• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:10:57 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Changing generic sprites to create new jobs

Started by oneartplease, March 26, 2010, 12:32:33 am

oneartplease

Well, technically not new jobs, just editing existing ones. Basically what I want to do is replace the Bard sprite with the Red Mage sprite on this website, replace the Dancer sprite with the Miluda sprite on this website (to make a Mystic Knight class), and then replace the Calculator sprites with the Bard and Dancer sprites to combine both the sing and dance skillsets. I am sure this is all pretty doable with just the patcher and shishi, however, in order for the sprites to show up on the formation screen, I would have to edit the UNIT.bin data correct? If this is the case, I have a vague understanding of how to do that, so if someone could point me in the right direction, as well as point out any flaws in my plan (if there are any), I would gladly appreciate it.

Also, how do I change the default palette for sprites? Specifically, I'd like to change the palettes for the Miluda sprite so that my Mystic Knight units have a color other than that first green one.

fluke84

As far as making the units you should be able to do everything with FFTPatcher, FFTacText, and ShiShi. Replacing the sprites should be pretty straightforward for standard sprites...  Check this out... http://www.ffhacktics.com/tutorials.php?id=1

Changing the palette is done with graphics gale... so you should look into that. Again since I'm new there might be an easier way, but this is all I could find in my searches.

And to the people wondering why I'm posting if I have no idea... I feel the more I try to help people the more I'll understand... seeing as I arrived late to the game.
  • Modding version: PSX
I'm back...

oneartplease

Yeah I've seen that tutorial. How do I get the UNIT.BIN file? By using CD Mage to extract it.... or something? And to elaborate on what I want to do with the palette, I don't need to actually edit the colors or anything that complicated. I just want to rearrange the order of the palettes so that the default one that my units will use will be one of the other already existing palettes. That probably already made sense and didn't require any elaboration. Anyway, I'll go check out this graphics gale. Thanks.

Boxiii

If your using PSX, use this guide. The first 6 steps will help you in editing the .bin files, while the rest will help you rename classes, skillsets, etc.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4330&p=96299&hilit=FFTEVGRP#p96299

As for re-arranging existing palettes, I haven't seen a way to do so, but i would also like to know if you can.

oneartplease

Hmm I just realized that the Bard, Dancer, and Calculator sprites are all Type 2, which is no problem for replacing the Calculator sprites with the Bard and Dancer ones, but the sprites I was thinking to use for my Red Mage and Mystic Knight to replace the Bard and Dancer sprites are both Type 1. Is this totally going to screw everything up?

R999

You can change the TYPE of a sprite within ShiShi. Look down.

oneartplease

Ah I see. Thanks! So that just leaves rearranging the palettes.

EDIT: Never mind. I discovered Zodiac's incredibly useful Palette Editor program and it is the tits. Thanks for all the help everyone. I'll be sure to come by again if I run into any snags in my personal patch project.