• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 08:29:39 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Patch Proposals/Ideas Thread

Started by Dominic NY18, February 14, 2009, 01:59:21 pm

philsov

April 03, 2009, 09:15:09 am #140 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
Quote from: "Vanya"Who else would you be recruiting to fight battles?

Freelancers?
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Archael

April 03, 2009, 01:14:38 pm #141 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "FFMaster"Hard Mode patch

Original topic
http://www.ffhacktics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2572

QuoteI've been thinking about this for a little while now. The patch is fairly hard right now, but I want to push difficulty to its limits (without it being impossible). Of course the battles at the start will be easier than the ones in Chapter 4, but almost all battles will have a difficulty increase.

What I am thinking
-"Hard Mode" starts from Dorter Trade City
-Enemy have more levels, and better R/S/M than they have right now
-Team combo's will be used by the enemy (Bard + MP Switch and strategies like that)
-More special units (White Knights, Lune Knights, Heaven/Hell Knights, etc.) will be in battles
-More rare equipment will be on enemies (some stealable, some not)
-Better Brave/Faith (not random) for all enemies
-Monsters/generics will be mixed into story battles

I just want to know if there would be enough people willing to play this kind of patch.

Right now, I am planning to use 1.3 as a base, with major edits.

Suggestions/ideas appeciated. Posting here since I don't want to further clutter the New Projects section.

HEY

what happened to this?

I'd be willing to work on HAAAAAAAAARD HARD HARD IWBTG type patch over the summer

I do all the bitch work!

Vanya

April 03, 2009, 01:19:53 pm #142 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Quote from: "philsov"

Freelancers?

Already got those. They are the replacement for Chemists. They give you all the Item skills for free and have all the "Equip X Weapon" skills to learn.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

philsov

April 03, 2009, 01:26:54 pm #143 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
Quote from: "Vanya"
Quote from: "philsov"

Freelancers?

Already got those. They are the replacement for Chemists. They give you all the Item skills for free and have all the "Equip X Weapon" skills to learn.

So does the Merc have some hellaciously awesome equipment options/abilities?  Otherwise, my first action after hiring a Merc from the soldier office is to make them a freelancer and never look back or touch the class.  Kinda like the standard squire, but at least there was incentive to be a squire to unlock Knight/archer and then mime.

VincentCraven

April 03, 2009, 03:52:34 pm #144 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Quote from: "Voldemort"HEY

what happened to this?

I'd be willing to work on HAAAAAAAAARD HARD HARD IWBTG type patch over the summer

I do all the bitch work!

That patch scares me.
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

FFMaster

April 03, 2009, 03:54:52 pm #145 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FFMaster
And you are right to be scared. I'm planning to have 1HP wall units in the story battle, but the patch is still in the works. Right now, I am still debating whether to use 1.3 or vanilla as a base.
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

Vanya

April 03, 2009, 03:57:07 pm #146 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
QuoteSo does the Merc have some hellaciously awesome equipment options/abilities? Otherwise, my first action after hiring a Merc from the soldier office is to make them a freelancer and never look back or touch the class. Kinda like the standard squire, but at least there was incentive to be a squire to unlock Knight/archer and then mime.

I was planning on giving them interesting and useful skills. But, like I said I might not need to do it that way at all. I'd really rather not have any generics at all or just one so as not to waste the job slot.... Then I'd be able to have a whole slew of new special units. What was the max number of units for the PSX again? 16?
¯\(°_0)/¯

philsov

April 03, 2009, 04:01:25 pm #147 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
yup.  But if you're going that route don't forget, for the love of god, to de-randomize their br/fa.

Vanya

April 03, 2009, 04:24:58 pm #148 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Indeed. That would be phailyur. I've decided, btw to split my main hack into smaller hacks. Besides making it modular, it'll make it easier to focus on one section at a time.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Archael

April 03, 2009, 05:07:51 pm #149 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "FFMaster"I am still debating whether to use 1.3 or vanilla as a base.

it doesn't matter

patch would need to be so heavily altered I really don't think it matters

1 HP wall units doesn't make too much sense

if by 1 HP wall you mean:

1) a unit that has 1 HP and real wall status (no asm) then it is unkillable, but you can give it dispose or a worker 8 skill, which would make it kill itself in one move

or

2) a unit that has 1 HP and an ASM wall status, in which case they'd die in one hit

philsov

April 03, 2009, 05:14:18 pm #150 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
3) Units with wall status asm'd to recieve 1 damage.  Imagine Queklain like that.

QuoteI am still debating whether to use 1.3 or vanilla as a base.

1.3.  Far less changes to input, class/ability wise.

Archael

April 03, 2009, 05:18:13 pm #151 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "philsov"3) Units with wall status asm'd to recieve 1 damage.  Imagine Queklain like that.

QuoteI am still debating whether to use 1.3 or vanilla as a base.

1.3.  Far less changes to input, class/ability wise.

ohhhh ok I get it

1 HP ASM Wall units

I thought he meant Wall units with 1 HP

FFMaster

April 03, 2009, 05:28:30 pm #152 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FFMaster
Sorry. I should have made myself clear. I meant units with the 1 HP wall hack, like philsov said.

