• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

August 11, 2020, 02:29:08 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Crashes after editing in FFTacText

Started by Porklin, January 15, 2020, 02:18:05 pm

Porklin

Hey all,
Whenever I try to edit a patched TLW .bin in TacText (v 0.483), the game crashes each time I go into Formation.
The edit doesn't matter - I even tried patching it over with the unchanged .fftext and it still crashed.
The same edits did not result in a crash with an unpatched FFT .bin.

My emulator is ePSXe 2.05.

Am I missing something incredibly simple?

• Modding version: PSX

Xifanie

January 15, 2020, 02:38:55 pm #1 Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 04:04:59 pm by Xifanie
Have you loaded the text from your ISO after patching it? Ironically, Tactext sucks at interpreting what it patched, thus you should always only ever open/edit/save a .ffttext file that was extracted from an unmodified ISO.

EDIT: Wow I derped hard, I didn't realize this was about TLW specifically
Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Porklin

So I just opened TacText from a "clean" The Lion War iso (so, it's has the .ppf applied to a fresh FFT iso)

I went through the following steps:
1. Opened the "clean" TLW iso
2. Edited the word "magic" in Cure's ability description to "magid" (same character length)
3. Saved the .fftteext file as "magid.ffttext"
4. Reopened "magid.fftext"
5. Patched that "clean" TLW iso
6. Opened that iso in ePSXe
7. Loaded a hard save (just after first Gariland fight)
8. Opened Formation
9. CRASH

Zantetsuken

Quote from: Porklin on January 15, 2020, 02:57:48 pm
So I just opened TacText from a "clean" The Lion War iso (so, it's has the .ppf applied to a fresh FFT iso)

I went through the following steps:
1. Opened the "clean" TLW iso
2. Edited the word "magic" in Cure's ability description to "magid" (same character length)
3. Saved the .fftteext file as "magid.ffttext"
4. Reopened "magid.fftext"
5. Patched that "clean" TLW iso
6. Opened that iso in ePSXe
7. Loaded a hard save (just after first Gariland fight)
8. Opened Formation
9. CRASH

Reapply all the ASM hacks from the Base Resources pack after you patch it with TacText. I was having a similar issue and it worked for me.
  • Discord username: Zanmato

Porklin

Quote from: Zantetsuken on January 15, 2020, 03:07:07 pm
Reapply all the ASM hacks from the Base Resources pack after you patch it with TacText. I was having a similar issue and it worked for me.

I'll admit, I don't quite entirely understand how to do that/what that means, but I will try to figure out! Thanks

EDIT:

I see now the forum topic - I'll read through this. I might have missed an important step in getting TLW set up!

Edit 2:

Oh dang! I'm embarassed here. I hadn't downloaded the base resources at all. Mods, feel free to delete/lock this thread. I'll up my game, and come back if things are still messed up.

Elric

I mean, the instructions clearly state to use tactext .457 for patching tactext file. Which is why .457 is included in the resources
<@Angel> Teach a man to fish and he'll open up a fishery to compete against yours.

Journey of the Five Youtube ChannelThe Lion War Current Status

Jot5 Leader :: Eventer :: OtherTLW Leader :: Eventer :: Other

Porklin

Yep! I completely missed the resources thread and just jumped to the main site's downloads section to get the tools I thought I needed. My mistake entirely.

Elric

It happens lol. Hopefully this thread will help others with the same issue
<@Angel> Teach a man to fish and he'll open up a fishery to compete against yours.

Journey of the Five Youtube ChannelThe Lion War Current Status

Jot5 Leader :: Eventer :: OtherTLW Leader :: Eventer :: Other

Porklin

So, after using the patcher, tactext, and ASM programs within the TLW resource folders as instructed, I have fixed this SNAFU! Thanks everyone!