• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

The K Suto's Sprites

Started by Kuraudo Sutoraifu, June 03, 2013, 10:55:06 pm

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

I suppose I've done enough spriting to warrant making my own thread.  I might come back through and reformat this post to contain completed sprite sheets.  Either way to kick it off, I'm just doing a Velius recolor.  I was always bothered by Big V having what looked like gauntlets and boots, but were colored the same as his skin.  Here is the preview:

Kagebunji

A nice recolor. I like Belias' FFXII versiona bit, so I would change the whites into red, to give him some of that Fire attitude. But this is nice too, separating the gloves and legs.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

Here is the complete Velius Recolor.

SilverRegret

hey.. i like it more than the original.. it looks more grandeur. fitting for FFT boss..
care to works other lucavi?

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

Actually, I was thinking about reworking Hashmallow and also creating a new Lucavi.

CONMAN

That's an awesome recolor.  I like it better than the original.

Quotecreating a new Lucavi

Like the holy f'ing grail in the sprite section.
  • Modding version: PSX

SilverRegret

June 13, 2013, 01:46:46 am #6 Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 06:13:37 am by SilverRegret
Quote from: Kuraudo Sutoraifu on June 10, 2013, 12:13:40 am
Actually, I was thinking about reworking Hashmallow and also creating a new Lucavi.

i tought some like Zalera sprite is kinda ill suited to be a boss character.. Harsmalum / Adramelk is OK, but Quecklain is kinda.. well alright i guess but its WOTL ver. name, ChuChulainn is kinda too good for him..
also here i found something that could be a reference for you
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=684.0

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

I was inspired more by this thread: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=5373.0
I'm gonna try to finish Smash's Mateus if at all possible.  It might be too big a task for my skill, but if I fail, I will at least fail at something spectacular.

Jumza

Don't you mean this thread http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=5436.0 ? It has the portrait and one frame done. The other one is just his pencil drawings of Mateus... Unless you mean you are going to finish drawing it which would be cool too.
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

I started working on a rendition of smash's Mateus but got bored/frustrated with it. I aimed more for the original source material where the arms were restrained above the head and two supplementary arms which I made into a sort of shadow flame arms.

Here it is:

Kagebunji

Heh, nice work on it. Getting such big cunt done is hard to begin with. Is she working in-game?

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

I've only checked in ShiShi, and it looks fine there.  I've kinda hit a brick wall for the rear animations.  They look like crap since I can't decide how the phantom arms should look from behind.  Hopefully working on other sprites will get the creative juices flowing again.

The Damned

(That's a great recolor of Velius/Belias.)

Even though he's probably the one that needs it the "least" given he at least actually somewhat looks like his "later" FFXII counterpart, it still nice to see more definition in the flesh-colored "gloves" and "boots". I wonder how much of a pain it would be to update Zalera, Queklain/Cuchuulain and especially Serpentarius/Zodiark since they look nothing like their FFXII counterparts. Altima/Ultima's second form actually sort of has this problem too, though I could at least see her and Hashy updating their looks and they still significantly similar to their FFXII counterparts; the same goes for Adramelk/Adrammelech even though he's obviously devoid of wings in FFT.

As for the other Lucavi, heh, I had completely forgotten about the attempts at work on Shemhazai, Famfrit and Mateus; weird to realize that's been three years already. Mateus is honestly probably the only Lucavi I've never even considered adding (at least as a battle), partly because I still, to this day, have no idea what the actual Mateus looks like. Even rotating the character model in FFXII didn't really make anything clear to me.

I mean, I know he's supposed to be like the fish-thing attached to the ice goddess he kidnapped, but...that doesn't help me find his actual face. As such, I imagine that he's probably the most difficult Lucavi do from behind outside of perhaps Shemhazai and maybe Chaos & updated Zalera with his own captive. So don't let the difficulty from behind discourage you too greatly, especially if it's mainly the arms that are bothering you.

Good job either way.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Mobius

July 03, 2013, 08:31:11 pm #13 Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 08:37:16 pm by Mobius
Quote from: The Damned on July 03, 2013, 03:47:30 pm
(That's a great recolor of Velius/Belias.)

Even though he's probably the one that needs it the "least" given he at least actually somewhat looks like his "later" FFXII counterpart, it still nice to see more definition in the flesh-colored "gloves" and "boots". I wonder how much of a pain it would be to update Zalera, Queklain/Cuchuulain and especially Serpentarius/Zodiark since they look nothing like their FFXII counterparts. Altima/Ultima's second form actually sort of has this problem too, though I could at least see her and Hashy updating their looks and they still significantly similar to their FFXII counterparts; the same goes for Adramelk/Adrammelech even though he's obviously devoid of wings in FFT.

