• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:25:50 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Interesting Mod

Started by TidesofMercy, April 06, 2021, 12:20:49 am

TidesofMercy

Good evening once again everyone!

My apologies for the influx of posts as of late. I was curious about a FFT mod that I have seen some pictures and some gameplay of online. The mod actually turns FFT into a Final Fantasy X tactics game. The game's story and events are created within the Tactics engine. While it would be great to be able to play the mod by itself, I am actually equally interested in the sprites that are used in the mod. It would be really cool to add them to my collection and perhaps even modify and clean them up a little bit if time permits.

Here are some links and screenshots that may help to identify the mod. The mod seems to be entirely in Japanese.

Once again, thank you all for your assistance!

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=29686.0
https://i.imgur.com/ebsJCDW.png
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98R9RPvNVr4&t=1s
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
  • Discord username: TidesofMercy

CONMAN

I've looked at that those youtube streams before and it is interesting.

I largely checked it out for the sprites as well!  I came to the conclusion that most of them were ugly and would get laughed off this.  Usually too many colors, with no shading and/or ripped from other games.

What is the most interesting to me is a giant Sin sprite. I think it's Sin, I never played ffx.

The sprite is too big to be displayed without some special trick/hack.  I suspect that it has a special sprite type/sequence file.  The party actually walks on top of the sprite in the video below.

• Modding version: PSX

TidesofMercy

Yes, the sprites are not perfect, but they would allow for a decent starting point I think! I am unsure as to how they would be able to add sprites to the game if they have too many colors though!  :shock:  (I am still a novice though!)

I think the sprites look much better than the portraits, but again, those could be modified to be higher quality :)
I also really like that they added the Aeons as party members!

It would be really cool to dissect the mod and figure out how they got everything to work! One of the best scenes that I have seen in it so far actually had a character jumping off of the map.

https://youtu.be/9iwyxW_X96U?t=2119

FFX is my favorite game in the series, so if this were available, I would love to play it! Perhaps even help to translate the text to English!

CONMAN

QuoteYes, the sprites are not perfect, but they would allow for a decent starting point I think! I am unsure as to how they would be able to add sprites to the game if they have too many colors though!  :shock:  (I am still a novice though!)

Sorry, I wasn't clear with my statement.  It's not that they use too many colors.  They DON'T have much of any shading.  (It would be no problem to take those sprites and and use shishi to put them into your own hack.)  Sprites have 16 colors (one is black for transparency) and 16 colors for the portrait.  Typically, original sprites and most of the custom ones here will only have black and then 3 or 4 other colors and a few shades of each of those colors. I mean that they use the same 16 but with more colors and fewer shades.

While I have not done the step off the map type of thing, I'm pretty sure it can easily be done with the eventing tools we have here. 

I agree how it would be interesting to rip apart this mod a bit.  I am often curious about how people choose and implement their designs.  I'm actually wondering if the Sin I was talking about is actually a manipulation of an "evtchr" image like we already use here.

Jumza

Quote from: CONMAN on April 06, 2021, 11:59:05 amI'm actually wondering if the Sin I was talking about is actually a manipulation of an "evtchr" image like we already use here.

That was my guess! Since there is an editor somewhere to modify how large EVTCHR images can be. They're doing a lot of really fun stuff in this mod it looks like, I hope somebody manages to find it.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

TidesofMercy

According to the Romhacking forum post that I linked, people had inquired about getting the mod and they were given a website. Unfortunately, that website requires an authentic Japanese IP in order for people to access it. Not to mention, surely all of the contents of the site are in Japanese. I think it would be relatively easy for this forum to get their hands on the mod if we could ask someone with some knowledge of reading Japanese. We would also require either a forum member from Japan to access the file, or a VPN. Unfortunately, I have neither of these :S.

I would specifically love to get my hands on the Yuna, Rikku, and Aeon sprites to see if I could edit them down with a little bit more shading. The Wedding Dress Yuna would also be fantastic! Again, I am a novice spriter too, but I enjoy playing around with them!

frimelda

hello everyone has anyone ever had a chance to play this or make it work i think the patch comes in a udm self extract updater thingy but i am clueless about that i have scoured the internet but cant seem to have any luck