• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 04:57:14 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Rofokare, A possible origin for the wierd gender bending time mage...

Started by Vanya, August 07, 2011, 03:08:18 am

Vanya

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifuge_Rofocale

Stumbled upon this while researching the Grand Grimoire.

(@Mods: If this is in the wrong section, please move it. Wasn't sure where to place it.)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Eternal

I remember reading that with LD a very long time ago when we were studying the origin of each Lucavi. Funny that it all intertwines with a "Grand Grimoire", given how important the Gran Grimoire is in Ivalician lore.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

formerdeathcorps

I bet the Christian zealots will have a field day with stuff like this.

1) FFT is blasphemy since the "Jesus" figure is evil.
2) The Templars exist too!  They rule the Church (which is clearly not how the real Catholic Church is run), and the hero escapes by following his own will (rather than God's).  This must mean Square is spreading satanic blasphemy to reduce the horror our children have towards the Devil, his kind, and his tactics, as well as their faith in God to resolve the problem!
3) FFTA's entire world is essentially a fell compact that subtly encourages bestiality.  No wonder...since the Grand Grimoire is used to enter it, which is essentially calling Lucifer himself.

More seriously though, this sounds quite interesting.  More historical/mythical allusions, but why just throw Rofokare in FFT without any storyline backup?
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Kokojo

that game is BAD NEWS. I figured in the end the true savior would come along and denounce the last boss but it never happened.

The game is extremely anti-christian and makes no attempt to hide the fact. It all boils down to the message "Christianity is fake and has bad intentinos" which is patently false. Don't play it unless you want to see the extent of a good portion of Japan's population's hatred of our religion.

But seriously, Weird discovery, Eternal. :P
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

GeneralStrife

Man, I don't really care. I still like the game. I'm probably the most thick skinned MF'er here.

Pickle Girl Fanboy

I don't think the distrust of Abrahamic religions in FFT is derived from Japanese loathing of the west - if it was, then there would be another religion, positively portrayed, which reflects the beliefs common in Japan.  If the negative portrayal of Abrahamic religion means that FFT is anti-Christian, then the negative portrayals of feudalism, entrenched elites, inheritied wealth and power, and people who will do anything to achieve thier goal (Delita) also mean that FFT is anti-whatever those things are.

You are reading into this too much.  It's just a story.  If anything the game's anti-authority, since it says as much in the ending FMV where the narrator says something like, "I tell this story so future generations know the truth and have a hero who accomplished great things, flawed and weak as he was, by sacrificing his good name and his place in society", all while Ramza and his sister ride off into the sunset and an ambigiously incestious future.

The Japanese had an organized religion, a variant of Budhism infused with Taoist animism and Zen mind-games, which, combined with ancestor-veneration and worship of the divine God-Emperor of Japan, produced a regime which raped and murdered across half the Earth before we nuked them and they discovered they were pacifists.  FFT's negative portrayal is of all religion, organized in the form of the Church and disorganized in the form of the fairy-tales which turn out wrong, show the author's deep distrust and disenchantment of all religion.  Notice I said distrust, not hate.  FFT is part cautionary tale, not part anti-Christian diatribe.

Vanya

I just thought it was cool that Rofokare isn't just some random shit some writer made up.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