• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 27, 2024, 09:25:13 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

How to preview magic effects on FFT

Started by gmila84, December 30, 2009, 06:38:31 pm

gmila84

Hey guys, how you doing?

Need some help here.

I'm making new magics using FFPatcher editor, but I have to save them, load the iso with the emulator, start a new game, pass the first battle to test my skills, and I'm talking about the Squire skills...

How can I see the magic effects before playing the game or how can I turn more easy this job?

Thanks in advice.

Ps. sorry 'bout my poor English, 'cause is not my primary language.

Cheetah

1) This should be in the Help section, and will soon be moved.

2) Save states, for the emulator. What emulator are you using? Why don't you just load a normal save and go into a battle?
Current Projects:

gmila84

My bad, posted in the wrong place.. so, if I load a saved game, it keeps previous configurations of the iso. I've founded another way, placing all the abilities I'm testing on Ramza, and using at the first battle! ;) The editor generates a Gameshark code, its possibly another way. Thanks for your tips!

R999

February 19, 2010, 06:59:45 am #3 Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 03:19:40 pm by R999
I am curious about what's the best workflow for this (or related to this) as well. i would like to know what is the fastest way one can think of about testing out all the special effects of the game. (not just reading a list, actually seeing them).

edit: Philsov has a great method. I guess I could use the same method to test other stuff as well, without having to patching the ISO all the time. Only problem is I'll have to use another emulator that supports the cheats plugins.

philsov

QuoteThe editor generates a Gameshark code, its possibly another way

That's what I do.  

Create a new patch and change only what I'm trying to test -- really cuts down on the GS code.  The PEC plugin, for example, has a userdatabase you can just c/p into.  Inputs easy.  Others should have a similar function.

Have vanilla iso loaded with random worldmap savestate loaded and walk from one corner of the map to the other until I get a random and duke it out.  Savestate in that battle, THEN load in the GS code.  Try it out.  If it doesn't work, loadstate, tweak in fftpatcher, modify a gameshark variable or two, and re-activate the codes and try again.  Really makes minor adjustments a breeze.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

GreenGiant

Also, you could use the CEP gameshark program for PSX, it allows modification of gameshark code on the fly, without having to reload a save state. It's kind of hard to find, though, so if you're having trouble I'll upload it somewhere for you.

R999

Thanks for the suggestion GreenGrant. But since my primary OS is a Mac (Snow Leopard), I would be extremely surprised if there was something like CEP for it(Mac OS X). For now I have been testing everything via patching, restarting game (sometimes load state is sufficient too, depending on the changes). It's not exactly a painful process (abeit much slower). What I ultimately ended up doing was simply using 20 skill slots for testing purposes. Essentially bulk test things per reset. So with good management and proper tinkering a moderate level of efficiency can be achieved.