• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 10:02:28 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

What's happening here?

Started by Melancthon, March 27, 2011, 08:17:15 pm

Melancthon

Hey guys, I'm just wondering what's going on with Arena these days.  I was without a computer for about a month, and when I came back it seemed like things have died down quite a bit.  Has the idea of re-doing all the items stalled the project?  Or is it just that FFM and PX are busy with "real life"?  I'd hate to see this project die, as I believe it has a lot of promise.  It would be nice if people could touch base and let those of us who have been following Arena's progress (even if we haven't been helping as much as we should >_<) know what's going on.

Hope all is well.
Just a collaborator plotting collaboration.
"WHATS ST AJORA'S DEAL DUDE!?"

Barren

Well I remember that Arena exhibition matches can go on as requested but lately no one has requested their team versus another. so while we're on the same boat, I can only guess that its put on hold for now
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

Eternal

March 27, 2011, 08:46:57 pm #2 Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 08:48:33 pm by Eternal248
While I'm waiting for FDC's ASMs for Parted Ways, I'd help try and do monsters for Arena... but I suck at balance, so I'm probably the last guy you want finishing this.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

CT5Holy

We need ideas, really. That's what I think anyway. The goal of the mini-tournament was to get an idea of problems in the current version. We've certainly identified a few, but no changes have been made. Thus, no requests for exhibition matches - why bother making a new team for a soon-to-be-outdated version? No one's given any thoughts for reworking items (imo we should focus on knives and staves). Well, I suppose there was some talk of new formulas for weapons, but I think we can work on that later after some new ideas for knives and staves (or any other not-so-great item). I floated a couple of ideas about a week ago in hopes of generating discussion, but none has happened >_>. Either interest has died down, or no one really has any ideas.

I suppose people are also doing other stuff - ex. pokeytax has been doing a lot of ASM work, I think?

Eternal: Go for it! We need ideas. Whether any work gets done on monsters though, eh. I'm guessing FFM wants to finish humans first. And don't worry about balance - it's beta! Silly stuff is bound to pop up at some point or another.
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

Eternal

What I'd really need is a checklist of things to be done and things to be balanced. Talking to Phil, IIRC, he stated that there were a lot of issues with Ninjutsu and Thievery, which I can see his point (especially Quickening).
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Barren

If anyone wants me to do some testing when the re-balancing is done and it goes well, I can gladly do a mini-tourney of some kind for every one
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

PX_Timefordeath

Quickening just causes the AI to spam it like an idiot.
The weapon list needs a redux. Big redux.
Ninjas are still OP
Monks are still OP
And I think something about faith

Zaen

MP cost for Sing/Dance abilities. Maybe 8 or 10?
Less PA boost from Martial Arts. 5/4 instead of 3/2?
Lower Y value for Suiton. Not sure on specifics, but it just needs to be lower.
"Oh, God!! The Hokuten!!" ~Guard, Sand Rat Cellar

The Damned

To be frank, nothing is happening. Mostly because FFMaster is busy/not around and partly because very few people ever respond if there's not an immediate video going on, especially half of us are all working on our own side projects.

Rather difficult of a project to get moving when both of its co-creators aren't around to work on it.

Quote from: Zaen on March 27, 2011, 09:58:28 pmLower Y value for Suiton. Not sure on specifics, but it just needs to be lower.

The Ninjutsu's problems have nothing to do with Y values and everything to do with having absurd range, being boosted by Martial Arts & the Faith glitch AND being unavoidable.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

CT5Holy

March 28, 2011, 01:07:14 am #9 Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 01:07:36 am by CT5Holy
FFM fixed the Martial Arts boosting already. It should be avoidable and have less range in the future though (5 or 4 range?).
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

The Damned

Ah, right. I forgot he fixed that already. Shows long it's been.

And, yeah, it should be avoidable and 4 range (given that it's instant).
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

pokeytax

Quote from: CT5Holy on March 27, 2011, 09:10:50 pm
I suppose people are also doing other stuff - ex. pokeytax has been doing a lot of ASM work, I think?

Yeah, I can't do memory cards as easily anymore so that's really a better use of my time - sorry guys. I'd be happy to work on any necessary ASM hacks, although it's better if they have applicability outside Arena. ALMA probably has Arena applicability, but you would have to guard against adding needless complexity when something simpler would work.
  • Modding version: PSX