• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 22, 2024, 11:23:03 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Patch Proposals/Ideas Thread

Started by Dominic NY18, February 14, 2009, 01:59:21 pm

Cheetah

March 30, 2009, 01:51:53 am #100 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Part of me wants this to be like a different mode that replaces the tutorial. That would be cool and I think it would be doable, but I think for now it is probably best just to keep it as a full patch replacing the in game stuff. Here is a thought though. Instead of just bosses though just have a progression of battles that increase in difficulty. You get 5 generics to start off with simple equipment and those are the only part members that you will ever get. No world map or shops, only formation screen and saving between battles. People here talk a lot about having rouge-type games, so make it like that were you have to continue on using only the loot you get for passing a battle and what you can get from stealing or move-find item. Just a thought to have a more fleshed out project and less need for custom sprites.
Current Projects:

Asmo X

March 30, 2009, 02:24:11 am #101 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
A rogue-like version would be good, but we don't have it in our power to randomise enough of the content yet and saving in a rogue-like is a big no-no. I like the idea of bosses more because of how different it is, but yeah it might not be workable. Assassination missions are fucking terrible. I suppose they could be bosses with minions and the goal could be to kill everything.

As far as replay value goes, I wonder if it's possible to have an event where a number of characters ask to join but you can only choose 4 or 5 of them. Then they can be the only 5 you ever get, as you say.

Kokojo

March 30, 2009, 02:44:53 am #102 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kokojo
Cheetah, about 80% of what you described is COP. The boss pacth would be to test your skills again really specific things, and add a twist to all battles, sure they will be minions....

What we need is people to work on this, because i won't till i finish COP demo.

Rogue could be possible, i mean, no-save is,but complete randomisation ? All item level 1, with different stats and effect.... could be interresting,
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

Cheetah

March 30, 2009, 02:48:40 am #103 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
I think the saving aspect would just have to be a given because when emulating there is no way around it. But instead the difficulty would be that if you didn't plan right you could be essentially stuck, and have to start over or go to an earlier save anyways. You could still involve the boss battles by having it be like a boss every 5 or 10 battles. It would allow for more variety of battles types to not have it just bosses as well.

Replayability is an important consideration. I don't know about party members joining, I thought the replayability would come more from having to learn the order of the battles and planning what equipment/items to gather in what battle. Then of course this would be pretty good for speed runs because it would be very linear in nature but with a lot of variety and depth in between.

Branching paths may be an option though...
Current Projects:

Asmo X

March 30, 2009, 08:23:37 am #104 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Well a lot of interesting suggestions have been made about what boss battles could construe. If its not a boss rush it doesn't really have an original hook if you ask me. Instead it's copying games like Vandal Hearts or Koko's patch.

Koko, one idea that was tossed around in channel way back was making a unit that has initial treasure box and can equip anything. This would allow you to put random treasure on each level. Unfortunately, initial treasure crashes the game. The best you could do for random dungeons would be branching paths and random units would have to be limited to "randomly present". Also, a good bulk of skills should be based on consumable items, which is actually pretty doable.

Skip Sandwich

March 30, 2009, 08:29:26 am #105 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
what if, instead of initial treasure, the unit had always: dead and immunity to crystal status? would that work? I'm pretty sure it would, but I haven't tested it or anything.
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

Asmo X

March 30, 2009, 08:36:19 am #106 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Yeah except it doesn't place a treasure box directly on the field. We tried making initial dead and max speed but some units still moved before the boxes appeared. Also you'd have an annoying delay as the CT runs up on the dead units before anything else can go. Maybe at a forced level 1 game nothing would get a turn before all the boxes appeared. Also, what if the sprites of the initial:dead units were changed to treasure boxes to make it not look shit?

