• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 16, 2024, 10:24:02 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Panda3D

Started by gomtuu, February 09, 2009, 09:30:29 pm

gomtuu

February 09, 2009, 09:30:29 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gomtuu
Hi, all. How's it going?

In case anybody's been wondering, I am still alive, although I haven't been working on map2gl for the past few months. I got distracted by holidays and then other video games, but now I'm actually messing around with something that's sort of related to map2gl and could help a lot.

I've been playing with Panda3D, a set of libraries for developing 3D games in Python. For quite a while, I've wanted to try making a Tactics-style game of my own, just for fun. I've spent the past few weeks working on exactly that. I've posted a few early versions in the Panda3D forums if you want to take a look. It's still very basic, but it works. (The version I posted there is Python source, so you'll need to install Panda3D to try it. Panda3D is a complete package, though; you dont't need to install a bunch of other libraries, and you don't even need to install Python separately since it's included in the Panda3D package. It should be pretty painless.)

Anway, The good news for map2gl fans is that this has given me experience with some stuff related to map editing, like the ability to select a polygon by clicking on it with the mouse. So, even though I'm not working on it directly right now, I feel a little more confident that map2gl could become an editor that would at least be easier to use than a hex editor. :)

Cheetah

February 09, 2009, 10:27:57 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Very cool Gomtuu. I'm sure you will definitely learn a lot starting from the ground up, very ambitious.

I am very self centered though and I do hope you get back to map2gl some day. Though really there is no rush, I at least have many other things to keep me busy. I had just been day dreaming about designing a completely original map, and got an itch to give it a try and see what you were doing.

What are your plans for the next release of your SRPG game?
Current Projects:

SentinalBlade

February 10, 2009, 09:59:03 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
yea, no rush gomtuu, but you need to get on to reply ot PMs more often, so i can bug you for help while coding the editor...your not on nearly enough for me to bother you with a PM :P which i will have the answer to by the time you reply xD

gomtuu

February 10, 2009, 11:45:07 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gomtuu
Quote from: "Cheetah"Very cool Gomtuu. I'm sure you will definitely learn a lot starting from the ground up, very ambitious. What are your plans for the next release of your SRPG game?
One of the next things I'll probably do is make the terrain types matter (e.g. so land units can't go on water) and also make different kinds of units (land, flying, water) that interact with these terrain types appropriately.

Eventually, I'd like the characters (which are robots) to have interchangeable modules for their legs, arms, and heads. Different leg modules would make the unit flying, walking, hovering, etc. Different arm modules would allow different attacks and abilities, and so on.

Quote from: "Cheetah"I am very self centered though
No, I realize you guys want to be able to edit maps and I'd like to make that possible. I've just never been great at sticking to projects once I get working on them. I'm sure I'll pick up map2gl development again before too long...

Quote from: "SentinalBlade"yea, no rush gomtuu, but you need to get on to reply ot PMs more often, so i can bug you for help while coding the editor...your not on nearly enough for me to bother you with a PM :) I'll send you my IM info.

Bastard Poetry

February 20, 2009, 12:59:34 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
I'm having trouble, gomtuu. I can't figure out how to open the game you created.

I downloaded Panda3D 1.5.4

All of the files in the hextbs20090209 folder are unrecognizable, and the only one I've successfully opened is the README, by forcing it to open with WordPad. It had a lot of great information about the game, but no troubleshooting on how to work it. Now I am titillated, sir.

It might help to know I'm a serious nub.
Final Fantasy Tactics - Thief SSCC:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL73FB72C01D917FD6&feature=viewall

(Fully recorded LP; successes, failures, and most things inbetween)