Archael

April 03, 2009, 09:46:14 pm #153 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "FFMaster"Sorry. I should have made myself clear. I meant units with the 1 HP wall hack, like philsov said.

let me know if you need any help from me

it will be interesting to see how creatively difficult each and every battle can be made

obligatory: final boss is unkillable

also, name it CockBlocktics

FFMaster

April 03, 2009, 10:07:49 pm #154 Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 08:02:15 am by FFMaster
Ok. I'm still in the middle of planning what should/should not be in the game.

Invite is completely useless, thats for sure. Units will be immortal flagged at least if they have special skillsets/items (which is pretty much necessary for this kind of patch, unless I think of something else). This also applies for Charm, Petrify and a lot of other spells. Unless there is another way around, it looks like Oracle is going to be one of the worst classes.

Final boss will be like END in 1.3. People have seen the ending already, they don't need to see it again.

Right now, Dorter Trade Slums is very hard. If you don't have a decent setup, you won't get past them. The Engineer up the roof will rape you if you don't kill him quick. I won't give too much more. But the Engineer and the White Knight will destroy you if you don't get the battle in control in the first few turns.

PS. I need help editting AI stance. I want some units to run, and some to protect certain key members in battles.

EDIT - All questions answered. A test battle is here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWQ4gDfLXHo

SilvasRuin

April 04, 2009, 12:11:17 am #155 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
Verdeni, perhaps if you fleshed out what and who the character is more, it would help.  Just what did he obtain from the pact?  A few minor abilities and two potentially nasty ones?  What did he (or she) sacrifice for them?  And if it is about extracting life force, why aren't there more abilities in there that effect the life force rather than slinging elemental ectoplasm?

Quote from: "Voldemort"obligatory: final boss is unkillable

Awesome and amusing.  At least make it so that people will be fooled into thinking it is beatable.

Celdia

April 04, 2009, 06:15:04 am #156 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Celdia
Quote from: "Voldemort"obligatory: final boss is unkillable

This would certainly be one way out of doing and ending sequence of any kind.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Sephirot24

April 04, 2009, 01:32:58 pm #157 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Sephirot24
Quote from: "FFMaster"Ok. I'm still in the middle of planning what should/should not be in the game.

Invite is completely useless, thats for sure. Units will be immortal flagged at least if they have special skillsets/items (which is pretty much necessary for this kind of patch, unless I think of something else). This also applies for Charm, Petrify and a lot of other spells. Unless there is another way around, it looks like Oracle is going to be one of the worst classes.

Final boss will be like END in 1.3. People have seen the ending already, they don't need to see it again.

Right now, Dorter Trade Slums is very hard. If you don't have a decent setup, you won't get past them. The Engineer up the roof will rape you if you don't kill him quick. I won't give too much more. But the Engineer and the White Knight will destroy you if you don't get the battle in control in the first few turns.

PS. I need help editting AI stance. I want some units to run, and some to protect certain key members in battles.

EDIT - All questions answered. A test battle is here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWQ4gDfLXHo

Looks very interesting, and uber hard. I have 2 things to say though:

1) I don't support 1HP wall hack. Think about how much would it take if enemies got 50+ HP and 1HP wall hack. I think it's ok if, say, you give it to bosses / minor bosses. (i.e. Gafgarion, Wiegraf, etc). But if every attack does no more that 1HP dmg, you have to hit him a number of times equal to it's max HP, and I think that even thinking about between 50 and 100 HP is too much. Even worse if they are able to heal (or have some minion that can).

2) I suggest minor to medium rehaul for jobs that will be render useless. Look at 1.3, with all the changes made every class has something to stand by its own ('cept Squires). If, like you say, most enemies will be immune to Bad status effects, you'll have to change the Oracle accordingly IMO. If you don't, it'll be as if it's not in the class roster anymore, just a waste of space.

Archael

April 04, 2009, 01:35:29 pm #158 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Sephirot24"2) I suggest minor to medium rehaul for jobs that will be render useless. Look at 1.3, with all the changes made every class has something to stand by its own ('cept Squires). If, like you say, most enemies will be immune to Bad status effects, you'll have to change the Oracle accordingly IMO. If you don't, it'll be as if it's not in the class roster anymore, just a waste of space.

This isn't the "let's make Oracle useful patch"

it's a hard mode patch

if Oracles don't work well in the hard mode patch, don't use them

Sephirot24

April 04, 2009, 01:52:51 pm #159 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Sephirot24
Quote from: "Voldemort"
Quote from: "Sephirot24"2) I suggest minor to medium rehaul for jobs that will be render useless. Look at 1.3, with all the changes made every class has something to stand by its own ('cept Squires). If, like you say, most enemies will be immune to Bad status effects, you'll have to change the Oracle accordingly IMO. If you don't, it'll be as if it's not in the class roster anymore, just a waste of space.

This isn't the "let's make Oracle useful patch"

it's a hard mode patch

if Oracles don't work well in the hard mode patch, don't use them

But think about it. As more and more abilities / items / classes start getting useless, you'll have a lot less variety, and the game will become just a "Use X class with Y ability and Z equips, get lucky, win battle, repeat." And if only 1 or 2 classes / a few abilities / items are render useless, then it's quite easy to fix because you don't have to change pretty much anything..