• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:57:23 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Travel Log

Started by Pickle Girl Fanboy, January 14, 2012, 12:02:43 pm

Pickle Girl Fanboy

January 14, 2012, 12:02:43 pm Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 12:22:51 am by Pickle Girl Fanboy
I'm in Raton, New Mexico right now - today is January 14, 2012.  I will spend all day on the internet at the Raton McDonalds, and then I'll go to sleep in a field somewhere nearby.  Tonight or tomorrow morning, I'll buy some more food, and then I'll go south on 25 until I catch 64 (unless this is 64 right out the window), and then I'll walk south and west on 64 until I reach Cimarron.  It's about 40 miles to Cimarron, so I think I waste another day recuperating once I reach it, and then it's on to Taos.  I expect it'll take me two days to reach Taos.

Once I reach Taos, I'll decide if I want to stick to the original plan - annoy the people out there who build earthships until they let me work on one and learn to build them, firsthand - or if I'll go with one of the alternates: work for someone until I have enough money for both a bus ticket and a weeks worth of food; or just keep walking west until I reach the western end of Arizona, turn north into Nevada, and then follow the western end of Nevada until I cross into Oregon, after which I make my way to the coast, (and maybe go north into Washington in the spring) and then work and send stories out to publishers until I qualify for Canadian citizenship as a Self Employed Person.

The road west from Muskogee was tough.  I made it to Beggs, Oklahoma in 12 hours, but only after walking 35 miles and getting a ride for the other 18.  Anyways, I made it to Beggs, but then, foolish me, I decided to keep going to see if I could make it to Slick before dawn.

There's an enormous hill west of Beggs, and this hill was so awful I literally forgot about it once I reached to top and started going down. At the bottom of the ravine was a bridge.  My feet were killing me - walking on concrete and asphalt is painful, especially if you tie your shoes too tight - so I walked to the side of the bridge and laid down and shivered for half an hour.  I felt better after that, so I ate something, and drank some water, and then (pay attention here) put on warmer clothes and started walking west again.  I made it about two miles,  but, since I was wearing all my warm clothes, I started to overheat.  I saw circles of spinning red lights to my right, like fat red laser pointers, oscillating across the pavement.  I saw shadows out of the corners of my eyes, which lept back from me when I turned to face them.

I made it past a factory on the right side of the road, slithered into a ditch, covered myself in leaves to keep warm, and then drank water, shivered, and slept for a few hours before dawn.  I knew I couldn't make it to Slick, but, since I didn't remember the hill on the way back to Beggs, I figured I was only two or three miles from Beggs, and decided to turn back.  What followed was the most physically exhausting revelation of my recent life.

I just decided to ditch the Taos/Earthship plan, and I am now zeroing in on Bastard Poetry.  I'm in Trinidad, Colorado, courtesy of two very kind people who gave me rides - I hitched - and now I'm gonna find him and we're gonna watch MLP:FIM together.

GeneralStrife

Quote from: Pickle Girl Fanboy on January 14, 2012, 12:02:43 pm

I just decided to ditch the Taos/Earthship plan, and I am now zeroing in on Bastard Poetry.  I'm in Trinidad, Colorado, courtesy of two very kind people who gave me rides - I hitched - and now I'm gonna find him and we're gonna watch MLP:FIM together.

Good news.

dinosaur

Oh cool escapade, I am interested to see where you end up

Kaijyuu

Whilst I'm glad you're going to be watching ponies, I still fear a bit for your safety and whatnot.

Like I said before, don't die. That would be bad.
  • Modding version: PSX

Dome

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Bastard Poetry

January 15, 2012, 09:35:23 am #5 Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 10:07:42 am by Bastard Poetry
Well, today is an extremely odd day--between my work schedule and my wife's work schedule--for me to even attempt to drive out of town, but if you can make it to Colorado Springs or Denver by Monday, I could certainly meet you there and drive you the rest of the way.. back to my Sunny Pleasure Dome (and caves of ice).
Final Fantasy Tactics - Thief SSCC:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL73FB72C01D917FD6&feature=viewall

(Fully recorded LP; successes, failures, and most things inbetween)

Pickle Girl Fanboy

I'm at the Walsenburg Public Library.  This is simply the most intelligently designed library I've ever seen.  I just ate a couple sandwiches for breakfast/lunch, and I plan to rest until about 3:00 PM, after which I'll go to the local bus station and see how close $80 will get me.

