• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 08:10:35 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Windows application based on Zodiac's Excel workbook

Started by melonhead, December 31, 2007, 02:21:18 am

Cheetah

February 10, 2008, 02:59:04 pm #100 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Melonhead you are a maniac, I can't believe how quickly you have gotten all this stuff done. Having the recompresser working is a huge step. Is there a possibility of the ability to increase the number of jobs happening, so that onion knight and dark knight can be added to the psx version plus new custom jobs?
Current Projects:

Kyari

February 10, 2008, 03:27:33 pm #101 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kyari
Quote from: "melonhead"Updated 2/10/08:
New version:
FFTPatcher - v0.205
Changes since v0.200
  • Added detailed formula information to the Ability editor. These are mostly taken from the Battle Mechanics guide.
  • Added Sprite Viewer with decompression/recompression support. If you have used Merlin Avery's FFT Sprite Manager, you'll find it works almost exactly the same.

.. oh my.

Kourama

February 10, 2008, 10:54:41 pm #102 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kourama
I spent all day trying to figure out the problem with decrypting the PSP version through FFTPatcher but no luck.  

From looking up a few things having to do with ASP.NET applications and .NET Framework, it looks like its probably an issue with authorization to write the file like you thought melonhead. I hope I can figure it out soon but all the stuff I looked through is pretty much new to me.

On a lighter note nice new update. I like the fact that you put the formulas in after I suggested it, thanks. Either way though I can still play around with the PSX version and maybe found out more of the unknowns that are still around.

BlackMageShin

February 11, 2008, 01:40:38 am #103 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by BlackMageShin
Melonhead, I have a couple of suggestions for the item section:

For the formula, instead of just changing the hex value, I think it would be better to have a list of options to check, with all possible weapon effects. Something like this:

-Normal
-Cast spell on hit
-Gun
-Elemental gun
-Drain HP
-Restore HP

So if I want a broad sword to drain hp and cast a spell I just check the boxes. More practical, I think.

For the spellcasting weapons...I think it would be better to have a separate option to choose the spell from a list, instead of having spells and status put together in the 'inflict status' option.

That's it...thanks for the latest release and keep up the good work.

karsten

February 11, 2008, 02:12:31 am #104 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
as usual a great work melon!

by the way, zodiac, isn't it time to update the front page with the last incredible news? soon also we might need to upload some video on youtube showing the goodness we are able to do so far....

trickstardude7

February 11, 2008, 06:00:01 am #105 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by trickstardude7
Quote from: "karsten"as usual a great work melon!

by the way, zodiac, isn't it time to update the front page with the last incredible news? soon also we might need to upload some video on youtube showing the goodness we are able to do so far....
i agree  we may get a ton more people!

NeXaR

February 11, 2008, 02:48:49 pm #106 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by NeXaR
Melonhead, I have a question.

I have my project already started, so I already have a lot of things modified by hand or with other programs (such as the font, for example). Would it be possible to add an option to make a patch in FFTPatcher format, by comparing an unmodified ISO with an already modified one? Or scan the actual ISO to take the values from there, instead of starting from defaults?

I guess it should be a very annoying task, so if you don't feel like adding it, just say "no", ok? ;)

And now, a "thinking in advance" kind of question. Will the FFTacText editor be able to manage modified fonts, for example using thingy tables (for special characters and stuff)?

melonhead

February 11, 2008, 03:51:46 pm #107 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by melonhead
Quote from: "BlackMageShin"Melonhead, I have a couple of suggestions for the item section:
For the formula, instead of just changing the hex value, I think it would be better to have a list of options to check, with all possible weapon effects. Something like this:
-Normal
-Cast spell on hit
-Gun
-Elemental gun
-Drain HP
-Restore HP
So if I want a broad sword to drain hp and cast a spell I just check the boxes. More practical, I think.
For the spellcasting weapons...I think it would be better to have a separate option to choose the spell from a list, instead of having spells and status put together in the 'inflict status' option.
I haven't updated the formula fields for items yet, but this is a good idea for when I do.

