• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 03, 2024, 01:48:48 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

FFT: Complete Main Info thread

Started by Cheetah, April 07, 2009, 11:52:40 pm

Vanya

July 16, 2009, 06:17:22 am #380 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
I wish my Japanese was better. I'd totally volunteer to do translations.
Perhaps help could be farmed over at ROMhacking.net's Translation forum?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Cheetah

July 18, 2009, 11:19:52 pm #381 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Good thoughts Vanya. I have a couple people in mind that I am in the process of recruiting, I think it will turn out well.

Spell Quotes: At this point the use of Eternal's is looking pretty likely. I'm sorry to say that you just completed them so quickly that we as a team aren't quite even at the point where we are looking at them too closely. We will keep you updated though Eternal and ask for revisions as needed.

Let it be known that a lot of work is still quietly being done in the background and real progress is being made.
Current Projects:

Eternal

July 19, 2009, 03:13:12 pm #382 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
Excellent, I'm glad that you're interested in using them.

I'm glad that this project is still going on because I look forward to seeing the end result. It'll be amazing! =D
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Cheetah

July 21, 2009, 12:07:13 pm #383 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
So I just realized something. With Zodiac's new excel editor for mid battle instructions I believe that it would be technically possible to add the new events from the PSP version into FFT:C. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure. I think even having Luso and Balthier join is possible (though the part roster limit would suck. However I don't believe either of these things should be done. The goal of this project was never to port WOTL, but to combined all the best parts of the different versions of the game. The extra events and Luso and Balthier never struck me as some of the best parts. So if you think these things should be included make your argument now, but be prepared to be disappointed.
Current Projects:

Dome

July 21, 2009, 12:26:24 pm #384 Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 12:35:34 pm by Dome
Maybe it's just me, but I dont see why it SHOULDN'T be done...
This patch looks great, and I think that almost everything that can be added from the psp game should be added to the mix.
Luso and Balthier are just cameo characters, but I'd like to play with them without the lag...
This patch (if completed, thing that I hope strongly) will become the starting point for a lot of good patches (like FFT 1.3), and it should be almost complete as possible.
IMHO of course

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

beawulfx

July 21, 2009, 12:29:03 pm #385 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by beawulfx
Well, in my opinion calling the game 'complete' makes it seem as if it should have everything available, ie, fully complete.

That said, I'm not a big fan of Luso/Balthier so I wouldn't really be disappointed, but if we are picking and choosing what to port from WOTL then that's not as complete as it could be.

But again, if it is too much work, or not worth it, I wouldn't complain at all, but I also wouldn't mind the option of picking them up and making the game even more 'complete'.
My FFT 1.3030 videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 18EFFEA0AD
My FFT: Mercenaries videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 174F169EE5
My FFV Random Class Challenge videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... C9F3BD69BF

mav

July 21, 2009, 12:31:26 pm #386 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by mav
Eh, I wouldn't mind if you didn't include Luso and Balthier as playable characters, but I'd like to see their respective events. Unless it's a huge burden, in which case, forget it.

Archael

July 21, 2009, 12:40:48 pm #387 Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 01:35:38 pm by Archael
it's a huge burden to add the new items, jobs, and NPC's

:O

and that is the most badass part IMO\

EDIT: and of course the PSP only events and battles

SilvasRuin

July 21, 2009, 01:04:08 pm #388 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
Quotebut if we are picking and choosing what to port from WOTL then that's not as complete as it could be.
This.

Mustadio loses his usefulness in Vanilla.  Balthier has Barrage and thieving skills and so does not lose his usefulness.  He is much better than Mustadio without being nearly as broken as the sword skills.  Plotwise, there is of course not much to say about it, but it is very nice to have him around and break the monotony of sword skills or Punch Arts.

Luso... he's just a (very slightly) improved clone of Ramza with even less plot than Balthier.  I just can't argue in his favor.

I very much hope you at least plan to include the extra missions involving Reis and Beowulf.  The shot at more rare stuff was nice (still wish I could get the Genji stuff from Elmdor too or instead), but the biggest reason is that it gave a greater sense of closure to the side-story.  This isn't just a cameo.  It is the finale to a strong side-story of the game.

