• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:58:50 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Valk's Projects: 2021 update (Trance) Terra, Fran, Main Vagrant Story cast +more

Started by Valkirst, May 23, 2014, 03:27:56 pm

Valkirst

Took a few days to clear my mind and it's 3am...
  • Modding version: PSX
Completed Sprites
  • Discord username: Valkirst

Kagebunji

It looks much cleaner, definitly a nice improvement. You could smooth out the shading on her forehead a bit more too, similiar to what you did on the neck. You are doing some good work here Valk, it's nice to see some activity here :D
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

3lric

Wow, all the old Jot5 spriters are coming out of retirement these days

Hi Kage :P

Valkirst, check your PMs

Valkirst

Quote from: Kagebunji on May 16, 2019, 11:40:00 am
It looks much cleaner, definitly a nice improvement. You could smooth out the shading on her forehead a bit more too, similiar to what you did on the neck. You are doing some good work here Valk, it's nice to see some activity here :D

Thanks Kage, just trying to improve my craft!

Quote from: Elric on May 16, 2019, 03:33:23 pm
Wow, all the old Jot5 spriters are coming out of retirement these days

Hi Kage :P

Valkirst, check your PMs

Thanks, Elric I always forget about that lol
Completed Sprites

Kagebunji

If I manage to fix up my computer and get my old files back, I am planning on doing some spritework again too, kinda miss this stuff, haha. It's not gonna be sooner than summer though, when I am back home.

That's good Valkirst, you are improving more and more :D

Valkirst

Quote from: Kagebunji on May 17, 2019, 04:38:38 am
If I manage to fix up my computer and get my old files back, I am planning on doing some spritework again too, kinda miss this stuff, haha. It's not gonna be sooner than summer though, when I am back home

Can't wait to see what you come up with! I don't know how many hours I've spent going through all of your old stuff. lol
Completed Sprites

Valkirst

Working on it still... lol
Collar needs work

Moved away from Super Saiyan 3 TT Rosé

kinda gunky on the left side and bottom right shoulder.
Completed Sprites

Valkirst

Ooof pretty long hiatus there. Okay, so here are some neck/shoulder variations with the middle/right one also having a variation in the eye placement.

Completed Sprites

Valkirst

Completed Sprites

CONMAN

This is looking good Valk!  It might just be my eye, but I think the lower leg is going down a pixel or 2 too many.  It looks a little stretched.  I still think I want to use this for my final boss!  I think I'll try my hand at an Altima type one of these days!

Valkirst

Quote from: CONMAN on June 08, 2019, 11:04:24 am
This is looking good Valk!  It might just be my eye, but I think the lower leg is going down a pixel or 2 too many.  It looks a little stretched.  I still think I want to use this for my final boss!  I think I'll try my hand at an Altima type one of these days!

You're right, I fixed it up a bit. Working on the rear-facing sprites. The Attack animation is probably gonna be a problem since she poses for a few frames while she spins her blades 😱
Completed Sprites

3lric

Kagebunji

Reworking attack animations will be some work for sure, you got any ideas what to do with those so far?

Good progress on her overall, really shapes up :D

Valkirst

Quote from: Kagebunji on June 11, 2019, 03:56:23 pm
Reworking attack animations will be some work for sure, you got any ideas what to do with those so far?

Good progress on her overall really shapes up :D

So here's an idea I had, I wasn't sure what to make going around her so I just figured maybe some spheres of energy. Any ideas are welcomed. Also, this will be an approximate rotation.

update: This is 8 out of 15 frames

Completed Sprites

CONMAN

That does look pretty cool valk.  The Altima 1 sheet has cool possibilities but weird limits-particularly the weapon attack frames.  Among other things, I hate that it forces a mirror two hand attack.   I thought I would make a suggestion on the attack frames because I have considered this unfortunate dilemma before. 

The spot that is usually the mirrored dagger spins around a central spot (roughly the cross guard) and you could do a couple things with that.  You might be able to have the orbs start closer the center and spread out over the first couple of frames (sequentially it goes in an order 1-5 and then repeats a few).  On the other hand, you could have the orbs actually start small on the first 1-4 frames and then keep it at that new max size.   I have a picture below to demonstrate.  I believe the pattern goes something 1-8 then repeats but doesn't go back below 5 until the last/finished attack frame.

