• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:08:52 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Duel casting feasible? (not a request, simply a theoretical)

Started by Talcall, February 10, 2020, 04:49:18 am

Talcall

(only put in help because I'm not sure where else this could go)
Now, as the title implies, I am not requesting this, and I will not be trying to achieve this on my own. Because ouch.
but!
Could it theoretically be feasible to rework calculator/arithmatician into a redmage that can learn duel casting, and is capable of using spells used in other classes?
I say feasible, as well, because anything is technically possible with ASM hacking, but I wanted to know if this was something a generally pretty knowledgeable hacker could achieve with the groundwork calculator provides? I was honestly quite curious
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
""The only thing more hardcoded than FFT, is more FFT."
    - A wise man"
       - Talcall
  • Discord username: Talcall

Nyzer

I'm assuming dualcasting just isn't on the table due to the sheer complexity of it. I kinda figure that if it were feasible, we would have seen it by now.

And the calculator doesn't provide anything close to what dualcasting is. I don't think that functionality could be reworked in that way.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Talcall

I thought maybe targeting the same unti twice would do something along those lines but, you know more than I do. Thank you for answering my question!
    - A wise man"
       - Talcall

Xifanie

No, he really doesn't know more than you, but just by applying a programmer's mindset we can accurately figure out 80-95% of the time to more or less imagine how something was coded, to understand how much we could alter it.

In this case, my understanding is that the game goes through one action menu and stores one action before resolving it. Altering this to allow selecting 2 different skills with different targeting would be a nightmare, and if you add modifying the AI to use it on top of that... better retire today so you can work on it lol.

The best we can really do right now are multi-hit spells. Traditionally this is done through a skill that randomly triggers itself, but ASM hacking for a specific number of hits like Truth/Un-truth/Tiamat skills isn't that hard.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Nyzer

QuoteNo, he really doesn't know more than you,

I really don't.

Talcall

Oh. Uh, alright then, I apologise for making assumptions. I thought time working on this stuff translated to that, but, clearly not.
I'm gonna stop talking, the ticket is resolved.
    - A wise man"
       - Talcall

Nyzer

Nah, my experience with ASM hacking is total zero. As I said I was just basing that guess off the fact that it had never been done before.

3lric

Quote from: Portalenthusiast on February 11, 2020, 08:00:56 am
Oh. Uh, alright then, I apologise for making assumptions. I thought time working on this stuff translated to that, but, clearly not.
I'm gonna stop talking, the ticket is resolved.

Many people here have very different skillsets. Nyzer and I are event editors and writers. Xifanie does a but of everything when she is able and makes the coolest ASM hacks when it comes to adding mechanics to the games, other people only do spritework or editor work or make tools.

This is one you shouldnt take offense if someone doesnt always answer a question, we dont all share the same knowledge in what aspects of the game we mod. Thats why we work as a team :)
  • Modding version: PSX