• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 01, 2024, 04:40:17 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Chrono Compendium hacking projects go down

Started by FFMaster, May 11, 2009, 04:07:00 am

mav

May 11, 2009, 07:10:24 pm #20 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by mav
If you guys of FFH stay under the radar, I don't think there's too much to worry about. But I can tell you this much, members at the Compendium (myself included) and at many rom-hacking locales are pretty upset with this, but we're not going to martyr out some of our members just to test SE's patience. It's a damn shame...Thankfully the guys who worked on the game are coming up with a retort, so let's see what happens.

And if this is a hoax, there's a colossal asshole out there who just shat on the entire rom-hacking community.

Oblivion

May 11, 2009, 07:13:04 pm #21 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ehrgeiz20
Quote from: "LastingDawn"Well, one or the other. I don't know if Square-Enix would step this far out of the way. Though they do protect Chrono Trigger like a child... thankfully Final Fantasy doesn't have this sort of handicap to it.

Please explain to me why Square is so defensive over Chrono Trigger.
"A little sport before dying, dear boy?"

FaustWolf

May 11, 2009, 07:13:51 pm #22 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FaustWolf
Just so your community knows, I have absolutely no doubt now that this is real. Suffice it to say that ZeaLitY's latest post over at RH.net proves that it isn't an outside job, but I've had some conversations that prove to me that it is NOT an inside job either. I've known these guys for over a year now, and they're telling me God's honest truth. Err, okay, you're modding a game that's sort of anti-church. Well, it's 100% truth.

This is going to be really interesting. Everyone, make backups of everything you've got NOW. To my knowledge no mention of either qhimm or FFH has been made at Chrono Compendium, but Square Enix's legal dept. is actually freaking surfing the Compendium boards right now. I have this on very, very good authority. This is scary.

EDIT: Hahaha, your language filters changed "God" to "St. Ajora." I love you people already.

EDIT: Hahaha, that's surreal. Your language filters changed G.O.D. to "St. Ajora."

Pickle Girl Fanboy

May 11, 2009, 07:16:42 pm #23 Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 07:20:46 pm by Pickle Girl Fanboy
Quote from: "FaustWolf"Just so your community knows, I have absolutely no doubt now that this is real. Suffice it to say that ZeaLitY's latest post over at RH.net proves that it isn't an outside job, but I've had some conversations that prove to me that it is NOT an inside job either. I've known these guys for over a year now, and they're telling me St. Ajora's honest truth. Err, okay, you're modding a game that's sort of anti-church. Well, it's 100% truth.

This is going to be really interesting. Everyone, make backups of everything you've got NOW. To my knowledge no mention of either qhimm or FFH has been made at Chrono Compendium, but Square Enix's legal dept. is actually freaking surfing the Compendium boards right now. I have this on very, very good authority. This is scary.

EDIT: Hahaha, your language filters changed "St. Ajora" to "St. Ajora." I love you people already.

EDIT: Hahaha, that's surreal. Your language filters changed G.O.D. to "St. Ajora."

Perhaps some IP Bans might be in order for square?

And maybe removing all ffhacktics related stuff on RHDN and youtube?

Jesus, this is fucked up.

Oblivion

May 11, 2009, 07:16:52 pm #24 Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 07:29:01 pm by ehrgeiz20
Quote from: "FaustWolf"Just so your community knows, I have absolutely no doubt now that this is real. Suffice it to say that ZeaLitY's latest post over at RH.net proves that it isn't an outside job, but I've had some conversations that prove to me that it is NOT an inside job either. I've known these guys for over a year now, and they're telling me St. Ajora's honest truth. Err, okay, you're modding a game that's sort of anti-church. Well, it's 100% truth.

EDIT: Hahaha, your language filters changed "St. Ajora" to "St. Ajora." I love you people already.

What's the link for ZeaLitY's latest post?

FaustWolf

May 11, 2009, 07:19:01 pm #25 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FaustWolf
The link for Z's latest post is here, though I realize that might not be utterly convincing on its face:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.p ... #msg134267

Trust me if you can though, I've had all the conversations I needed to make absolutely sure that this was not an inside job. That would be of more concern to people at this point than an outside job all things considered.

Oh, hi mav!

Oblivion

May 11, 2009, 07:30:49 pm #26 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ehrgeiz20
I read it. More investigating needs to be done like agent12 said.

akwikone

May 11, 2009, 08:19:09 pm #27 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by akwikone
what would we do if they find us?, would we just become a giant group of hackers by E-mail?, also what would be are corse of action?, if Zodiac got an email from them would he mass e-mail everyone explaning, and then delete are acounts?, it wouldn't suprise me if he's recieved several PM/e-mails asking this.

