• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 02, 2024, 04:57:09 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

theatre?

Started by Yuri Otani, March 22, 2009, 10:54:10 pm

Yuri Otani

March 22, 2009, 10:54:10 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Yuri Otani
any other theatre geeks here? actors, technitions, directors, writers. whatever you do in theatre I'm interested to hear about it.

lately I'm doing light board operation for a local production of rocky horror show, and I've done sound design and operation for cyrano de bergerac in town here. I've also had one play I wrote produced at a local theatre, and done a fair amount of acting as well.

really the only thing I can't get into is directing and stage managing. too much to think about all at once in those jobs. I much prefer being given a deadline to setting one.

DarthPaul

March 23, 2009, 01:03:21 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Rent.

And that's all I have to say on this matter.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Piercewise

March 23, 2009, 10:48:29 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Piercewise
I've been a big theatre buff for about 9 years now. I guess that's taking it a bit too far - I've acted in many productions, but I don't have an especially large frame of reference outside the plays I've performed. Although there was one college course that introduced me to Ibsen and Strindberg, among others...

My most recent project was one of my favorites: a play called No Exit, in which 3 seemingly normal people are sent to a featureless, windowless room with 3 couches and little else after they die. Over the course of the play they come clean about their actions on earth (two of them are murderers, and all are totally despicable) and reflect on their current situation. One of them soon realizes the truth: they are in hell, and this single confined room is their eternal torment. There is no fire and brimstone - they have only each other, and things quickly get ugly. What starts as a dark comedy ends up just being dark. A great read : )

Most of my other experience falls under two distinct categories: Old-er English (Much Ado about Nothing, Midsummer Night's Dream, Twelfth Night, Romeo & Juliet, Edward II) and, in high school, musical theatre (The Wiz, Les Miserables, Pirates of Penzance).  The last show I was in that didn't fall into one of these categories was Lysistrata (written by Aristophanes around 400 BC), in which a group of Greek women vow to end the war between Athens and Sparta by withholding sex from their husbands. Hilarity ensues.

So yeah, that's my CV in a nutshell. I'm taking a break from theatre for a while, but am always on the lookout for interesting projects.
Seto: "Are you trying to tell me that Yugi and I are destined to play card games for eternity?"
Ishizu: "Yes."
Seto: "Best. Destiny. Ever."

Yuri Otani

March 24, 2009, 10:56:07 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Yuri Otani
that's pretty cool.

that no exit play sounds somewhat like the waiting room, which I saw at the fringe festival a few years back. yours sounds much darker and like it has a much better theme. waiting room was about 5 people who had just died waking up in a room and not knowing why they're there. but instead of it being hell it was purgatory and the one who had killed the other four and himself had to repent before any of them could leave. in the end it turned out to be a religious propaganda play, but at least it was presented well.

I've never performed in musical theatre because I can't sing, but I've teched musical theatre. my school did mostly musicals while I was there. with 2 plays a year they did 4 musicals and 2 normal main stage while I was in highschool. (in this silly corner of canadia highschool is only grade 10, 11, 12. grade 9 is part of Jr High)

I was also on a long break from theatre untill this production, I'd spent 4 years out of it. rocky horror seemed like a good show to dive back in on. I feel a little out of place though, everyone else involved in the tech side has years of post secondary education in tech theatre, and I've got a few amateur shows under my belt and nothing else. steep learning curve to keep up with the schedule. cast on the finished set for the first time at QtoQ yesterday, one dress rehearsal tonight and then it's opening tomorrow. such a nightmare.

Les Miserables is an amazing play, how did it go when you did it for school? it's a really ambitious piece for a school to put on. which part where you?

Piercewise

March 25, 2009, 09:15:34 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Piercewise
It is absolutely a darker piece, which makes it so much fun  :D
Seto: "Are you trying to tell me that Yugi and I are destined to play card games for eternity?"
Ishizu: "Yes."
Seto: "Best. Destiny. Ever."