• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 02, 2024, 02:25:40 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Separating Bard and Dancer...

Started by Vanya, April 08, 2009, 06:25:56 pm

Vanya

April 08, 2009, 06:25:56 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
I know it would require an ASM hack, but I'd like to know if this is plausible.
I figure it would be necessary to assign Bards a new sprite for females, and Dancers a new sprite for males.
I'm betting I'd need to find where the game assigns generic units their sprites and force it to treat Bard and Dancer like a normal jobs.
I'm also betting I'd have to change similar code in both world.bin and battle.bin.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

SentinalBlade

April 08, 2009, 08:31:11 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Yeap, for the most part.

Sprites for generics are already set; there is no code to let a bard have a female sprite. youd have to make room somewhere to make sure it knows to add one for the female. Good luck with figuring that out.

Zodiac would have moy knowledge of this, as he was able to reassign the sprites at a decent pace(when he had time to work on it and the knowledge of hwo to do it)

Vanya

April 08, 2009, 09:01:30 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Well, I've done such ASM code expansion on the NES before.
I imagine the principal would be the same.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Desocupado

April 08, 2009, 11:23:13 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Desocupado
Maybe we are thinking it the wrong way. Or maybe it's an idea that just came into my mind...
I mean, dancer class itself isn't female, the unit that changes into it that is.

Can't we make any other class gender specific?
Anyway...

How's dancer's sprite assignment different from knight's? Gender's sprite have slight different names?
  • Modding version: PSX

Vanya

April 09, 2009, 09:11:20 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
You're right the job isn't female, but normally the game will only allow a unit to get it if it is female. The same with the bards.

Any job can become gender specific, by making that job require levels in bard or dancer.
You could make bard & dancer available early or by default and then make half the jobs require bard levels and the other half require dancer levels. Now you've got a completely gender based job system like in Tactics Ogre. Then you just have to change squire into soldier, bard into warrior, and dancer into amazon.

The dancer's sprite assignment is different from a knight's in that if you force the job onto a male character, he will still use the female sprite. In other words, there is no alternative sprite assignment for male dancers and vice versa for female bards.

Overall, what I'd like to do is turn them and the mimes into normal jobs.
¯\(°_0)/¯