• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Politics failing.

Started by Kokojo, June 12, 2011, 10:14:24 pm

Kokojo

''Texas Governor Rick Perry has a plan to bring down unemployment, pay off the national debt, stop natural disasters, and smoke the terrorists out of their spider holes: He's hosting a prayer summit. The possible GOP presidential candidate has invited the nation's other 49 governors to join him at Houston's Reliant Stadium in early August for "The Response," a day of non-denominational Christian prayer and fasting (the latter is recommended but non-compulsory). Per the official site:

As a nation, we must come together, call upon Jesus to guide us through unprecedented struggles, and thank Him for the blessings of freedom we so richly enjoy according to His grace, mercy, and kindness towards us. A historic crisis facing our nation and threatening our future demands a historic response from the church. We must, as a people, return to the faith and hope of our fathers. The ancient paths of great men were blazed in prayer - the humility of the truly great men of history was revealed in their recognition of the power and might of Jesus to save all who call on His great name.

"There is hope for America," the site explains. "It lies in heaven, and we will find it on our knees."

Sigh.

This shouldn't come as too much of a surprise from Perry, who just six weeks ago issued a proclamation calling on residents to pray for rain for 72 hours, in response to historic wildfires. It's also similar in nature to the Texas Restoration Project, his 2006 outreach effort to pastors like Rod Parsley, the Ohio evangelist who has said Islam must be destroyed. The Houston event is being funded by the American Family Association, a conservative Christian organization that's been classified as a "hate group" by the Southern Poverty Law Center for its incessant promotion of false, anti-gay propaganda.

The AFA's issues director, Bryan Fischer, has alleged that gays caused the Holocaust--and are planning on doing it again; that gays should be banned from holding public office; that homosexuality should be criminalized; that foreign Muslims should either be exterminated or forced to convert to Christianity; that American Muslims should be deported; that there should be a permanent ban on mosque construction in the United States; and that Muslims should be prohibited from serving in the armed forces.''

I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

Kaijyuu

People with extremist political views tend to be batshit crazy.
  • Modding version: PSX

GeneralStrife

Quote from: Kaijyuu on June 12, 2011, 11:02:03 pm
People with extremist political views tend to be batshit crazy.

I feel deja vu

Tea

I do not see what's wrong with this, why you point out what organisation is funding this event, and why it sais that Perry has a plan, as he should be the first to say that he does not have a plan, and that that is exactly why they are praying. All in all bad journalism.

LastingDawn

What's wrong with this is that he's trying to pretend that all of America is a Christian Ecclesia. How can the writer of the article not be incorrigible when this man is trying to hold a Prayer Summit? Has the man never heard of Separation of Church and State? If he were holding this on his own as a Christian man, that would be fine. The problem is that he's using his position of power and trying to bring others in line with his thoughts.

Why post who's funding the matter? There's an old saying "follow the money trail." From there one can view intent in whatever the endeavor to be. In this case its not so difficult to see the game that they're playing.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

philsov

June 13, 2011, 08:38:52 pm #5 Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 08:39:55 pm by philsov
And the worst part is that the majority of texans view this as a good thing.  The problem is as much the voter base as it is the political powers that be.

Though I'm quite sure the spin on the main article is obtuse...
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Celdia

...a day of non-denominational Christian prayer...

Am I the only one confused by this bit?
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Tigerspike

Quote from: Celdia on June 16, 2011, 09:05:50 am
Am I the only one confused by this bit?

It means that it isn't specifically Baptist, or Pentecostal, or Episcopalian, etc.
Oh come now. That doesn't even make sense. How can flimsy paper possibly beat the raw density of stone?

Mando

Quote from: philsov on June 13, 2011, 08:38:52 pm
And the worst part is that the majority of texans view this as a good thing.  The problem is as much the voter base as it is the political powers that be.

Though I'm quite sure the spin on the main article is obtuse...

Depends... I'm not so sure though... I'm sure there are states that have a larger pool of devout Christians... plus I don't care personally I don't go to church or anything but if he wants to invite other governors to pray or whatever go right ahead... I don't care.

^ New FFAT website made by St4r!