As for the other Lucavi, heh, I had completely forgotten about the attempts at work on Shemhazai, Famfrit and Mateus; weird to realize that's been three years already. Mateus is honestly probably the only Lucavi I've never even considered adding (at least as a battle), partly because I still, to this day, have no idea what the actual Mateus looks like. Even rotating the character model in FFXII didn't really make anything clear to me.

I mean, I know he's supposed to be like the fish-thing attached to the ice goddess he kidnapped, but...that doesn't help me find his actual face. As such, I imagine that he's probably the most difficult Lucavi do from behind outside of perhaps Shemhazai and maybe Chaos & updated Zalera with his own captive. So don't let the difficulty from behind discourage you too greatly, especially if it's mainly the arms that are bothering you.

Good job either way.

My theory is that the difference of appearance is because the FFXII espers are going into the world this time through human hosts. And that's what makes them take the different Lucavi form.

Technically speaking, in FFXII, the twelve espers were bound in servitude to the people who defeated them, for the remainder of their lives. A glyph that could be used to command these espers appeared in the back of the master's hand. The esper had no real influence.

In FFT, they found a way to come to the world in a different way, that could allow them to posess or take over a host. They found a way to communicate with the Church, and therefore carried their agenda in Ivalice. No more glyph enslavement means party time. Hell, let's bring bach the High Seraph

That being said.. Both FFXII/FFT forms are equally valid. What would be nice is to see the FFT forms re-made to look more menacing/bigger.

Also, there could be plenty of fun to be had in making concepts for other espers in Lucavi/possession forms. Say, a Lucavi Mateus, instead of the original bound FFXII Mateus.
There's no design established so you can get as much creative as you want.

Now everyone sit down, relax and have a good damned cup of tea.
Then go out into the forest and see the stars.

Then come back and realize it's pointless to be so worked up over what's meant to be our hobby.
That should be my motto here, holy s

The Damned

(True. True. It's not like those forms aren't valid. It's just kinda...jarring to go back and look at FFT compared to the forms they all got in FFXII, especially since that would "technically" be a retcon then.

Meh. It wouldn't be the first time I could understand ignoring something "official" from Square-Enix.

*continues to ignore FFX-2 and FFVII's connection*)

I think part of my own annoyance is just that Zalera's sprite is so damn...ugly, really, and not all that intimidating. Cuchuulain's (retroactively) sudden Savage Dragon impression is at least threatening in its look. Meanwhile, Zalera the freaking Death Seraph just looks like an annoying mosquito, which is perhaps fitting given he came immediately after the last Assassins' battle in vanilla and didn't use his Ja Magic.

Elidibus has kind of the same problem, but that's at least an optional battle.

Regardless though, yeah, it should be up to the person's interpretation.

Still, I just think it would be...interesting to see how the FFXII designs fared "scaled down", especially since it's not like it would be mandatory what gets used by people either way. Shrug.

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Mobius

An annoying mosquito! I completely agree.

Let's re-make Zalera dammit. That could do for a fun project.

Im overloaded with spritework right now, so I won't do it. :X

Then come back and realize it's pointless to be so worked up over what's meant to be our hobby.

The Damned

(In hindsight, "annoying mosquito" is rather superfluous, so I'll just call FFT Zalera a "balding clownfish mosquito".)

I'd offer to do it given both Zalera and Elmdor are important, "likeable" figures to me. Too bad my artistic skills are so bad that I can't even draw a straight line with a ruler most of the time.

Thankfully, a computer would be the tool here, though I'm no more artistic that outside dicking around with Photoshop "forever" ago.

Hmm...still, you have to start somewhere and I suppose this would be an interesting place to start, especially since someone could maybe get away with using Altima/Ultima* as a base given that she's the only FFT Lucavi/Esper to have wings. Hmmm indeed.....

*stops hijacking Kuraudo Sutoraifu's thread to make notes about something*

P.S. *I just realized called Altima/Ultima's first form her second form for...reasons that I'm actually not going to edit out.

*shifty eyes*

Kagebunji

Well if you really wanna see some FFXII Lucavi...

The Damned

(FFT Hashmal's sprite is probably the Lucavi I like the most.)

That said, that's still pretty damn good, like your usual work. Even if his head looks...odd to me, but all that does is remind me that I never got around to finishing FFXII still because I'm horrible at finishing non-Action RPGs not named FFT or FFX.

Mobius

Nice, very nice, very nice indeed, nice.

Where are his arm weights? He needs the 7 meter long sideways arm weights.