• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 02, 2024, 03:49:16 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

My first attempt at making a sprite

Started by Ryu, May 31, 2009, 07:42:29 pm

Ryu

May 31, 2009, 07:42:29 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Ryu
This is my version of a Blue Mage, sorta... I've been trying to figure out how to change some of the colors in the palette so I can make the Blue Mage I've been wanting to make for a while, but I figure this isn't too bad looking so why not show it off a little even if it sucks?

I made this using the male Geomancer sprite, what do you think? Once I get better at this I plan on making a complete Blue Mage spritesheet, even if nobody likes it lol.

LastingDawn

May 31, 2009, 08:06:05 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Hmm, looks pretty solid, but I am definitely far from an authority on sprites. The shoes are very nice thought.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Ryu

May 31, 2009, 08:22:56 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Ryu
thanks lol, the shoes I honestly barely touched

Vanya

May 31, 2009, 08:34:47 pm #3 Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 08:35:08 pm by Vanya
Reminds me of the Selkie version of the Blue Mage costume from Crystal Chronicles on DS.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Smash

May 31, 2009, 08:35:07 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smash
This looks promising. Hell, I could even collab.

I especially like how the feather was made, also the shoes look good as well. Yet I see countless errors in the body that need fixing, and some tweaking on the hat needs to be done. I could go for an in-depth critique, but I'd need a reference to base it.

For now, I could suggest to get a free file on paint, and start doodling around. Remember to have a copy of all your attempts laying around, as well as lots of FFT sprites for ref. Don't worry about the color palletes, as they can be easily changed on GIMP.

Jumza

May 31, 2009, 08:36:27 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Jumza
At the part around the neck where it splits it should face more in the general direction of the sprites facing direction not the person who is looking at its direction. otherwise its pretty good :)
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

mav

May 31, 2009, 08:40:45 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by mav
This looks promising--I wish I could offer some better criticism/suggestions, but I'm not even a novice spriter...

However, I see some green on the left hand that probably shouldn't be there. And I can't help but think you need one more shade of blue for shading purposes, perhaps between the main shade of blue and the shade you're using to shadow?

I can't wait to see where this one goes.

Smash

May 31, 2009, 08:46:47 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smash
Black from the shoes would do well, mav. That and perhaps, making the light blue a tiny bit lighter.

And before anyone says it, im taking on female blue mage. There, I said it.

Ryu

May 31, 2009, 09:06:01 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Ryu
Wow positive feedback! Thanks ^^

The upper body I just threw together out of frustration, because I couldn't get it to look the way I wanted it to look. The rest of the sprite I took my time with. My goal is to make a Blue Mage sprite to go with Cheetah's Red Mage sprite so that my own patch will have both of my favorite jobs in it with a sprite to match. I also want to make sprites for several other jobs too such as Beast Master and Scholar.

Thanks for the tips Smash ^^ I'm going to go doodle a bit more.

This is what I used to make it:

Ryu

May 31, 2009, 09:12:46 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Ryu
Quote from: "mav"This looks promising--I wish I could offer some better criticism/suggestions, but I'm not even a novice spriter...

However, I see some green on the left hand that probably shouldn't be there. And I can't help but think you need one more shade of blue for shading purposes, perhaps between the main shade of blue and the shade you're using to shadow?

I can't wait to see where this one goes.

That's exactly why I started getting frustrated, I didn't know how to change/add the colors I wanted :(

I'm sure I'll find out eventually though, I couldn't figure out GIMP and couldn't find the answer by googling so I just said "fuck it" and went with whatever I had. I'm sure I'll know eventually though, and when I do I'm going to be working much harder on this. I used MS Paint to do what I've done so far.

Smash

May 31, 2009, 09:24:18 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smash
As I said before, you are still on the preliminar stages.. Don't worry yourself about the palletes yet, you can use any colors you like as long as they're on the limit.

Also, am I to assume that this is a custom blue mage design, and not entirely based on an existing one?

Ryu

May 31, 2009, 10:40:16 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Ryu
Alright ^^

It's somewhat custom, it's based off of the Blue Mage Artifact armor from FFXI but with my own changes here and there. So I guess it isn't ENTIRELY based on an existing one, no. I'm trying to practice and maybe draw a few ideas on paper before I completely settle on something though.

I'm always getting ahead of myself when it comes to my projects x_x I have a list of over-the-top ones that I think about continuing every now and then, and now I have even more projects to add to that list thanks to this site, lol. FFT has always been my favorite game, so when I found out about what I could do with it I stayed glued to my computer and started reading various posts about how to do this and that, etc. Now I'm giving spriting a shot. Gotta love spending all night working on something :P I enjoy spending my free time creating things.

SilvasRuin

June 01, 2009, 12:33:02 am #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
I highly encourage continuing this.  It looks a lot better than my initial attempt at my first sprite (which I still need to get back to working on), and roughness excluded, this is my favorite Blue Mage design I've seen people on this site work on yet.  I'm very eager to see the final product.

jimmyjw88

June 01, 2009, 01:36:11 am #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by jimmyjw88
This looks impressive.
Of course like what Smash said, it still need some tweaks and fixes but overall, it looks good ^^
Well done.
I'm looking forward to this ^^
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Cheetah

June 01, 2009, 03:58:46 am #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Not a bad start at all. I'm looking forward to more progress. In all honesty I was never a fan of this style of Blue Mage. I like the classic FFV design much better. But if you can pull it off then I don't think I can complain haha.
Current Projects:

Ryu

June 01, 2009, 01:33:53 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Ryu
Quote from: "SilvasRuin"I highly encourage continuing this.  It looks a lot better than my initial attempt at my first sprite (which I still need to get back to working on), and roughness excluded, this is my favorite Blue Mage design I've seen people on this site work on yet.  I'm very eager to see the final product.

That's really encouraging, thank you ^^

Quote from: "Cheetah"Not a bad start at all. I'm looking forward to more progress. In all honesty I was never a fan of this style of Blue Mage. I like the classic FFV design much better. But if you can pull it off then I don't think I can complain haha.

I'm not a huge fan of the FFTA sprite. I love the FFV and FFXI designs though. Honestly I didn't initially want to add a feather turban thing at all to this, but it seemed easier than what I originally wanted. I haven't tried making it look like the FFV sprite yet but I'm going to see what I can do with that later on. I saw your blind-folded Blue Mage sprite and it looked very nice ^^

Cheetah

June 01, 2009, 01:52:10 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Yeah I definitely like the blind fold idea, but haven't found a body style I like that much to go with it. Either way I'm looking forward to what everyone comes up with.
Current Projects:

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

June 01, 2009, 02:16:36 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kuraudo Sutoraifu
Here's a blue mage-ish character that I made for someone at Heroes of Ivalice.  It's well over the 16 color limit, but if you want to salvage some of the pieces, do it.

Ryu

June 01, 2009, 04:23:59 pm #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Ryu
After looking at how FFT sprites looked while magnified by 200%-400%, I started seeing how the colors blended to get the look just right. So I opened up my sprite and tried fooling around with the colors a little more, and came up with this newer version of my Blue Mage.

Before -

After -

What do you think?

mav

June 01, 2009, 05:27:38 pm #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by mav
I prefer the before picture...

And holy shit, Kuraudo's is a fantastic jumping-off point--in fact, I doubt it would be hard to bring it down to 16 colors.