• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Mercenaries Job Sprite Ideas (update: soon)(Image Heavy)

Started by MiKeMiTchi, August 07, 2009, 05:50:42 am

LastingDawn

September 08, 2009, 01:52:17 am #220 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Yes, a hat on this sprite I can't see working, it's just... an odd thought, more or less.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

jimmyjw88

September 08, 2009, 02:30:48 am #221 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by jimmyjw88
I see. Alright. The purple is kinda nice but is it abit bright?
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

MiKeMiTchi

September 08, 2009, 03:35:08 am #222 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
then indigo?
not bright purple. :)

UPDATED FIRST POST.
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

jimmyjw88

September 08, 2009, 06:10:46 am #223 Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 09:35:28 am by jimmyjw88
Hey guys. I like to help out in Mercenaries and so, I give it a try on knight and this is what I've come up with. Not sure if it fits Mercenaries' style but here it goes ^^
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

MiKeMiTchi

September 08, 2009, 07:24:12 am #224 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
The colors on the clothes are nice. :)
One thing though: the helmet needs to be shaded more.
the one facing the left is a good example. You lost it on the front view.

I think it quite fits the Rehauled knight.

Asmo X

September 08, 2009, 08:39:23 am #225 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Jimmy the palette on the helmet and boots isn't doing it man. You gotta rip a palette from another sprite instead of making your own. The overall helmet shape isn't bad but you arent really getting it across properly with that shading. You need to improvise, lad. Couldn't you make a similar helmet by pasting the bottom half of the lancer helmet to the top half of...some other helmet? Gaf maybe? At any rate, you should do this. It'll come custom-made with shading too. Also, we've seen that knight body in Vanilla. You should look at other armoured units and copy/paste stuff together that you think might look good. Shrine Knights, Ch.1 Wiegraf, Lancer, Gafgarion etc etc.

Asmo X

September 08, 2009, 08:40:59 am #226 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X

Another inquisitor palette

Tweak to the new Lancer. I feel this sprite is going to go a lot more smoothly using wiegrafs legs.

MiKeMiTchi

September 08, 2009, 09:08:11 am #227 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
Quote from: "Asmo X"Jimmy the palette on the helmet and boots isn't doing it man. You gotta rip a palette from another sprite instead of making your own. The overall helmet shape isn't bad but you arent really getting it across properly with that shading. You need to improvise, lad. Couldn't you make a similar helmet by pasting the bottom half of the lancer helmet to the top half of...some other helmet? Gaf maybe? At any rate, you should do this. It'll come custom-made with shading too. Also, we've seen that knight body in Vanilla. You should look at other armoured units and copy/paste stuff together that you think might look good. Shrine Knights, Ch.1 Wiegraf, Lancer, Gafgarion etc etc.

Love the lecture.
You'll REALLY learn from this.

@Asmo,
I like the colors and the shininess of the new dragoon sprite you're working on.

on the other hand, I think we should keep the color of the armor(before) for the female inquisitor. The 'skirt' just needs to be colored purple for me. Good job, still. :)

Asmo X

September 08, 2009, 09:19:31 am #228 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
We need like, 8 palettes anyway

jimmyjw88

September 08, 2009, 09:24:04 am #229 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by jimmyjw88
Wow...That's looking great Asmo.
And thanks for the advices, Asmo. The palettes actually are from Pieke Okata or in Mercenaries, known as Rondel.
As for the helmet, I custom-made myself which is exactly what you are trying to say to all; "Don't create your own parts and own palettes. Copy/paste them from other existing sprites"
Thanks again. I'll look at Gafgarion's helmet. (Totally forgotten about that. I only viewing Pieke, Male Lancer and Female Lancer's helmet)
Before I change, here's another sample.

