• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 22, 2024, 11:54:01 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Good DS Games? Look No further!

Started by SentinalBlade, January 31, 2009, 04:19:49 am

SentinalBlade

January 31, 2009, 04:19:49 am Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 08:05:42 pm by SentinalBlade
When i get frustrated at FFT, i normally pick up my DS, here are some ACTUALLY good games. Most of them you dont hear alot about. though some actually do live up to the hype. This list only has a few weel-known games :)

8. Luminous Arc, and Luminous Arc 2

HOLY SHIT BEST TACTICS GAME ON THE DS

Its on a different level then FFTA2, which is a "decent" game. BUT THIS... this has an EXTREMELY compelling storyline, and it uses one of the lesser-recycled story mechanics at that. The two games are mostly seperate in storyline, but in 2 there are a few referenced and secret characters from the first. It follows the old level up and learn abilities system, but there are a few good mechanics, like the Main Character can gain the powers of one of the allied witches, to infuse his Rune Blade with elements, and boost his stats depending on what witch he choose. i.e, the tide witch increases his resistance and gives his attack a water element while also allowing him to cast aqua hammer. Interesting characters, not alot of pointless story dialogue and excellent game play.

9. Locks Quest

Think Mature Tower Defense. You will see what i meant by mature shortly.

How many played WC3? if you have then youve gotten to battle.net and had tons of fun with tower defenses. basically, your in a world where your in constant war with mechanical beings called clockwork. the objective, since your severly short handed until "reinforcements" arrive, is to protect a source well with various walls, cannons, traps, and towers.
A source well is what allows an "Architect" to build things quickly, effeciently, and appearntly almost out of thin air.

This game actually cna get pretty hard, frustratingly so at times. especially when the introduce fliers, but damn its fun. its actually one of the ONLY DS GAMES I BOUGHT.

10. Ninja Town

Well, i played locks quest first, and called it the perfect tower defense emulator...i was wrong. Ninja Town is purely, gloriously full of cookie-tastic omph. You are a clan of ninjas thwarting Mr. Demons dark syrupy plot to destroy the ninja's secret cookie recipe. HAHA STUPID PLOT...right? Wrong. this game WAS NOT meant to be serious. in fact it is pure laughs. it even makes reference to OVER 9000?!?!?! and upon hearing that, i fell to the ground, and made my parents look at me very weird. The mechanics are simple. pick a plot, build a specific ninja tower, and defeat the waves of enemies before they get to their destination.

Not a hard game, its actually pretty easy. and not that long. about 6 hours tops. but definatly fun, one of the best games ive played on here in a long time.

11. Final Fantasy 4

We all knew it was coming

FF4 remake did wonders for me. It visually, for a ds game, is stunning. Its augments make you feel better about losing the characters you invested all the time leveling. Its bonuses make new game+ fun, and last but not least, tellah is more awesome then ever.

the most annoying feature is probably one of the best, actually.

You get a new summon, called Whyte. You play minigames, most of them are actually fun (like tap the horde of goblins rushing cecil. which is harder than it sounds) to increase its stats, and then you can battle Whyte online. You can further customize Whyte by changing his appearence, and more importantly, choosing what skillset menus it has or what it does in battle. give it JUST the fire spell to make it focus on casting that, or give him the whole black magic skillset to choose from. its up to you. The only problem with this is it doesnt have Wi-Fi, limiting you to ad-hoc, or nearby online.

12.Dragon Quest Hereos - Rocket Slime

Rofl, my first game on the DS, other than mario 64

You play in the dragon quest universe in a quirky plot to rescue your villagers. its actually pretty decent, and its fun making your slime bounce around cave walls by dragging him across the screen and then releasing him. lots to do, lots to see.

13. Legend of Zelda - Phantom Hourglass

A good game, as far as games go. as far as LoZ games go, this was a dissapointment. Its not that it wasnt good, its just that it wasnt good compared to other LoZ games, like "The Minish Cap"

It was way to easy, i didnt have to think about ANY of the puzzles or dungeons...

with that out of the way: multiplayer is absolutly fun. you have to collect peices of crystal(they look like tri-force but thers like 9 of them) and bring them back to your base. that is one players job. the others job is to chase you around by "drawing" paths for 3 guardians to move around, trying to attack the other player. they dont patrol, so they are only as active as you make them.

