• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:42:02 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

FFTA2 Animation editor Nightmare module

Started by GasT87, April 24, 2022, 09:49:50 pm

GasT87

April 24, 2022, 09:49:50 pm Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 05:54:12 pm by GasT87
After some time I got the itch to try modding stuff again and decided to try my hand at making a easy way to edit the animation of certain attacks, using the tables with the addresses. Always wanted to change how stuff like "Parley"would render the opponent invisible even if you change it from being a attack that removes the target.

Tested it by trying to change Attack into Fire: Didn't work, the character just stays in the idle animation but not even showing damage numbers above the enemy.

Tested by changing "Fire Breath" from a Dragoon into Blizzard: Worked perfectly, animation and correct sound

Attack seams to be hard coded, maybe also stuff like "Double Shot" from the Viera too.

Anyways it could use some more testing but I can't continue now, if anyone else wants to try it too you are free to take a look at it.

Edit: Haven't had time to sit down and test it well but the "unknown8" value seems tied to what happens after the ability:

23: Turns the invisible for the rest of the match
22: turns the one affected invisible for the rest of the match
Which if you want to change the effects of stuff like Elpee and Parley would be really helpful to change

24: Shows the damage of a second hit like with "Pummel", useful if you want to make more double hit attacks and want to display the damage done correctly, otherwise it only shows the first hit.

Ethereal Embrace

July 09, 2022, 12:39:55 am #1 Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 01:37:12 am by Ethereal Embrace
This is very useful stuff, thanks! Let us know if you have any updates on this.

Do you know which unknown deals with displaying damage dealt or healed, like say you were turning Steal Gil into Mug Gil instead. When using the ability editor, the damage is correctly dealt, but isn't displayed iirc.

Ethereal Embrace

Tried changing the beastmaster control skills into something different and it didn't seem to work?

Not sure what to do about that. Would really like for them to just have any skill that isn't only controlling monsters.

GasT87

Some abilities seem to be locked into particular actions even when changing the animation. Like I tried to change Roulette into a classical magic attack but it would not work as multi target, even when changing the animation it was always that. I think the beastmaster skill work in a similar way where they are hardcoded into doing that you may be able to use the Ability list editor in the text editor to give them other skills.

cooldeadpool15

Wow, even for just changing some casting animations this was useful. I had a Sprite(fairy) on my party (I like the fairies), and I also added some other magic skills to her arsenal like Rasp, Astra, and Magick Matra just 'cause- I also wanted to add Scathe seeing as she can use it when viewing it in the Ability Editor but that would be too OP.

But when she casts Rasp and Astra though, she just stands there with no casting animations. The magic and animation still works though, no issues there. Magick Matra was a different story, the monster version she raises her hands like she would when casting White Wind, but the Blue Mage version she just also stands there.

But with this module, and using the Shelling Magick Matra as reference, I was able to change the Sprites(fairy) casting animation when using the spells she doesn't normally acquire, like with Rasp and Astra. I started with Astra first, the first time I copied almost everything from the Magick Matra (Shelling) one, and the animation changed to her summoning a Scion of some kind, I couldn't tell who it it was. Eventually I dialed down, and just changed the First and Until section (to 0x07 and 0x00), same as the Magick Matra (Shelling)... and it worked!

Now I don't know what happens to the Templar animations though since I added those magick skills to my Sprite(Fairy). I also don't have a Templar at the moment so I dunno. Maybe when I have one eventually I might change the animation back to its default state if there are issues but so far this has been a win and a huge help.

She now casts Astra and Rasp similar to how she casts White Wind.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown