• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Job & Skill Proposals/Idea Thread

Started by Vanya, November 21, 2009, 11:35:58 am

SilvasRuin

That depends on what you would accept as Jump.  Attacks can be made with that animation, but I've not yet seen anyone manage to pull off a perfect copy of the vanilla Jump.  The best (and only) emulation I've seen has the unit not Jump until after the charging is over rather than obtain the Jump status while charging, the charge time isn't based on speed, the damage doesn't improve with spears, and the damage shows up before the attack connects.

Pickle Girl Fanboy

Job idea:

Athleticist?
Striker?

A guy, or gal, who attacks with soccer balls and various sporting equipment and techniques.

I got this idea from my friend, a soccer fan, who told me this story of this one player who headbutted another guy in the chest and sent him flying.  I was thinking, what if you turned soccer into a fighting style?
One part parkour
One part Krav Maga
One part Keysi Fighting Method
Three parts football hooligan
Six parts crazy soccer player.

For weapons, this dude could use soccer balls, which he could kick or headbutt (is that what it's called?).
Image:  Guy kicks a ball at a dragon, ball bounces off dragon, guy headbutts the ball on the rebound and it nails a squire, ball flies back towards guy, guy bounces it off his chest and KO's a Dancer by knocking her right in the face, ball bounces high in the air, guy catches it.

Maybe a cricket bat?  Baseball bat?  No, that's too close to a staff.

Or maybe the whole cricket bat/baseball bat could be another job class, built in opposition to the Striker.

Holy shit!  New idea.  Final Fantasy Tactics: Sports.  Every job class could be a particular athlete from a particular sport.

FFT: Athletics?

Samuraiblackbelt

<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

PGF: "You are ignoring this user. Click to see their post."

Vanya

Alright! Time to get off my but and start doing some of these tutorials.
I'm gonna shoot for 1 each week until they're all done.
Are there ant requests for which one to start on first? (choose from those listed in the first post)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Skip Sandwich

how about that 'full metal' style alchemist you mentioned? I'm especially interested in that because it promises to do something really interesting with the geomancy skillset. I never really cared for geomancy, mostly because as is, the 'terrain-dependant' skillset really doesn't depend on terrain at all, as all the skills are more or less the same, so you really don't have to bother paying much attention to what terrain you're standing on.
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

Zaen

I usually change geomancy so that the formula fits the elements being used. It makes you think more when using the class, and it gives each ability a build that makes it better, instead of everything being Even PA, max out MA for good damage.
"Oh, God!! The Hokuten!!" ~Guard, Sand Rat Cellar

Vanya

OK, then I'll begin with the Alchemists.
I'm going to go over all major variations in each job's tutorial.
So, it'll include "Uber Chemist", "Item Conjuror", & "Full Metal" variants.
¯\(°_0)/¯

formerdeathcorps

QuoteTechnically you can make an attack-only berserker out of mime with little trouble. Just set berserk to innate and give him equip change as innate. Since berserk triggers only after the unit is targeted by the enemy, you can briefly retain control of your mime/berserker and equip things (including clothing and weapons, if you flag those). However, anything equipped will be permanently lost after the battle (and weapons are lost immediately after use).

(In fact, it works even better since a berserk mime can't imitate actions, so unless someone removes the status effect, you have a less-glitched new class.)

From what I posted on another thread.  Considering that this class results in lost equipment (and money) every time you use it and has no skills, it wouldn't be (too) broken even with martial arts (supplemented by attack up or blade grasp + berserk allowing counters) since the AI is controlling the unit.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Clementine

-cough- I forgot about this thread.
Anyway, I'd posted something about fencers replacing geomancers. The only time I've ever used a geomancer is for a physical tank, just because they've got a pretty good PA but Geomancy sucks aside from the status effects from things like Lava Ball. Vanya's suggestion was short ranged, accurate and fast attacks. I liked Nighthawk and Piercethrough from FFTA, so I'd thought about keeping that. I've also worked on the weapons for them by replacing the four flails with rapiers; scarlette, djinn flyssa, diabolique and femme fatale.

I'd also mentioned something about replacing the Dragoner with an Elementalist and giving her the geomancy skills, just at an MP cost with a faith based damage formula.