Oblivion

May 11, 2009, 08:25:59 pm #28 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ehrgeiz20
Quote from: "akwikone"what would we do if they find us?, would we just become a giant group of hackers by E-mail?, also what would be are corse of action?, if Zodiac got an email from them would he mass e-mail everyone explaning, and then delete are acounts?, it wouldn't suprise me if he's recieved several PM/e-mails asking this.

I pray that they do not find us.

Pickle Girl Fanboy

May 11, 2009, 08:34:17 pm #29 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Pickle Girl Fanboy
What about the wiki?  What's to stop them from screwing with that?

Xifanie

May 11, 2009, 08:43:21 pm #30 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
rollback is easy, why would they bother attacking it.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Oblivion

May 11, 2009, 08:44:17 pm #31 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ehrgeiz20
The wiki... It might have to be shutdown in order for us to stay hidden...

Pickle Girl Fanboy

May 11, 2009, 08:51:32 pm #32 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Pickle Girl Fanboy
Zodiac will save us.

Zozma

May 11, 2009, 08:54:00 pm #33 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
but how long has that japanese version been up and running and they havent had trouble too right?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

mav

May 11, 2009, 09:21:57 pm #34 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by mav
Don't worry guys, I don't think Square is setting up for some kind of crusade against the hackers. But for now, just be wary of yourselves and stay alert.

If you're really worried, maybe you should make the forums invisible to non-registered members...

Vanya

May 11, 2009, 10:20:55 pm #35 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
The whole thing makes very little sense. It seems like a waste of their time. I'd release it anyway. How are they going to prove that CC cost them anything? And what would they get for their trouble? It's not like a bunch of hackers have a worthwhile amount of money laying about. At best this is little more than a scare tactic.
If it is a hoax it is very well executed.
If it really is SE, then there are some truly greedy, paranoid bastards. It isn't like they aren't turning massive profits off their established games. That kind of stuff just bugs the hell outta me.
Either way I think I might just pick up CT hacking just to piss them off.
¯\(°_0)/¯

mav

May 11, 2009, 10:47:19 pm #36 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by mav
Well, it's not necessarily a profit issue: there's a concept regarding copyright called "positive harm". Although it sounds nonsensical, it's the concept that using copyrighted material will cause an increased interest in the original material; basically the original work also gets benefit this way. That's what would likely happen with Chrono Trigger in this case. But I think what SE is really afraid of is people adulterating their series. If they had anything planned for the series (which, I doubt they do, but who knows) Crimson Echoes would disrupt the continuity and the attention of whatever SE is releasing. And perhaps that's why they're so up in arms.

Likewise Square Enix is probably still pissed that people downloaded illegal copies of Chrono Trigger DS even after they went through some supposed trouble copyrighting it.

Vanya

May 11, 2009, 11:46:03 pm #37 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
That is a nonsensical concept.
It sound like some lawyer made it up in order to win a copyright case.

Let's face it, though, SE is very good at screwing up their own continuity without any help from us. ^_^

Trouble? Sounds interesting.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Asmo X

May 12, 2009, 12:16:01 am #38 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Quote from: "Vanya"That is a nonsensical concept.
It sound like some lawyer made it up in order to win a copyright case.

Let's face it, though, SE is very good at screwing up their own continuity without any help from us. ^_^

Trouble? Sounds interesting.

No it isn't nonsensical. And it wouldn't be the first time it's happened in the video game industry. Some people made an unlicensed remake of Quest for Glory 2 and had the project canned by Sierra. Eventually they reached a compromise and the remake went ahead but Sierra wanted to playthrough the finished copy first to make sure it was a proper representation of their intellectual property.

This is entirely logical. You can't expect a company to just let random people on the internet do what-the-fuck-ever with their IP.

Archael

May 12, 2009, 12:32:10 am #39 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
QuoteBut I think what SE is really afraid of is people adulterating their series. If they had anything planned for the series (which, I doubt they do, but who knows) Crimson Echoes would disrupt the continuity and the attention of whatever SE is releasing. And perhaps that's why they're so up in arms.

This ^

It's gay that they are up in arms about it, but they do have every right to do so

It is asshole-ish of them to use those rights on projects and free publicity like CC and others, don't get me wrong, it's a right they don't really have to exercise

but it's still their right, unfortunately.. they did it before on that CT 3D Re-make, I remember that website, but  I was looking forward to this alot more.. I mean c'mon :O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIBMbTBW ... re=related

Alot of what has been mentioned so far (including backing up work and keeping some forums hidden) are good ideas though

everything 1.3 related I have backed-up already, including those huge topics

you guys should finish it underground and release it anyway  :D