Quote from: "NeXaR"I have my project already started, so I already have a lot of things modified by hand or with other programs (such as the font, for example). Would it be possible to add an option to make a patch in FFTPatcher format, by comparing an unmodified ISO with an already modified one? Or scan the actual ISO to take the values from there, instead of starting from defaults?
I've already got something like that from when we were only able to edit SCUS_942.21 files. In the PSX menu there is a "Open modified SCU_942.21" option. I can make something like that that scans an ISO for changes in all the places it cares about. It shouldn't be a real big problem.
Quote from: "NeXaR"And now, a "thinking in advance" kind of question. Will the FFTacText editor be able to manage modified fonts, for example using thingy tables (for special characters and stuff)?
That sounds like a pain in the butt. I don't know exactly how Thingy works (never used it), but would something like this work: Given a font, click a button and it displays the current text (substituting any macros or control characters) in the font you gave it. Or it could possible display the text in real time.

NeXaR

February 11, 2008, 04:09:08 pm #108 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by NeXaR
Quote from: "melonhead"I've already got something like that from when we were only able to edit SCUS_942.21 files. In the PSX menu there is a "Open modified SCU_942.21" option. I can make something like that that scans an ISO for changes in all the places it cares about. It shouldn't be a real big problem.
I'm glad to hear that 8)

karsten

February 12, 2008, 02:10:19 am #109 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
just wondering, could the text be expanded? or pointers would get crazy?

NeXaR

February 12, 2008, 08:21:40 am #110 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by NeXaR
Quote from: "karsten"just wondering, could the text be expanded? or pointers would get crazy?

Dialog sequences in-game can be expanded with no pointer issues (at least on the psp). Menu items and such things are a different story, though.

EDIT: the "pointers" are not an issue with that menu text. It's that it's compressed

VincentCraven

February 29, 2008, 05:54:47 pm #111 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
v0.205 doesn't open my patch for some reason: anyone else had problems in trying to open their patch?
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

Zozma

February 29, 2008, 09:15:17 pm #112 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
hey with the text patch in place has anyone had trouble when casting "poison frog" ? for me he quoted the poison frog quote then started quoting the midgar swarm quote VERY slowly right after so i had to deactivate his quote...

also isnt there any way at all to make damage formula 2E successfully hit monsters and still show the skill gfx? or maybe some way to correct it (these are mighty sword skills)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

melonhead

March 01, 2008, 09:42:50 am #113 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by melonhead
Quote from: "VincentCraven"v0.205 doesn't open my patch for some reason: anyone else had problems in trying to open their patch?
When I changed the program to show a formula "description" instead of just a number, I somehow got this idea that any formulas that weren't used by default in the game were invalid. (Which I still think might be true).
I looked at your patch, and you've changed an Ability's formula to 0x06 (using an old version, I guess), which is an undefined formula.

At one point, I allowed users to set the formula to any value, so I guess I shouldn't remove that ability in future versions. The next version will fix this. Sorry.

Xifanie

March 01, 2008, 03:33:10 pm #114 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
They are used by the game, those are the weapon's formulas.

IIRC that's the formula the Blood(y) Sword/Strings uses so he put it on Night Sword so that it's not as strong. WP*PA*Br
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Austin

March 07, 2008, 08:14:10 pm #115 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
If you go into the ENTD editor and select random for a unit's equipment will it select equipment that's close to the unit's level or could it just end up with a broad sword and clothes?

VincentCraven

March 07, 2008, 08:40:42 pm #116 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Usually, if 'Random' is selected, the unit will have the 'best' equipment (like Best Fit) available for its level.
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

Armorvil

March 08, 2008, 02:38:16 pm #117 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Armorvil
By using "random", I've seen a level 10+ enemy equiped with plain Clothes. So no, it's not "Best Fit" either, as it seems to be randomly generated.

Xifanie

March 08, 2008, 04:19:25 pm #118 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
That's not likely at all. You probably just checked the wrong unit that had clothes set as armor and not random.

By the way, you'd end up fighting a lvl99 thief with a dagger if the dagger's item level is 99.

So unless you changed the clothes (or the other clothes') item level, that wouldn't happen.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Armorvil

March 08, 2008, 08:39:46 pm #119 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Armorvil
You're wrong. Run some tests if you don't believe me, Zodiac.

Another example I witnessed tonight : a level 25 Lancer with only <Random> in his equipment slots, was outfitted with a Partisan, a Flame Shield, a Platina Helmet, and... ...a Linen Robe  :shock:
And the Linen Robe is still a level 3 item.