What are your ideas on that?

formerdeathcorps

What I did for geomancer was to give them different formulas depending on the terrain and status effect inflicted, so that rarer terrain types and less incapacitating status effects gained better damage while more common terrain/more dangerous status effects dealt less damage.

Also, you can't give the geomancy skills MP costs (I tried this and failed).  What you can do, however, is give them charge times, or make new skills, one for all the natural elements and give those MP costs with the geomancer damage formulas (unfortunately, this won't be tied to terrain).

As for fencer, you need to flag all their attacks that use any weapon formula (00, 01, 02, 06, etc.) as sword only because otherwise, gunners could exploit any attack to deal 999 damage via the same exploit as wild blow from 1.3029.
What I'd like to see, though, is the use of the SP*WP formula on fencer for skill damage.  You also need MP dependence, reduced damage, or elemental damage on the ranged attack (Nighthawk?), Swarmstrike, and Piecethrough (or people will choose that over the regular attack button).
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Clementine

I have the elementalist tested already and everything works fine... huh. Everything is worth 10 MP and it all works fine. But I re-routed it and just put everything under Elemental into an All Magic that's never used.
And I realized the gunner thing just a few minutes ago. I'm working on it now. As for MP dependence, that's already done. The moves I've given them so far are Nighthawk (dark, 8 MP), Scream, Ma/Mi/Pow/Sp ruins (10 MP), and an ultima masher-like attack. I realize that's from the Assassin job command from FFTA, but I always thought a fencer should have it. I'm thinking the same thing for the SP*WP formula.

formerdeathcorps

Hmm, maybe it's something wrong with Magic Sword (the skill set I used) or with the original geomancer formulas.

Clementine

Must be. I'm testing it right now. The only problem is, I had to change all of the rapiers to the "sword" category, and that means that any sword-equipping class can get them. Which kind of defeats the purpose. :/ But I suppose it works. I could always change the knight swords to regular swords, which wouldn't be a super big deal anyway.

Pseudo

I'm planning to replace Dark Knight and hopefully Onion Knight with two of my own classes, but there aren't as many blank spots for new skills in the PSP version sadly. So I was wondering if I could take an already existing skill and alter it into a brand new skill. If so, what would I need to do?

Oh yeah, the classes I'm going to implement are; Asura - High power, close range attacks, low movement, low HP
Panzer Knight - Bow wielding knight

Vanya

Well, there's nothing much to besides making your changes in the Ability tab of the patcher and then going into the skill set for the job you want the new ability to appear in and adding it.

What sort of specific skills are you planning?
¯\(°_0)/¯

Pseudo

Asura is going to have single target power moves and one or two close range AoE's that target only panels around the caster. Panzer Knight will have elemental long range moves and maybe a few moves that'll resemble the Hunter/Ranger abilities in FFTAdvance. And now that I'm sure of how to make the skills I'll get right on that and try to get a demo vid up. :P

formerdeathcorps

If you're going to make ranger abilities, here are a couple things to avoid:

1. Sonicboom can't use the normal weapon formula or you'll have a massively bad exploit for guns (unless you change the formula for guns).
2. You'll need ASM for sidewinder.
3. You'll need ASM for advice.

Pseudo

Thanks for the advice, heh. I'll keep those in mind as I plan out the skills.

-Edit-
Ah, lame PSP version. It seems the Dark Knight skills are hardcoded and I can't alter them. Guess I'll have to change Arithmetician instead.

formerdeathcorps

Quote from: "formerdeathcorps"Hmm, maybe it's something wrong with Magic Sword (the skill set I used) or with the original geomancer formulas.

I think I can answer this now.
The original geomancer (7E-89) and samurai spells (4C-55) are hard-coded by their location in FFTPatcher to their terrain/weapon dependencies.  Even if you change the damage formula, you cannot modify the dependence.  Thus, these attacks cannot cost MP (without ASM), even if you specify them to cost MP (in the Patcher).  (You can, however, make them subject to charging.)  Worse, like chemist, lancer, samurai, and calculator, only the specified generic move-set can both contain the required skills and be usable by generics.  (Duplicate skill-sets can certainly exist, except only enemies will be able to use them.  Similarly, you can delete, but not add moves to these move-sets.)  Even if you tried to set a special unit class to have his base job as the generic moveset (and not a unusable duplicate like A1 item), his ability to use the generic moveset will be dependent on his mastery of the generic job (as opposed to his "special class squire" job mastery).