EDIT: I just make the helmet only. Haven't actually touch the armor part ^^

Asmo X

September 08, 2009, 10:20:48 am #230 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
So it is from Pieke. I think it's just the way you've shaded it then. I would suggest you locate another helmet and then when transfering the palette over, just swap the colours out for the corresponding shades in the Pieke palette. Or better yet, pick another palette you like. That particular one is pretty hard to manage I think because of the sudden shift from bright shades to dark.

jimmyjw88

September 08, 2009, 11:25:52 am #231 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by jimmyjw88
Yeah. My shading is out. Alright Asmo. I'll choose a better palettes.
Also, another try but it look totally stupid.

Scryer

MiKeMiTchi

September 08, 2009, 12:13:50 pm #232 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
The shading seems ok, though, I would like to change the color of the robe.
Maybe change the gray to blue, then change the red to white. Try?

And, FIX the eyes. Make it look like normal.

Asmo X

September 08, 2009, 12:25:43 pm #233 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
It's an ok start but you are only relying "somewhat" on the copy/paste method. Rely on it heavily. Do not reinterpret the shading. And what Mikemitchi said. There's really no reason to go making your own faces. Ever. The greatest spriter ever seen on the site wouldn't do that.

Bloodthirster0

September 08, 2009, 02:34:53 pm #234 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bloodthirster0
all the sprites are great

@Knight - the helmet really needs to be worked,like everyone said,the one with the open helmet is better
@F.Inquisitor - Nothing to critic
@Scryer - Its a good concept,needs a new color like Mike said and idk why,these glasses make it looks weird
@Dragoon - I would stick to his regular legs,the kneepads really dont fit with that sprite,it is a heavy metalized sprite and wiegraf legs looks like fabric and it make it looks strange from afar,but some working on it and it will look great,I loved the pallete
Need something useful to write here

LastingDawn

September 08, 2009, 03:42:34 pm #235 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
I have to disagree, Wiegraf 1's boots looks very much like metal the cloth part around his knees also gives the sprite a bit of its own flair, and it mixes it up, I personally think it looks better with Wiegrafs legs.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

SilvasRuin

September 08, 2009, 04:02:36 pm #236 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
The dragoon definitely looks like it is wearing greaves or more likely shin guards.  That actually makes more sense than completely armored legs as it allows more mobility, and considering how often and how high Dragoons traditionally jump...?  They need that mobility.

mav

September 08, 2009, 06:23:01 pm #237 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by mav
I agree with Silvas, but the cloth part (or whatever we're calling the red part) just sticks out too much, for my tastes. It still looks great though--very well done, Asmo. As for the female Inquisitor, to make her look a little more unique you should give her a new hairstyle. I have an idea that I'll draw up and post in a bit, we'll see how it plays out.

Jimmy's knight is off to a good start (I was about to suggest Zalge's upcoming Knight for the male knight sprite, but we'll see how things play out on both fronts). Keep working on the helmet and try using a different body, if possible. And the Scryer's face is just not working right now. Take an existing face and modify. Priest, maybe?

EDIT: Okay, I've attached the hairstyle I was talking about. Don't pay attention to the fact that I used the Male Geomancer's body, just pay attention to the long hair that is tied into an extremely long ponytail. It's based off the image that Kage posted earlier. Though it's a little different.

MiKeMiTchi

September 08, 2009, 06:50:48 pm #238 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
Yup. Can we borrow Zalge's Knight? :)
I based him on Priest, too. Just get Wiegraf's head instead.

I'll edit it if I have time, then you could continue working on it.

jimmyjw88

September 08, 2009, 11:58:47 pm #239 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by jimmyjw88
The knight is a little off, I know. I'll try to fix that. Perhaps I'll try a new one like Asmo suggested, copy/paste Male Lancer bottom with Gafgarion's top. See how it turns out.
As for the Scryer, I know it looks totally shit. Haha. Especially that glasses. I was actually giving it a try to see if it looks ok. But I guess....Well, like Asmo been saying all the time; "Some things just doesn't meant to scale down. They just won't look right and it will only make the whole sprite look totally fucked up".
Alright guys. I'll work on that in awhile.

EDIT: Ah, so the open helmet looks better? Alright then.