• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Cingin's Sprites - Octopus Royalty

Started by cingin, June 15, 2011, 06:53:01 pm

cingin

June 15, 2011, 06:53:01 pm Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 05:52:09 pm by cingin
Stuff i've been working on (Nothing complete so far)

Seeq Lanista (On Hold)

Dwarf Viking (Main interest in finishing)

LastingDawn

Definitely looking promising! I love the look of the Dwarves already, that's for sure! The Seeq doesn't look half bad either, something seems a little off on the color... but its hard to pinpoint for me. All in all, great work! I can't wait to see what you bring to the table.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

mav

Hah, these sprites are so cute. I can't help but feel like your shading is a little messy though and the sprites aren't exactly FFT style. Did you create these palettes yourself?

Kagebunji

Like Mav pointed the shading is a bit messy, and flat too(especially the portrait). I am not certain about the palette as well, just ude existing ones for now(black Mage or Rofel for blue). It is a good start, but needs some polishing. Also, don't forget to keep design simple(mainly looking at Seeq now), too much details will make it look like shit.

WELCOME TO FFH WHERE ALL YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE! If you have a desire to make them come true, that is...
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

cingin

I'm not exactly sure of the fft palette style (I guess I can steal colors from the official sprites to fix that, since I just made my own colors) or limitations of how many colors I can use.
I'm going to note what you said Kagebunji, and see if I can improve the color scheme and shading.

Thanks for the help guys.

GeneralStrife

16 colors including background color

Zozma

Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Twinees

Basically the word to best describe the shading on the FF4 Dwarf portrait and sprite would be noisy, the pixels seem somewhat randomly placed. Also there is a lot of outlining on both.
The diagonal views for the seeq are not isometric, and because of that, it will cause quite a lot of problems in the long run. The shading on this sprite isnt noisy but just looks odd (the weird palette doesn't help with this either). The eyepatch(?) is just one colour, it makes it look like he has a hole in his head.
From the looks of it, the portraits arent using 16 colours so I wont say much about them other than that the shading atm looks weird once again.
Keep working at it though.
  • Modding version: PSX

cingin

Is the shading any better now? (Still trying to find the right colors for beard)

Kagebunji

June 17, 2011, 04:16:04 pm #10 Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 04:28:01 pm by Kagebunji
Not quite, it seems like it has two highlights. Here is a small help:

Edit: Forgot to point out, I didn;t want to mess with the palette, but that one purple you are using there could be changed to a more fitting shade of blonde and used for a better shading, it will help a lot.

Lijj

Just remember each sprite has a little light above it:
  • Modding version: PSX

Wolfran

Cingin, your sprites looks cartoonish, specially the Seeq. And the Dwarf's beard in the portrait looks ugly to me, it reminds me the tentacles of the pschycodemon.
Welcome to FFH were you can do things like...

Kagebunji

For the beard on the portrait I suggest using Pisco Demon's tentacles as reference, it would surely work great. Your style maybe is a little out of FFT, but you will adapt with time I am sure. Don't get turned down after an attempt or two, no other advice I can give here...

cingin

June 19, 2011, 11:00:02 am #14 Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 11:01:20 am by cingin
I know this wasnt going to be easy from the start, but you learn from experience and messing around tell tell you turn out with something half decent.
Appreciate the comments, did some more touch ups (The head is still the main focus) :

After digging around with FFTEVGRP, I notice that King Ondoria has a nice beard I could probably use as a reference portrait.

Kagebunji

I really dig it now. Algus body works perfect. Haha, this willl work well for a male Viking, good job! Once you are done with him, do you plan to make his face human too? Two versions would be good.

GeneralStrife

Haha, it looks good. I thought algus was a little short and chubby.

cingin

Kagebunji - I dont have much interest in making a human version, but if I did, it might look like this (And I dont think it looks very worthy) :

GeneralStrife- I know, He fit the role alot better then that child base I was using before.

More progress :

Dome

I like it without a human face
It could be a good special character, or even a monster (Some monsters have humanoid appearance)

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Tea

Or a job, the bm does not have a face either. Also, does he have a hunchback?