Kaijyuu

July 21, 2009, 01:50:11 pm #389 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
I agree that not including everything from wotl would be a mistake. This isn't for you guys to decide what's the "best" part of each version; it's for the person who uses it as a base to decide. They can cherry pick their desired features for their hack.

That said if something isn't feasible (like 20 slots in the roster) then it's understandable to not include it.
  • Modding version: PSX

Smitson

July 21, 2009, 06:31:19 pm #390 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smitson
Luso's pointless, but Balthier is a must have.

trismegistus

July 21, 2009, 06:38:50 pm #391 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by trismegistus
I personally don't think that Luso and Balthier should be in the game, they were added later and I would rather just see the original features of the game with the new translation. Personally I thought that Luso and Baltheir were just Squeenix revisionist garbage to sell the other games (though really, I guess Cloud was too) but I wouldn't even add in the new battles that fit with the plot, ie Limberry Inner Court, simply because I have too many fond memories of the original game to add much besides the new translation. That said, if somehow they still ended up in the game, I'd still play it and, I'm sure, love it, I'd just curse whenever I saw Luso pop up.

Dominic NY18

July 21, 2009, 08:50:18 pm #392 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dominic NY18
While Luso and Balthier are obviously fanservice (the former as an early advertisement for FFTA2, the latter for those who liked him in XII), neither of them are clumsily added into the plot in a way that revised anything about the game's plot. Luso disappears from the plot altogether after he joins you and Balthier does the same thing, along with being completely optional. Really, they have no effect on the plot at all.

I don't see how the new battles would mess with any of your memories, especially since all except the battle with Algus in Limberry are optional. Beowulf/Reis' side quest gives closure to a side story that otherwise isn't expanded on at all.

Now, as for my personal take on this, I wouldn't care if either Luso or Balthier made it in or not. I like both of them, but if it's too painful to try getting them into the game, they shouldn't be bothered with. I do think that, if possible, the new side battles should be added in. But again, if it's too much of a hassle, then it won't lose any sleep about them being left out.

SilvasRuin

July 21, 2009, 09:01:52 pm #393 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
I really do have to stress desire to have the side-quests/events included and the Algus battle and Limberry.  More character development is a good thing.  Killing Algus is a good thing.  If it is at all feasible, please do so.

DarthPaul

July 21, 2009, 10:14:42 pm #394 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
QuoteKilling Algus is a good thing.
Really want.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Cheetah

July 22, 2009, 01:43:59 am #395 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Well I have come to a conclusion, and hopefully my team members agree.

New events, battles, items, characters, and jobs will NOT be included for 3 main reasons:
1) Too much time and labor would be necessary for too little payoff.
2) Not all of the new content can be included so at this point, so it seems odd to spend all this energy for an incomplete product.
3) Most importantly. FFT:C isn't meant to be a port, it is meant to be a basis for other projects to work off of. But if all these changes are made to the basic structure of the game which our established tools are built around using, it would make it much harder for this to be used as a base for future projects.

That being said FFT:C will do a lot of the hard work necessary to do a port of WotL. So I expect that WotL PSX version will likely be one of the projects/patches that comes after the completion of FFT:C. I'm not saying I'm going to be a part of it nor can I speak for any of the other members, but it is a logical next step.
Current Projects:

SilvasRuin

July 22, 2009, 01:46:03 pm #396 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
I can buy the third reason.  I'm puzzled by what a WotL patch will be of this... I mean... does it still have the storybooks in it or something?  The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that I'm pretty sure should be doable with WotL is the spell phrases.

trismegistus

July 22, 2009, 02:26:52 pm #397 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by trismegistus
Well I would guess that a WotL patch would be as close to a port of the PSP game as possible, whereas Cheetah's saying that this will mostly just be inserting the new translation into the PSX game.

douglaslol

July 22, 2009, 07:38:41 pm #398 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by douglaslol
this ff have the onion knight or dark knight from psp?

SilvasRuin

July 22, 2009, 09:25:05 pm #399 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
No.  No one here knows how to go about adding jobs to the job wheel, and the PSX just doesn't have spots for those two.