Also, it is worht noting that the boomerang is fun to control.

14. Hoshigami Tactics

Lol, i love tactics games. This came out origonally for the PSX, but it was remade. it has unique mechanics and is actually very different from other tactics games. i reccomend you try it :) i cant explain much about it, without giving alot of the excitement away.

(im really tired, its 3:12 AM and ive been typing since 1, so the reviews are gonna get shorter)

15. Commando - Steel Disaster

Like Metal Slug, but it is alot more fast paced.

16.  Izuna 2 - The Unemployed Ninja Returns

First one didnt cut it, but this one actually kept me entertained.

17. Lunar Knights, I + II

Reminds me alot of Zelda, but...darker...your a vampire, if i remember right, and your in search of power...it has a very non consistant plot, but a pretty good weapon system. not a bad game at all.

18. Summon Night - Twin Age
The first Summon Night for the DS... i dont think it ever made it to gamestop, only to Europe... regardless, it shouldve. a really good game, to say the least.

19.  Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles - Rings Of Fate

YOU WISH. rofl, seriously though. this is nothing like the origonal for the gamecube. this one has about 1000^9 the superiority to that one. it is more reliant of hack and slash gameplay, now that you dont have to constantly have one player carry around a friggen bowl of myr...i mean crystal...

20. Heroes of Mana

Can you say RPGRTS on DS? this is Excellent. you have alot of equipable commanders. this is the rpg element. the custimization, you go around the battlefield collecting resources to build units from your ship. the really cool part is that each commander you dont bring on the field, provides some sort of bonus. like 1 will provide a +10% summoning rate, the other +20 movement speed for ship. while some have an effect only on the field, like heal 2% hp when near ship every 5 seconds...

All in all, it is REALLY good...it even has an excellent storyline and anime styled cutscenes. plus its one of the DS games where the audio isnt so bad and voices dont sound like crap when coming out of the ds.

/list

lol night guys, ill have more in the morning.

Angel

January 31, 2009, 05:49:43 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by superjupi
You left out Disgaea, you fiend. :(
Also, Rhapsody. Both are better than Hoshigami, imo.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

FFMaster

January 31, 2009, 07:57:36 am #2 Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 05:50:13 pm by FFMaster
You need Advance Wars as well. I'll think of more sometime.

EDIT: Because I'm lazy to make a new post. Days of Ruin is much more balanced than Dual Strike, and hence better.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

Asmo X

January 31, 2009, 08:36:58 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Luminous Arc and Lost Magic are fucking awful. Advance Wars owns.

CidIII

January 31, 2009, 11:26:25 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by CidIII
You didn't even have to think about the puzzle where you have to physically shut your DS, in Phantom Hourglass?

It took me a half an hour to figure that out and it was on accident, mostly because I didn't know you could even do that.

Or aren't you playing on the DS O.o?
I refuse to play Final Fantasy Tactics again until I am able to do my FF6 patch! And, FFT 1.3 doesn't technically count as FFT: so there!

MagiTek v1.0

January 31, 2009, 12:57:09 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MagiTek v1.0
Hmph...Lost Magic? The game was about a dumb kid whow ent through summoning monsters 9x stronger than him, though it does have good gameplay, absolutely no story.Mairo Kart may not be startegic but it's fun!

SentinalBlade

January 31, 2009, 05:51:46 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Advanced was is already up there

Raphshody...i never heard of xD

Disgea has been remade, and in my opinion, better on the psp.

Lost magic had really no story, but most games NEVER have a good storyline in the first place..so i tend to play a game through because of its other mechanics nad battle system.

Actually that one took me about 10 seconds to figure out, CidIII :P

Angel

February 01, 2009, 05:15:21 am #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by superjupi
Rhapsody was an old PSX RPG, and you'll find one of its characters as a hidden boss in Disgaea. Fun little game.

As for Disgaea, it was on PSP (and obviously PS2) before it was on DS. The DS version makes up for the audio and visual shortcomings with additional features unique to the port. My main gripe with the DS version is the inability to diagonal throw, but it's still a solid game, and I won't trash it just because the PSP has a more aesthetically pleasing version.

... That said, I do prefer to play the PSP version, yes.

Edit:
As for suggestions, I'm a long-time Castlevania whore, so I feel obligated to toss Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, and Order of Ecclesia in.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Redux

February 01, 2009, 07:38:16 am #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Redux
Why do i not see any Phoenix Wright games?  I like JFA and Trials and Tribulations the best. AJ was meh. I mean who doesn't want to yell into their DS: OBJECTION!

FFMaster

February 01, 2009, 07:55:36 am #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FFMaster
Phoenix Wright games are good, but they lack ANY replayability whatsoever. Play the games, sell them and move on. Still, they are probably good enough to make the list.

Redux

February 01, 2009, 08:13:09 am #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Redux
Quote from: "FFMaster"Phoenix Wright games are good, but they lack ANY replayability whatsoever. Play the games, sell them and move on. Still, they are probably good enough to make the list.
Truth. But sometimes it will take you sometime to find the answer. Especially with Case 5 In the original. I love having Gant fuck with Edgeworth's head. Hehe.

Kourama

February 01, 2009, 08:13:30 am #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kourama
Jump Ultimate Stars is a pretty good game.

Ninja Gaiden - Dragon Sword is also a decent game, if you are into action games.

The World Ends with You - You either love it or hate it but its a well made game.

Lets also not forget you can play GBA games on the DS as well.

Oh yeah and I second superjupi's Castlevania suggestion although Portrait of Ruin is kind of annoying because of the glitches.

Cheetah

February 01, 2009, 01:14:59 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Professor Layton and the Curious Village is an excellent brainteaser of a game. Definitely my favorite game on the DS.
Current Projects:

SentinalBlade

February 01, 2009, 08:05:21 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Downloaded ninja gaiden. Its funny, i actually bought my M3DS Real FOR ninja gaiden, and then got sidetracked and forgot about it >.<

I liked the world ends with you, it was very well made...even if you hate it, there are some things that were just done right with it.

Phoenix Wright is downloaded as well. but this topic was made, more or less, for lesser known games. alot of people hear everyday about phoenix wright ;P

FFMaster

February 01, 2009, 08:38:35 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FFMaster
Then why is Chrono Trigger, Fire Emblem and Advance Wars there then =p

Are there any Roguelike RPG's on DS? I heard there was one that was close, but I don't remember the name.

Definition of Roguelike: When you die, your save file is deleted!

CidIII

February 01, 2009, 11:03:59 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by CidIII
Quote from: "SentinalBlade"Actually that one took me about 10 seconds to figure out, CidIII :P

Damn you, SentinalBlade...damn you!!!
I refuse to play Final Fantasy Tactics again until I am able to do my FF6 patch! And, FFT 1.3 doesn't technically count as FFT: so there!

SentinalBlade

February 01, 2009, 11:20:18 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
I said mostly FFMaster, some are really good and should be commended.

Plus some of the people i talked to played the japanese fire emblem with the translation patch, not knowing its release in the U.S. so i thought id mention it

Days of ruin overshadowed dual strike. a few people had heard of days of ruin, but nto dual strike, even though dual strike came out years ago.

chrono trigger is just...awesome

I have found TONS of dungeon crawlers, where you go through randomly created dungeons...simulating the old PC game "Rogue"

but save file deletion? not a game that i know of.

Id

February 10, 2009, 07:20:56 am #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Id
hmm.. i'm gonna try playing fire emblem shadow dragon.. but first i need to download it..

Asmo X

February 10, 2009, 08:12:12 am #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Quote from: "FFMaster"Then why is Chrono Trigger, Fire Emblem and Advance Wars there then =p

Are there any Roguelike RPG's on DS? I heard there was one that was close, but I don't remember the name.

Definition of Roguelike: When you die, your save file is deleted!

There are a few but Shiren the Wanderer is considered the best I think. I really enjoy it but I suck horribly at it.

SentinalBlade

February 10, 2009, 09:57:49 am #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Yea i found it after looking at your post, FFM, it is actually a really good one. first person to