• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.
 
March 30, 2020, 05:42:39 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen/RetroArch is recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.


TLW resource editing questions

Started by RetroTypes, March 04, 2020, 11:50:15 pm

RetroTypes

March 04, 2020, 11:50:15 pm Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 02:28:28 am by RetroTypes
So I've been making my own mod with TLW as a base, and I'm having trouble with a few things, hoping someone can help me out here. For some base info, I'm adding in some other ASM's and changing a decent amount of stuff in the patcher, but I'm not getting any conflicts in FFTorgASM (other than the level down fix ASM conflicting with itself) and nothing else is screaming errors or otherwise showing signs of not working as far as I can tell.

1. When editing the mini-ARH spreadsheet, I've made a few extra requirements such as requires shield, or requires spear, etc. But every time I set an ability to have these requirements, they disappear from the ability list entirely, even when I have the required item equipped. I'll post my edited spreadsheet if it'll help, but any idea why my edits cause this?

2. More of a generic patcher question, but is it possible to make a unit either not appear in a battle or be unconscious the whole battle, but join the party afterwards as a fully-functional special unit? I know you can set their job to be Teta's for the fight (aka innate dead) but then they keep it after joining until you switch it, so I don't really wanna go with that.

3. I'm pretty sure I've got this worked out, but just to be sure, with guests no longer appearing in the formation party roster in TLW, their unit/wildface pics can be safely replaced and rerouted via UWEntries, correct?

4. This is just for curiosity's sake, as I plan to experiment on my own with this once I've got everything else fully functional, but if you can use the other half of the Bard and Dancer's jobs to make a new job, why not move them both to a single job slot via the same hack and then open up a complete job slot that would allow it to show to the opposite gender once unlocked for one person? Was it just easier to leave those in place and combine the unused halves?

[EDIT]
5. If I'm replacing some generic classes with new classes, where do I edit the screen that's displayed when viewing what classes pieces of equipment are available to? (The one with two-letter abbreviations for each class) I'm not seeing it in the large batch of pics exported from the other images tab of Shishi.
  • Modding version: PSX

Elric

Quote from: RetroTypes on March 04, 2020, 11:50:15 pmSo I've been making my own mod with TLW as a base, and I'm having trouble with a few things, hoping someone can help me out here. For some base info, I'm adding in some other ASM's and changing a decent amount of stuff in the patcher, but I'm not getting any conflicts in FFTorgASM (other than the level down fix ASM conflicting with itself) and nothing else is screaming errors or otherwise showing signs of not working as far as I can tell.

1. When editing the mini-ARH spreadsheet, I've made a few extra requirements such as requires shield, or requires spear, etc. But every time I set an ability to have these requirements, they disappear from the ability list entirely, even when I have the required item equipped. I'll post my edited spreadsheet if it'll help, but any idea why my edits cause this?

2. More of a generic patcher question, but is it possible to make a unit either not appear in a battle or be unconscious the whole battle, but join the party afterwards as a fully-functional special unit? I know you can set their job to be Teta's for the fight (aka innate dead) but then they keep it after joining until you switch it, so I don't really wanna go with that.

3. I'm pretty sure I've got this worked out, but just to be sure, with guests no longer appearing in the formation party roster in TLW, their unit/wildface pics can be safely replaced and rerouted via UWEntries, correct?

4. This is just for curiosity's sake, as I plan to experiment on my own with this once I've got everything else fully functional, but if you can use the other half of the Bard and Dancer's jobs to make a new job, why not move them both to a single job slot via the same hack and then open up a complete job slot that would allow it to show to the opposite gender once unlocked for one person? Was it just easier to leave those in place and combine the unused halves?

[EDIT]
5. If I'm replacing some generic classes with new classes, where do I edit the screen that's displayed when viewing what classes pieces of equipment are available to? (The one with two-letter abbreviations for each class) I'm not seeing it in the large batch of pics exported from the other images tab of Shishi.

I cannot answer all of these at this moment, but as for number 5. I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but what you are describing sounds like text, not a image. You should find that in tactext
  • Modding version: PSX
<@Angel> Teach a man to fish and he'll open up a fishery to compete against yours.


Journey of the Five Youtube ChannelThe Lion War Current Status
  
Jot5 Leader :: Eventer :: OtherTLW Leader :: Eventer :: Other

Xifanie

2. You'd have to add another unit to the ENTD without permanent dead, but better would be to just use my Special Snowflakes hack and give that unit permanent dead for that battle.
  • Modding version: PSX
Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

RetroTypes

Quote from: Elric on March 07, 2020, 02:39:29 amI cannot answer all of these at this moment, but as for number 5. I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but what you are describing sounds like text, not a image. You should find that in tactext

For some reason I thought this was handled by a separate system and took input from the patcher to show which classes an item is available to, but I now realize that it's simply part of the item description. Can't believe I didn't think of that lol, apologies for the momentary loss of common sense, and thank you for directing me to the right place.

