• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

can someone explain how to add in new things?

Started by Lockeadon, November 03, 2012, 10:21:15 pm

Lockeadon

not just change what's there already, but add new weapons, classes with sprites, abilities, and so on? there are plenty of free class slots for what i have in mind but there are like 10 active ability slots free and one each for the r s and m types, and no open equipment slots. how do i do like lasting dawn and Caldia and add a bunch of new stuff? ill be out of room very quickly  and i don't want to overwrite existing things... thanks ^.^

Choto

for the R/S/M abilities, you have to know ASM in order to make them functionally do something that you want them to do. For classes with sprites, if they are enemy units that won't be in your party it's fairly easy. If you want to ADD classes that the player can use, there is a limited number of sprites you can use for the pre-battle formation screen.. so that can cause problems. The active ability slots aren't that hard to edit in FFTPatcher. I suggest reading the forums and see what people have said about these things before. Otherwise, just try editing things and see if it works.. however most times it's not so simple. I've never played with changing weapons though so I'm not sure how they work when changed.

Celdia

There is also almost nothing added in my patch. Just about everything new replaces something old. I think the only exceptions to that are one or two Support abilities because there are a couple of free Support skill slots that actually can be made usable and not for a whole hell of a lot.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Lockeadon

okay thanks i guess ill have to learn asm ^.^ ... and i assume the two blank abilities at the end can be any kind of rsm? and i guess i need asm to make that blank status effect useful as well?

Choto

not sure about blank status, but if you go on the wiki on the "routine locations" page, you can browse through the different ASM routines that we have documented along with notes. It'll be a big help if you really want to learn ASM. Also take advantage of the many tutorials in the forums. It takes time and patience, but what seems extremely difficult will later seem extremely simple. The blank R/S/M's will pop up in whatever slot the game considers them to be (reaction/support/movement slots). But they can have almost any effect that you can code into the game.