• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

[PSX] Souls of Destiny 4 Chapter (Beta)

Started by CONMAN, December 12, 2021, 04:22:17 pm

CONMAN

December 12, 2021, 04:22:17 pm Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 09:23:59 pm by CONMAN Reason: I'm a dummy
Souls of Destiny
  • Brand New Story
  • Story Additions
  • Character Additions
  • Imported Music
  • Easter Eggs

In a parellel Ivalice yoy take control of a Zodiac Brave candidate and his small family.  They learn the mysteries of the stones and take the battle to the elites of Ivalice.  This mod features imported music, a few new maps, all new side quests and several cameos from marvel, chrono trigger and other final fantasy games.

• Modding version: PSX

Akashachi

An AU version of the Zodiac Brave Story made with heart and creativity at its forefront.

This Game is Complete!
Not Completed

Version: Full Chapter 4 release

Overall
Story
Originality
Difficulty
Fun
Balance
Visuals
Replayability
Souls of Destiny is one of the few story mods we have available currently, but is more than just that. This AU take on the Zodiac Brave Story makes you take on the mantle of Connor and his family, that is somehow tied to the Zodiac Stones. Some of the machinations of the church still remains, as well as the starting sparks of The Lion War, but as you progress through the story, many paths branch, and heroes became villains and villains became allies and you by the end of your journey you may face the challenging choice of embracing your destiny or fighting against it to uphold what you believe.

But SoD offers you more than a rich and interesting story: you will have access to a new cast of heroes with new skills and unique jobs, new sprites and new animations, a new itemization and access to abilities you would never thought you could access in a FFT mod, and unique feature to this mod, new soundtrack with songs from several different titles of the FF franchise and more (like Chrono Trigger!) that plays very well in-game.

There is a small detail that did felt a bit off especially in the early chapters, and that was the fanservice. You may recognize enemies and monsters from other settings like Marvel comics, and while their stories are written to made fit the narrative written on the mod, it still feels a bit too much sometimes. It may turn some players off, but it is definitely worth it by the end of it. 

It is also quite noticeable the improvement on script and main narrative as the chapters move forward, with Chapter 1 feeling the weakest of them all, and Chapter 4 reaching to the highest peaks and exploring more how the already existing characters of the original game are in this AU. 

The gameplay is pretty great, but most jobs remains similar to vanilla, which helps the players already well familiarize with FFT, but felt it could been improved by adding new jobs on top of the unique jobs of the main cast.

Personally, I didn't liked some fights against enemies with huge pools of HP, because I feel FFT shines best when the combat is fast paced and straight to the point.

Game difficulty is pretty close to vanilla, especially since you get access to very powerful uniques and their skillsets.

There are a couple of branching points (and even alternative endings!) which may incentivize the player to replay it at least once more, so overall replayability is slightly better than vanilla tactics.

There are also unique sidequests,unlocked by exploring Rumors on taverns and moving to certain places, and some are really cool and offer new unique recruits you may add to your team.

Overall, I found it very fun and satisfying mod to play, and can't wait to see the many improvements the author may bring in the following updates. Definitely recommend this for those who want to play more FFT but want a new experience in narrative, instead of just playing another balance patch. And for those who try, I especially recommend trying at least until Chapter 3 since the story gets significantly better and will be worth your time.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

ArmoredKori

A must play if you have any interest in what can be accomplished with modding FFT

This Game is Complete!
Not Completed

Version: Full Chapter 4 Release

Overall
Story
Originality
Difficulty
Fun
Balance
Visuals
Replayability
After many years Souls of Destiny has been completed and it is a wild ride from start to finish. With a new set of unique characters, the player goes on a journey try to unravel the mystery of why they are being pursued. The mod provides a welcome complex narrative with interesting characters and political intrigue that made Vanilla so immersive. Though it does take a step back from being completely serious at times, it still kept me interested and I enjoyed the comedic nature that never overstayed its welcome.
Souls of Destiny does more than create a new story for the player to enjoy though, it really shows off what can be accomplished when modding Final Fantasy Tactics. It has new music which is a very rare and is an untapped tool to this day. It has custom maps that are very refreshing and interesting to play. A myriad of new sprites are unique and make the characters feel special. The main cast has new jobs with a plethora of skills to learn. CONMAN has harnessed the tools available and created something worth experiencing.
It is, however, a bit rough around the edges. CONMAN is a one man show and unfortunately the level of polish just isn't quite there. That is also to be expected as the mod itself only had CONMAN as a tester and he already has plans to correct errors in the script as well as make it compatible with more emulators. It does take away from the experience here and there, but it does not make it any less fun or any less worth playing.
The mod has been balanced for fun rather than difficulty. All characters have enough tools in their main jobs, but can become crazy powerful when paired with the modified Vanilla jobs. I only found one or two battles in the main story required a retry. This did detract from some pivotal story moments, but overall I have no qualms with how the mod plays and did have some memorable battles (Lucavi vs Lucavi anyone?).
There is a vast amount of optional content as well. You will not find yourself wanting more characters as the roster of recruit-able characters definitely does not disappoint. Each battle and event outside the main story is unique as well as a blast to experience. Some are even quite challenging, but the reward for victory is always worth it. For those who like their unique items, there are plenty of new ones as well as some that can only be stolen from your foes, so don't forget that thief at home!
Overall, Souls of Destiny is the biggest mod currently available on this site. It has more content than Vanilla and includes a brand new and intriguing story. It is an unpolish gem of a mod and you would be sorely mistaken to not grant yourself the pleasure of playing it. Thanks for creating such a wonderful experience CONMAN, I look forward to whatever you make in the future!

I make FFT maps!
twitch.tv/armoredkori
  • Discord username: ArmoredKori

Celdia

Whimsical and Full of Surprises

This Game is Complete!
Not Completed

Version: 4.2

Overall
Story
Originality
Difficulty
Fun
Balance
Visuals
Been playing this one in my free time over the last couple weeks or so. I'm near to the end but haven't cleared the endgame sequence yet.

First things first, there is a lot of creativity in this mod. I've seen more than a few ideas I've had myself be fleshed out and made functional in CONMAN's mod which is always a great thing to see. The extended selection of side quest battles to be unlocked via rumors is wonderful fun as are the characters you run into during these extra adventures. The whole story has been completely revamped from start to finish while still treading familiar ground with faces in new roles that answer a lot of possible "What If..." scenarios about the characters of FFT in a very engaging way. I find CONMAN's new main cast to be entertaining and occasionally endearing.

There's a good bit of familiar alongside a wonderful helping of new and interesting. A handful of things tend to still need a little bit of finish work - missing text, some visual glitches, the usual sort of stuff in a mod that is pushing the boundaries - but hardly enough to take away from the enjoyment of this mod. Definitely a lot of fun. Looking forward to what's in the endgame still but I'm too busy playing all the new side quest events! :D

• Discord username: Celdia#0

Santidad

• Modding version: Other/Unknown