Last night was just awful.  I got a ride for about 20 miles between the Rest Stop north of Trinidad (BTW, rest stops are wonderful places to sleep), but then I had to walk the rest of the way.  Apparently, I haven't been drinking enough water or eating right, and I was wearing too many layers, because I was very dehydrated and starting to get a temperature by the time I reached Walsenburg.  I limped to a gas station, and had the clerk call an ambulance for me.  FYI, I wasn't near death or anything, and I would've passed out or my leg's would've rebelled long before I got near death.

Anyways, the emergency room people gave me an IV (after poking me for ten minutes trying to find a non-dehydrated vein).  I got a bag of saline solution, with multivitamins and extra B vitamins, and then a bag of water.  Then, they let me sleep in the waiting room until morning.

The extreme amount of hydration, coupled with all the vitamins, left me with smooth, glowing, no n-dehydrated skin.  Seriously, I looked like a beauty cream infomercial.

So I woke up every once in a while (they wouldn't let me sleep on the ground, so I arranged my pack in the seat next to me and leaned on it), and once 6:30 rolled around, I left.  I had a three mile walk back to town.  Along the way, I got tired of holding in a fart, so I released it, but there was just one problem; it wasn't a fart.  Fortunately, it was more juicy than chunky, so I ruined my boxers instead of my boxers, pants, socks, and shoes.

What followed was an exercise in mental pain management as the unmentionable substance was massaged by the motion of walking into the chafing sores between my butt-cheeks.  Eventually, I came to a 7-11, where I barricaded myself in the bathroom for twenty minutes and cleaned my stinky, aching, diarrhea-stained ass.  I threw away the old pair of boxers, and - refreshed be the feel of fresh cotton clinging to my crotch - I washed my hands for at least ten minutes.

I felt guilty upon leaving the bathroom, so I bought myself a decent meal.
*A truck-stop Italian sub (I meant to buy Ham and Cheese, but maybe my mind knew better and blocked the thought)
*An equally suspect tuna sandwich
*A tiny smidgeon of carrot cake
*Two snack-sized slivers of cheddar cheese, and
*A pair of nail-clippers.  I lost my last pair a few days ago.

GeneralStrife

What a detailed account. You could be a journalist you know.

Bastard Poetry

Just to reassure you guys, he's now safely in Fort Collins with me, and looking/sounding much healthier.

Eternal

Good to hear. Keep us updated!
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Kaijyuu

• Modding version: PSX

formerdeathcorps

Want me to visit you guys over Spring Break (in March)?  I know Akwikone and SilentB lives in the general area too.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Dome

Write a book about your Adventure!
That's the tipical emotional stuff that makes people rich

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Pickle Girl Fanboy

@fdc: I don't think I'm gonna be staying that long, but BP says you're welcome to come over anytime, if you can make it to Fort Collins, or even Denver, since he prefers hanging out in Denver anyways and he's willing to cut a little bit off your driving distance if it's convenient.

Bastard Poetry

January 17, 2012, 08:47:22 pm #17 Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 09:10:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
If you're close enough, or don't mind driving to Colorado, I'm pretty much always welcoming. Hell, Akwikone lives in South Park, if I recall correctly. That's only a few hours of driving.

Speaking of South Park..

Did you guys know that Casa Bonita is a real restaurant in Denver?

GeneralStrife

Quote from: Pickle Girl Fanboy on January 17, 2012, 08:30:28 pm
@fdc: I don't think I'm gonna be staying that long, but BP says you're welcome to come over anytime, if you can make it to Fort Collins, or even Denver, since he prefers hanging out in Denver anyways and he's willing to cut a little bit off your driving distance if it's convenient.

we gotta get you a residence Nikka

Pickle Girl Fanboy

First I gotta find a place with:
*A climate I like.  Mild weather, with plenty of rain.  I hate snow.  I hate 90 degree weather.
*A functioning economy.

Right now I'm looking at the Pacific Coast of southern Oregon.  I figure I'll check out the bottom-right most county seat, and then if I don't like it, I'll walk to the next county seat until I find one I do like.  Bonus points for a college town.