• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 07:37:08 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

FFT Ω - mod help

Started by Luc, September 12, 2011, 07:31:23 pm

Luc

September 12, 2011, 07:31:23 pm Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 09:18:51 am by Luc
OK, so I've started work on my Mod, so far I've just been doing crap through FFTP, I haven't even tested the changes I have made yet haha (well thats not entirely true, i did load up a game after modding the squire job to see if stuff worked and it did). Anyways, I've of course been tracking all the changes I've made and I've been using a highlighting system if anyone can help me figure out how to implement/change the green parts that'd be great

I want to get the Job modifications done first and foremost-- but I have no Idea how to do the following; rename things, create new abilities/jobs, remove jobs/abilities entirely

Also, if someone has a memcard file (usable in ePSXe) that has a CH.1 save with all jobs @ max level and max JP to spend but nothing learned - that would be helpful for testing changes out on, thanks

Attached .doc file has the current modifications I've made.

Eternal

Your best bet would be to download the FFTPatcher Suite and start familiarising yourself with it. Best way to learn is to play around with it!
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Celdia

Looking over your notes Luc, I see a lot of things there that have either already been made or could easily be made from existing hacks without too much work. As Eternal said, get your hands on FFTPatcher and the other tools that get distributed with it and start playing around. You might also make use of the information here: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=7605.0 and then here: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=6327.0 once you're feeling adventurous. Reading everything you can find in the Help and Tutorials sections of the forum will probably answer a lot of your basic questions. If you need some information about how things work in FFTP, check the Wiki here: http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Main_Page as a lot of things are covered there. If all that still fails, come join us in chat on IRC.

A quick note: When you get FFTPatcher, I think it comes bundled default with the WotL skill/item names. If you want the vanilla names instead, delete the Resources.zip file that comes with it.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Luc

September 13, 2011, 04:45:14 am #3 Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 05:22:07 am by Luc
would I be able to make all these modifications with in FFTP? Or would I have to use something else as well?

EDIT: ok so I've started working on it,, figuring stuff out as I go, Ill post later with more specific questions (atm I'm pretty much just going through and tweaking the abilities and skill sets as thats pretty easy to figure out. But there are a lot of things I have no clue how to do yet lol (for example modifying how the skills act - the forumulas)

is there a list anywhere of all the AI behavior's do and also the check boxes on the bottom of the page when modifying abilities? (for example if I check 'Hit Caster' does that mean it will interrupt the target's casting? or does that mean it also damages the one who uses the skill?)

Pride

The skill would also damage the user.
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Luc

September 13, 2011, 06:01:10 am #5 Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 06:57:49 am by Luc
Quote from: Pride on September 13, 2011, 05:42:12 am
The skill would also damage the user.

cool thanks

EDIT; ahh and I see infro on the other stuff in the wiki sweet
EDIT 2; modified OP, check it

Luc

so, ya, can anyone tell me how to make new skills in FFTPatcher or is that not possible?

formerdeathcorps

You take a skill you want to override or one of the blank ones before potion.  You simply insert the desired formula/range/AoE/X/Y value.  To learn about this process, it is helpful to start by copying the flags from existing skills (so if you want to make Cure 5, compare from Cure 4 and copy the AI and ability hit flags accordingly).  Once you get a feel for it, you can figure out which flags do what (approximately) and then simply use your judgment to set AI and hit flags.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Celdia

Maybe its because I'm using OpenOffice and not Word or some other program, but your .doc in the OP wasn't highlighted in any colors at all.

As for making new skills, if you mean something completely new without replacing any existing skills...its possible but there are only a handful of slots that aren't in use. Sadly I don't know if we have a compiled list anywhere that tells what they are.

Luc

Quote from: formerdeathcorps on September 22, 2011, 04:41:30 am
You take a skill you want to override or one of the blank ones before potion.  You simply insert the desired formula/range/AoE/X/Y value.  To learn about this process, it is helpful to start by copying the flags from existing skills (so if you want to make Cure 5, compare from Cure 4 and copy the AI and ability hit flags accordingly).  Once you get a feel for it, you can figure out which flags do what (approximately) and then simply use your judgment to set AI and hit flags.

ok but how do you modify its name?

Celdia

Quote from: Luc on September 22, 2011, 04:43:39 am
ok but how do you modify its name?

To change the names of skills in-game you need to use FFTacText. To change the names displayed in FFTP you need to edit the appropriate files in the Resources.zip that came with it. If you deleted Resources.zip to get the vanilla names in FFTP, there is a function under File that says Generate Resources.zip. You can use that to make a new one.

Luc

lol feel like my head is going to explode, managed to create the skill and name it, but i cant get it to work T_T when I use it in game it just does nothing and skips straight to wait

Celdia

Take a screenshot of the skill in FFTP with an explanation of the intended effect and maybe we can point out what the problem is.