• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Forcing special characters into different palettes

Started by LastingDawn, May 20, 2008, 07:09:40 pm

Xifanie

July 02, 2008, 08:18:11 pm #20 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
There is an event instruction that changes the portrait of someone when a dialog of his/her is opened. Whoever it is VERY limited (about 5 portraits) I have no idea how we'd go to implement new ones as I don't even know how to set special portraits like the special monk/thief/mediator.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Zozma

July 02, 2008, 08:20:49 pm #21 Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 08:22:08 pm by Zozma
miluda and the first special squire you encounter is in the second part of the menu portrait .bin file im sure you can set them with the m.portrait option...

but the big menu portrait file cant yet be edited without damage to other pictures on the file because its compressed...
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Cheetah

July 02, 2008, 08:22:04 pm #22 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
It would be very awesome if we could figure out how to implement those special portraits. Obviously the code isn't in the event instructions because they are also present during the battle. But do the events have the portraits individual referenced, or are they getting the information for the portrait to use from a different source?

Sorry I am over my head as I am not a coder, I just hope my questions make sense.
Current Projects:

Xifanie

July 03, 2008, 05:35:05 am #23 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
I have no idea where the portraits are loaded from with that instruction but the portrait stays there until the end of the event.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Zozma

July 27, 2008, 10:02:55 am #24 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
ahh okay so i just have to say this in case anyone is running out of duplicate sprites to use for new custom characters. Zalbag's zombie sprite can be merged with his normal sprite (thanks to zodiac for mentioning how to force specials to change colors) with this trick you can make his zombie portrait paste over his normal one in battle, AND make his skin that zombie color too with a second palette thus freeing the zarue2 type1 sprite for use as anything else u want it to be. (and all without affecting his normal arc knight job at all)

Zozma

August 11, 2008, 08:08:00 pm #25 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
you know what, i think those 5 portraits are at the end of the wldface4 file... i saw miluda and the special squire there

but altogether there are more than 5 special generic portraits...
Miluda
Gariland Squire
Dorter Theif
Monk
Mediator
Ninja
Gustav
Golgaros

Argg0

August 12, 2008, 12:03:14 am #26 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Argg0
Btw...

Units with sprite that way cannot join. They will bug, a lot.

Zozma

August 12, 2008, 12:30:29 am #27 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
yeah, i know its specifically for enemy units that i will call doppelgangers
and also level 4 monsters.