I marked the original dagger locations with w# marks

Nyzer

Some vague kind of energy attack might work, but not an immobile one like that. And given that this is supposed to be a melee attack, I dunno. Maybe she does a sweeping claw attack with both hands glowing?

CONMAN

:o  Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees... I kept staring inside literal boxes thinking "of course you have to put something in there"

Valkirst

Quote from: CONMAN on June 12, 2019, 08:29:03 pm
That does look pretty cool valk.  The Altima 1 sheet has cool possibilities but weird limits-particularly the weapon attack frames.  Among other things, I hate that it forces a mirror two hand attack.   I thought I would make a suggestion on the attack frames because I have considered this unfortunate dilemma before. 

The spot that is usually the mirrored dagger spins around a central spot (roughly the cross guard) and you could do a couple things with that.  You might be able to have the orbs start closer the center and spread out over the first couple of frames (sequentially it goes in an order 1-5 and then repeats a few).  On the other hand, you could have the orbs actually start small on the first 1-4 frames and then keep it at that new max size.   I have a picture below to demonstrate.  I believe the pattern goes something 1-8 then repeats but doesn't go back below 5 until the last/finished attack frame.

I marked the original dagger locations with w# marks

Holy crap, thank you so much Conman. Yeah, there are so many limitations with this I really dislike the fact that it mirrors the knives. I like the idea of the orbs maybe starting small and then increasing in size. I think I'll try it out. here's what it will kind of look like since I started working on the rest of the frames so I could get a better idea of the whole picture. I  know it's missing a few repeating frames.

Quote from: Nyzer on June 12, 2019, 08:34:15 pm
Some vague kind of energy attack might work, but not an immobile one like that. And given that this is supposed to be a melee attack, I dunno. Maybe she does a sweeping claw attack with both hands glowing?

I'm actually going to have the orbs kind of smear on the way down so that it gives the illusion of motion and use Conman's idea of having them go from small to large. I'm not really sure I can pull off the glowing hands because it isn't that a new frame is used for the center image, the main one is used the whole time. It is the same static body one and the other frames that go around the hands are the ones that change and since it reuses those on multiple different positions it wouldn't work with some of the rotating frames which get recycled.

Completed Sprites

Nyzer

Hmm. Well, I dunno how thoroughly you can change the objects she attacks with, but if you can, maybe turn the orbs into, or add in, claw marks on the way down? Or even just make them something spikier in general. I'm totally coming in here blind both to what would work and really how good it would actually look, but maybe if they were sparks/bolts of electricity from the start, they could passably come across that way?

It still looks good as is, though, now that I see the finishing half to it. I just kinda think, melee attack, energy balls perhaps aren't the best option?

I think I'd prefer energy balls over something like ethereal blades that totally mimic Altima's though, just for the sake of having something new.

Valkirst

Quote from: Nyzer on June 12, 2019, 11:28:30 pm
Hmm. Well, I dunno how thoroughly you can change the objects she attacks with, but if you can, maybe turn the orbs into, or add in, claw marks on the way down? Or even just make them something spikier in general. I'm totally coming in here blind both to what would work and really how good it would actually look, but maybe if they were sparks/bolts of electricity from the start, they could passably come across that way?

It still looks good as is, though, now that I see the finishing half to it. I just kinda think, melee attack, energy balls perhaps aren't the best option?

I think I'd prefer energy balls over something like ethereal blades that totally mimic Altima's though, just for the sake of having something new.

Yeah, I thought about just going with the blades or something similar but I really just wanted to try something a little different. I have already come up with a bunch of other ideas but I don't think that they would fit her necessarily.

I know that there is a flicker, however, is intentional. In order for it to look smooth at the end, I had to actually cut out one of the sphear frames that is reused in the final 2 frames so that it looks like it disappears instead of just staying static at the bottom. I'm going to try to come up with something to see if I could fit it in but for now, the flicker stays.

The actual hair still needs to be cleaned up and is missing in parts and the feet what have you, so I already know about all of that, lol any advice or critiques welcomed. 😊 

Completed Sprites