• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 03:07:34 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

mtPaint as an alternative to Graphics Gale

Started by Pickle Girl Fanboy, April 06, 2012, 04:34:26 pm

Pickle Girl Fanboy

April 06, 2012, 04:34:26 pm Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 05:15:50 pm by Pickle Girl Fanboy
http://mtpaint.sourceforge.net/
QuotemtPaint is a painting program which Mark Tyler developed from scratch so he could easily create pixel art and manipulate digital photos.  It uses the GTK+ toolkit (version 1 or 2) and runs on PC's via the GNU/Linux or Windows operating systems.  Due to its efficient design it can run on older PC hardware (e.g. a 200MHz CPU and 16MB of free RAM).
mtPaint is free software, which means you are able to freely use, modify and distribute it according to the GNU General Public License.
Currently mtPaint is maintained by Dmitry Groshev.

I downloaded mtPaint and opened up the Dancer sprite.  From what I saw, mtPaint is a viable alternative to Graphics Gale for spriting.  It is superior to Graphics Gale because it is open source, which means we can fork it and modify it to make it better suited for editing FFT and Tethical sprites.

Details:
*Palette is visible in the sidebar.  All used colors can be editing in this sidebar.
*You can select your brush and color with two clicks of your mouse, which makes for fast and intuitive editing
*It's open-source
**So it could be stripped down to the bare essentials needed for editing FFT
***And additional features for editing FFT could be added as needed
**Plus, it could be modified for editing Tethical images
*It currently works on Linux and Windows, and it may work on Mac.
**If someone decides to modify this program for FFT, please don't break Linux compatibility.

What features could be useful for FFT?
*I believe it lacks a "color picker" tool, so that's an obvious must-have.  Currently, you must manually select the color you want to use, which is very tedious compared to the color picker in Microsoft Paint.
**Alternately, you could select your brush color by clicking on one of the colors in the palette.  That makes more sense, I think, and it's a good feature to have.
*If palettes could be viewed as they are in Graphics Gale - all in a single block - and if they could be picked, and copied and pasted (to other parts in the palette block) from there.
*A color mixer may be useful.
*If it had some of the functionality of Xif's palette editor...
**To make editing palettes easy, and
***To make loading palettes from other sprites easy.
*It should have some presets for editing human sprites, monster sprites, and special sprites correctly...
**Like lines that mark where one frame ends and the other begins - to make custom spriting easier
*It should also have a "Preview Sprite" or "Test Animation" feature, which quickly assembles the sprite and goes through every animation, so you can watch it and make sure it works as it should in the game.

Other things
*Autohide can be very useful for decluttering the GUI.  Pinta, another open source image editor (for Linux, Windows, and Mac), has some good examples of this.
*Some kind of scripting system may be useful for tedious things.  I don't know enough about spriting or programming to have an opinion on this.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mtpaint/files/mtpaint/3.40/mtpaint_handbook-3.40.zip/download
mtPaint Guide.

Screenshots:
The palette is on the left-hand side of the screen.  Just above the palette is the brush selector, the pattern selector, and the color selector - all of which are accessible with a single click.

See attached screencaps.

Rfh

Should this topic to be in patching/hacking tools?
I think that I prefer graphics gale because I am familiar to it, but maybe it can be better.   
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: rfh