Skip Sandwich

March 30, 2009, 11:02:17 am #107 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
perhaps, instead of just making the treasure unit look like a treasure chest, make it look like a padlocked treasure chest, with the padlock disappearing once the counter runs down, with that change, you wouldn't need to make the unit max speed either, the battle would proceed normally, but after a certian amount of time, the treasure would become available to grab, in fact, you might want to make the tresure unit slower then normal, so that players have to make it to the area of the tresure, then fend off enemy attacks until it opens up.
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

Asmo X

March 30, 2009, 11:49:49 am #108 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
That's actually not a bad idea. If you want more than 1 treasure box you might have to split your team up since the AI can go for boxes too.

Smitson

March 30, 2009, 06:06:56 pm #109 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smitson
Quote from: "Cheetah"That is some really good advice you gave Kokojo.

It is sad that this thread is so quiet, when in reality it should be one of the busiest on the forum.

Because people make new threads for their ideas instead.  This thread should really have more then 6 pages though. Anyways, i've started on my own patch that's going to have FF7 guys heavily involved in the story. Player jobs are going to remain relatively the same, but the AI is going get a HUGE boost, especially bosses and special jobs. and a brand new story.

Cheetah

March 31, 2009, 12:13:44 am #110 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
I was thinking that the point of a boss rush mode or how I was interpreting the concept is that it would have little to no story, just gameplay. There is also lots of room to change game flow using Attack.out and event hacks. Though it is limiting due to not being able to edit in battle events and conditions all that thoroughly.
Current Projects:

philsov

March 31, 2009, 09:22:29 am #111 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
I'd just like to see a patch with a stricter class-based system -- something along the veins of fire emblem and final fantasy I.  Something like 6 initial class choices, and then linear progression with job level 8 prereqs (maybe even redefine level eight) leading out from there into their 2nd and 3rd teirs.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Asmo X

March 31, 2009, 10:34:16 am #112 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Quote from: "philsov"I'd just like to see a patch with a stricter class-based system -- something along the veins of fire emblem and final fantasy I.  Something like 6 initial class choices, and then linear progression with job level 8 prereqs (maybe even redefine level eight) leading out from there into their 2nd and 3rd teirs.

If I'm not missing something, couldn't you whip this up in 5 minutes?

philsov

March 31, 2009, 12:08:42 pm #113 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
yes, but I'd also have to fiddle with skillsets and ENTD for a little bit.  And maybe do a few sprite changes.

Cheetah

March 31, 2009, 01:03:16 pm #114 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Well Philsov if you got the project started I don't think you would have much trouble finding support for it. Sounds like a pretty straight forward project.
Current Projects:

Kokojo

March 31, 2009, 01:16:46 pm #115 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kokojo
Smithson, i really can't comment on that.

Asmo, as much as i would like the boss pacth, i would much rather see COP get off the ground before doing anything, and i won't do it alone.

Philsov, yeah, you would need a full pacth, but FFT Emblem should be doable. Low damage, all around-evade, low health... Anything i think of can be recreated. Books do lighthing damage from afar. The only thing is the weapon Health itself.
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

philsov

March 31, 2009, 01:44:23 pm #116 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
QuoteLow damage, all around-evade, low health... Anything i think of can be recreated. Books do lighthing damage from afar. The only thing is the weapon Health itself.

My primary focus was just the class system.  I suppose "more like FF1" would've been a better parellel, and afaik isn't CoP going to similar to what you described above anyways?

Archael

March 31, 2009, 02:28:54 pm #117 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
CoP is going similar to Lancers being thrown in water

don't try to defile my CoP

Vanya

March 31, 2009, 05:59:38 pm #118 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
I've been putting some thought into a more FF1 style of job progression, too.
I don't think it would be too difficult to execute either, but for my patch I was wondering how to prevent a unit from switching initial jobs once a path is chosen.
At least that's what I'd do if I was going to limit the game to the 4 light warriors.
The Alternative would be to have 6 light warriors with one job path each, but somehow force the player to only choose 4.
Any other ideas?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

philsov

March 31, 2009, 06:35:26 pm #119 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
I had thought to have initially placed light warriors with most contained job classes, but then I also wanted to have stacked parties (2x Fighter, 2x Red Mage, e.g.), which simply isn't an option without an open job wheel.