Quote from: Xifanie on March 07, 2020, 08:59:35 am2. You'd have to add another unit to the ENTD without permanent dead, but better would be to just use my Special Snowflakes hack and give that unit permanent dead for that battle.

That is one of the few of your spreadsheets I haven't given a whirl yet, I'll see what I can do and hope it plays nice with all the other TLW hacks. Thank you Xif!
  • Modding version: PSX

RetroTypes

Elric, I'll ask this here instead of making a whole other thread about it: how did you get Bremondt and Aliste's portraits to show in the Brave Story section? You used previously unused slots for them and they show up in the Brave Story fine, so can we edit which Brave Story entries use which files in Wldface.bin? If so that'll be the fix for Simon using the female DK portrait, and it'll let me use way more UWEntries slots since guests are no longer seen in the party (but still use the same portrait for their Brave Story entry).

Also Xif I have no idea how your Snowflake spreadsheet works lmao I'll keep playing with it but any pointers would be great.  :p
  • Modding version: PSX

Elric

March 26, 2020, 10:38:28 pm #5 Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 06:11:32 pm by Elric
Quote from: RetroTypes on March 26, 2020, 05:26:00 pmElric, I'll ask this here instead of making a whole other thread about it: how did you get Bremondt and Aliste's portraits to show in the Brave Story section? You used previously unused slots for them and they show up in the Brave Story fine, so can we edit which Brave Story entries use which files in Wldface.bin? If so that'll be the fix for Simon using the female DK portrait, and it'll let me use way more UWEntries slots since guests are no longer seen in the party (but still use the same portrait for their Brave Story entry).

Also Xif I have no idea how your Snowflake spreadsheet works lmao I'll keep playing with it but any pointers would be great.  :p

Tactext to edit brave story ports. Bios
  • Modding version: PSX
<@Angel> Teach a man to fish and he'll open up a fishery to compete against yours.


Journey of the Five Youtube ChannelThe Lion War Current Status
  
Jot5 Leader :: Eventer :: OtherTLW Leader :: Eventer :: Other

Xifanie

Quote from: RetroTypes on March 26, 2020, 05:26:00 pmAlso Xif I have no idea how your Snowflake spreadsheet works lmao I'll keep playing with it but any pointers would be great.  :p
Modify a row how you want your unit to be (like 150% PA will generate the unit with 150% PA), then take the ID on the leftmost side of the row and set that in FFTPatcher as shown under the Settings tab, either the 169 or 16B box.
  • Modding version: PSX
Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

RetroTypes

Quote from: Elric on March 26, 2020, 10:38:28 pmTactext to edit brave story ports. Bios

Thanks Elric. Got that sorted. Let's not talk about how looking through this section set off my OCD and made me re-type half of the Brave Story bios so they look better lmao.

Quote from: Xifanie on March 27, 2020, 05:42:23 amModify a row how you want your unit to be (like 150% PA will generate the unit with 150% PA), then take the ID on the leftmost side of the row and set that in FFTPatcher as shown under the Settings tab, either the 169 or 16B box.

Ok so I set up my innate dead snowflake in the slot under default (ID 01), but the settings page doesn't change at all other than tell me the table is taking up more space and I have more available ID's. I feel like either the 64-bit error that keeps popping up is keeping me from seeing something/getting an xml, or I'm being super dumb and overlooking something simple.
  • Modding version: PSX

Xifanie

It's not really supposed to change anything else on the settings page.
Your ID is 1, so in FFTPatcher, type 1 in the box that I labeled as 169. That's it. The option between 169/16B is just in case someone has a conflicting hack using the unknown/unused 169 box, but I doubt anyone have ever made a hack that uses either of those besides me.

And I decided to update the spreadsheet to fix that bug just in case: Special Snowflakes v1.02.xlsm
  • Modding version: PSX
Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

RetroTypes

Today at 09:28:12 am #9 Last Edit: Today at 12:10:14 pm by RetroTypes
Quote from: Xifanie on Today at 04:13:24 amIt's not really supposed to change anything else on the settings page.
Your ID is 1, so in FFTPatcher, type 1 in the box that I labeled as 169. That's it. The option between 169/16B is just in case someone has a conflicting hack using the unknown/unused 169 box, but I doubt anyone have ever made a hack that uses either of those besides me.

And I decided to update the spreadsheet to fix that bug just in case: Special Snowflakes v1.02.xlsm

You're too kind, updating the spreadsheet for me. I appreciate it greatly! I think my disconnect is how the changes I make in the spreadsheet get reflected in the game, I'm not seeing where the hack to apply is? I'm used to an XML tab that I can copy-paste from haha

[EDIT] Either something wasn't working before or I'm blind, but I now see the "Save to xml" button in the add-ins tab, lets see if everything works!
  • Modding version: PSX