• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 01, 2024, 04:36:38 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Removing Immortal and forcing Game Over on Guests deaths possible?

Started by Stone of Light, March 29, 2020, 08:05:48 pm

Stone of Light

As the title asks. I've recently used FFTPatcher to give me control of Algus and Delita during Chapter 1 (cause I couldn't bear with their stupidity any longer (it doesn't take both of them to kill a single archer)). I plan on doing this to other guests in the future as I unlock them (I've never completely finished the game so, in order to avoid spoilers, I won't poke around in FFTPatcher too much until I know exactly which battles need editing). However, I've noticed that it's all too easy to let them sit KO'ed and not worry about reviving them like I would if it were a generic or Ramza. I wanted to remove Immortality from them but I don't know if that'll break the game (if for instance, Delita dies at Sand Rat's Sietch). Does anyone know how to set it up so that if any story important character's die, it triggers a Game Over?

Edit: Just realized this thread would be more appropriate in the "Help" section. I've reported it to the Moderators in order to get it moved.
Done.
  • Modding version: PSX

Nyzer

I think this can just be done with event conditionals, since these characters are guaranteed to be in each fight. The choice of whether to save Algus or attack the Death Corps changes whether or not you get a Game Over if Algus is KO'd, for example.

But that might just check for KO, not crystal/treasure.

I do know there's an ASM that checks for non-Ramza characters crystallizing, as it's used in Jot5. Given that it's in the release version I'm sure it's publicly available somewhere.

It could very well screw you over if you remove Immortal without forcing a game over if the characters die, since those battles are set to both load the characters' stats and then save them.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Verdeni

Have you've ever checked out editing the Attack.out or Battle Event Conditionals?
RavenofRazgriz has an awesome (albeit confusing for beginners) tutorial on that!
https://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=6694.0

The only thing, though, is you'd have to have blank events in place to call on when they die--much like the way Algus dies if you have to save him and you get a Game Over. (Because that's done through an event)

Those blank events would have to come from already existing events being freed up, as there are only so many available "slots".
So, The issue I foresee is that if you go through with this you'll have to have events set aside for EACH instance of their crystallization AND treasure status for EACH battle.

Now, the real question here is... Do you plan to do that with every guest? Because that would be LOTS of content you'd have to free up from somewhere else. :shock:
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: V3rdeni

Nyzer

There are a ton of redundant or outright unnecessary events, though. And TLW frees all of those up.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown