• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:58:07 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Giving one sprite the portrait of another. Possible without actually spriting?

Started by orangejuice32, December 08, 2012, 02:41:19 pm

orangejuice32

Complete noob. Such a noob, I don't even know if that's something people say anymore.

I'm trying to make my own patch/mod/game/whatever-it's-called for personal use and your website and forum have been an invaluable resource to me. I've done pretty well on my own, but I've reached the point where I have to ask for help, so I've read your posting guidelines and used the search feature and checked the wiki, but I can't find what I'm looking for.

I want to take a portrait from one sprite and assign it to another sprite. (Ex. Ramza's sprite with Delita's portrait.) I don't have the programs or the savvy required for spriting, so I concoted the idea that if I opened, for example, Ramza and Delita's sprites in Paint and cropped one of their portraits and pasted it onto the other one's, that I could successfully do this.

Problem I'm encountering: I can't open sprite files in paint, so I'm trying the bitmap files, but the portraits are all inverted.

Questions: Would this work to begin with? If it would, does it matter that in paint the portraits are inverted-looking? They weren't when I downloaded them.

Feel free to ignore if this is a dumb question. Any response is very appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

If it at all matters, I want to give another sprite Miluda's portrait.

3lric

For this, Look at Celdia's tutorial on changing formation sprites. In there it explains how to swap
palettes in Graphics Gale, the same rules apply for what you are trying to do. Just look at the
portion explaining how to change ports for Unit.bin and imagine she is talking about an entire sheet instead...

Thats all I did to learn it. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need further instructions
  • Modding version: PSX

Jon

You can also download GraphicsGale for free, good for spriting. Its not that hard, make sure the portrait only has 16 colors and you should be good from there. Do what Elric said, look for the tutorials on spriting.
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

3lric

Jon... The tutorial I was telling him to look at explains ALL of that already, no sense in confusing with more information...
  • Modding version: PSX