• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

New Gabranth sprite

Started by rafaelterras, January 27, 2010, 12:37:14 pm

rafaelterras

rafaelterras

Sorry for the double post, but I've done some hard modifications on the color and would like to know your opinions once more.
[attachment=0:3s1wdu5y]gabranthattemptdreialleinf62.PNG[/attachment:3s1wdu5y][attachment=1:3s1wdu5y]gabranthattemptdreialleinf6.png[/attachment:3s1wdu5y]

I've used the metalish-like colors of Pieke Otaka and put the cape in a black color. Also added the portrait.
As for the red coloring on his cape and the horns fixing, I'll leave it for my weekend. I need patience to do those, and I don't have much right now.

mav

The sprite looks unbelievably flat now, use the armor palette from either the male or female Lancers.

jimmyjw88

Pieke's colour is not bad. The problem now is your shading.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

MiKeMiTchi

Tsk. It looks really bad.
Compare it to the original. What do you think is lacking?
Color values really needs some fixing. Go back one step.
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

CidIII

It looks sort of like my Dark Knight Cecil, messed up colors, and dog ears.
I refuse to play Final Fantasy Tactics again until I am able to do my FF6 patch! And, FFT 1.3 doesn't technically count as FFT: so there!

rafaelterras

@mav I might do them now. You'll see it once it is 'finished' once again.
@jimmyjw88 How could my shading possibly the problem if I only changed his colors?
@MiKeMiTchi Personally, I believe he is lacking dark colors, but if I follow my own tastes again I'll end up with another blackened sprite.
@CidIII As a matter of fact, it is your DK Cecil with messed up colors. The 'ears' I'll try to correct when I have time to do it; probably on Sunday.

EDIT: actually, I'm giving this up. I just don't give a damn anymore. Anyway, if anyone wants to try to continue this one, here's the spr:[attachment=0:32qb89vv]JudgeGabranthunfinished.spr[/attachment:32qb89vv]
The spritesheet is the same as the one I posted about 5 posts earlier.

mav

I dunno why you're giving up, but good luck on whatever your next project is.

MiKeMiTchi

Don't give up on what we've said. Make them an inspiration to make your work better. :)
(wishes Asmo was here..)

CidIII

Yeah don't give up, yeah it's hard at first; but, I've seen tremendous progress made in topics just like this, through criticism and help. I've seen beginners way worse off than you improve tenfold as the learn about colors (which can be the most important part), and shading.

Just keep with it, sure I was a little harsh, but never give up.

Your colors probably got messed up if you did a bucket fill or replacement on my DK Cecil sprite, because when I made it I didn't really know how to do different colors, and a lot of the blue are very very similar and most paint programs cannot distinguish them (such as Gimp) and dye the whole thing that color, which is where I think your sprite probably lost a lot of it's depth, as for the horns, try reshaping them a bit. I went through several (and I mean like 9-10) different horn arrangements and I still never achieved one that I'm happy with, just keep with it, envision what you want and do your damnedest to create it and if you can't post what you have and get critiqued and try again!

You picked a very challenging sprite to do as your first project or one of your first whichever.
I refuse to play Final Fantasy Tactics again until I am able to do my FF6 patch! And, FFT 1.3 doesn't technically count as FFT: so there!

jimmyjw88

Yeah, don't give up. This help you improve.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Smash

Give up.

I agree with CidIII, this was too complicated to begin with. To get better at this you need to ascend slowly and gradually; taking on something too advanced to your skills will only get you frustration.

It's like if someone who never got past from middle school skipped all the way to college, and then got fusilated in the first rounds of classes. Not to be taken offensively, but you've gotta have patience to go through it, and never expect to clear it in one shot. We all go throught the same stages anyway, the only thing that varies is when.

MiKeMiTchi

You have a point Smash, but I disagree. (peace)
In college, there are also times when something way too advanced compared to your skills will meet your way.
Just.. do not be afraid to FAIL, rafaelterras.

But, yeah, you need to work on it slowly, but make sure that in the end, you will have
NO REGRETS or whatsoever in your decision. Start with the basics, then as time flows, you might
have another chance to finish this again. :)

You can give this up, but don't tell us you're going to give up just because others don't like your work.

Smash

Quote from: "MiKeMiTchi"But, yeah, you need to work on it slowly, but make sure that in the end, you will have
NO REGRETS or whatsoever in your decision. Start with the basics, then as time flows, you might
have another chance to finish this again. :wink:

Bloodthirster0

just to mention an example,someone who came with the same story as you,Seushiro also tried to do very complicated things that always ended messy,so Asmo (I think) told him to learn the basics before rushing into complicated things and he did it,he become a skilled spriter and I suspect that he wanted to re-do one of his forst sprites (Squall),since he did an awesome portrait for him,Jimmy has a similar story,but instead of doing sprites,he asked for them,someone to do it by himself and here he is
Need something useful to write here

Atma

i'm guessing u've got something in your mind what this character should look like, but it's just not coming out how u want it to look?
a lot of good points were brought up, and i agree that u shouldn't give up.  it might be a good idea to try a less ambitious sprite edit first, get used to the whole process, then come back to this one when you're ready.
if u can get a pretty solid rotation of this character it will really set you up to do all the more complicated frames.  that being said, that also means the first step is essentially the hardest.
do you have any other edits in the works?
My name is Atma... I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.

Atma

hate to be one of those double posters.......bu~t.....
[attachment=0:3u13t75z]Gabranth - idea - Atma.png[/attachment:3u13t75z]
here's an idea i had for ur sprite.  don't know if it's what u were thinking.

Kagebunji

Helm on the sideview looks nice, on front, not soo good. First thing that you made and other who attempted to do Gabranth: He consists of THREE basics colors, silver, black, and red, rest are shades.  This one is far too dark, and isn't working, not enough color variation. And again, I really like the helm on side view, heh.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Atma

LOL, i didn't even bother checking what he looks like.  :P  i haven't bothered finishing that game and had forgotten who he even was.