroads in Afghanistan, but the risk is much greater.  If the Islamists win Afghanistan, they will likely win Pakistan next.  Pakistan has nukes and the means to deploy them (which we, along with Russia, gave them).  And all these groups are brothers in arms with the original Islamic Revolutionaries, Iran.

I'm afraid that, in trying to protect our country by interfering in other countries affairs, we are only laying the groundwork for our own destruction.  I hope I'm just being paranoid.

Quote from: "Samuraiblackbelt"
Quote from: "Vanya"Eventually somethings gotta give or it could end up real bad...

We need another plague.

swine flu

No I mean a pandemic that wipes out a large portion of the population.

After the black plaque so many people where killed that people could choose what jobs they wanted to do. This lead to higher wages which in turn lead to a better standard of living.

Soon after was the start of capitalism and the Renaissance. The entire reality of today's society stems from the disaster. I think it's time we had another one.

Quit that shit DP.  The only valid reason to kill another person, allow the killing of another person, or endorse the death of another person, is if you must do it to survive.  We don't need a smaller population, we need more efficient food production and technology that can allow everyone to enjoy our standard of living without harming the environment or one another.