• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Final Fantasy not-so-tactics. A straight up RPG

Started by 6divide9, November 14, 2008, 04:01:13 pm

Zozma

January 09, 2009, 10:04:18 pm #20 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
what a waste of perfectly good biggs and wedges ... some generics you never see again :P
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

DarthPaul

January 09, 2009, 10:08:45 pm #21 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Indeed they should have been super generics like Rad, Alicia, and Lavian.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

The Damned

January 09, 2009, 10:32:31 pm #22 Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 01:17:51 am by The Damned
Lol, this thread is going (wonderfully) off-topic fast, so I'll guiltly add to it a bit before it gets back on track (if ever).

It's so refreshing to see an FF discussion (outside of FFT) that isn't about whether FF6 or FF7 is the bestest thing evarz or which one of them sucks more cock than a gay version of Dustman.

It's also nice to see FFX getting some love.

Quote from: "Helbrax"FFX. Most people liked this one.  The ones that don't usually complain that the hero was a brat.  That's what makes the story more interesting.  He's not some one-dimensional uber badass(they saved that for Auron).  He's a whiny brat who grows up along the way.

I disagree about the Auron thing, partly because of what nates already said.

The other part of the reason why I disagree is because is if anyone was closest to the standard "one-dimensional uber badass", then it was Rikku.

Yeah, I said it. But, honestly, think about it. She's basically happy all the time, like she's LITERALLY Yuffie on crack (which is even more ironic considering that horribly unnecessary tie-in I hear they did with X-2...), Mix is still as broken as it was in FFV AND she gets constantly getting things done that others via godless machinery and a spoken coded language.

That is badass.

QuoteOn topic:
I had this same idea, literally, a few months ago.  Get out of my head!

This comment is actually funny because of the current Mindflayer avatar.

You started it by trying to eat people's minds!

With regards to FFX, I only have one thing to ask since I don't want to horribly derail the thread if the OP wants to actually use: Am I the only one who also liked FFX a lot because it like a HUGE critique of Christianity, namely Catholicism?
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Dormin Jake

January 10, 2009, 01:05:03 am #23 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dormin Jake
Quote from: "The Damned"Am I the only one who also liked FFX a lot because it like a HUGE critique of Christianity, namely Catholicism?
FFX kind of struck me as critiquing any major organized religion that imposes an oppressive authority.  That can be represented perhaps best by the Medieval Catholic Church, but it is by no means alone in that distinction (see the unquestioned human sacrifice of the Aztecs, which is somewhat eerily reflected in the self-sacrifice of FFX's summoners and the level of acceptance that denizens of Spira have with Sin's cycle of death and destruction).  It's got more of a case for questioning the status quo, of challenging viewpoints that might not be right but that are supported by the masses only because "that is the way things are."

It's a nice message, one that I agree with whole-heartedly.  But, as a game, I think I hate FFX.  The game play's fun as long as the characters are noticeably different, but once they start reaching outside of their own portion of the sphere grid, I lose interest.  And bleh to the story.

FFT, however, is pretty damn anti-Catholic.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
We are Dormin. Thou art to bring us a tasty beverage.
  • Discord username: dorminjake

DarthPaul

January 10, 2009, 01:11:30 am #24 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Quote from: "The Damned"With regards to FFX, I only have one thing to ask since I don't want to horribly derail the thread if the OP wants to actually use: Am I the only one who also liked FFX a lot because it like a HUGE critique of Christianity, namely Catholicism?

You hit the nail on the head for why I think it's story is one of the best in the series!!!
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Helbrax

January 10, 2009, 09:08:41 am #25 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Helbrax
Some off topics posts in reply to Auron:

He has about 10 minutes of character development, way late in the game.   True, he isn't entirely one-dimensional, but he is for most of the game.  You only catch pits and pieces of his non-badassery from memory spheres.  I still think that the character is one-dimensional throughout 90% of the game.

100% agree with Rikku.  Tidus, Yuna and Wakka has strong to moderate development.  Lulu and Kimarhi had a tiny bit(about as much as Auron.  A footnote in the story line).  Rikku was pretty much the same from the moment you pick her up till end game.  She doesn't even change in X-2.

FFX storyline was more about the dangers of "any" oppressive organization, but it's easy to draw parallels between the church of Yu Yevon with the dogma of the catholic church, so that's why it's so much easier to catch on to.  It's pretty much the same backplot to *any* RPG.  Instead of an oppressive "Empire" you have an oppressive "religion".  Although I liked the story and the message, I felt it was still a bit of the same old plot.

On-topic:
The only reason I didn't start with rpg maker or something is the massive amount of ruby scripting and editing that would have to be done with the stats.  I wanted as many skills to translate as possible, and certain formulas as well.  Not everything would translate either.  It was just too much work to chew through on my plate between work, school, life, and the dozen other games I have waiting for me that I haven't even started yet.

DarthPaul

January 10, 2009, 12:03:24 pm #26 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Auron doesn't need as much development as he is a badass and the little foot note that he was DEAD, or undead if you want to say it like that.

ffta707

October 09, 2009, 02:39:42 pm #27 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ffta707
that kinda defeats the purpose of this website.

woodenbandman

December 09, 2009, 09:35:14 pm #28 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by woodenbandman
Quote from: "Zozma"what a waste of perfectly good biggs and wedges ... some generics you never see again :P

We should make a biggs and wedge patch. You start at level 1, and you work your way up with shit equipment and fight enemies way higher level than yourself, and you have to face off against the intro battle at the end, but they all have ??? stats.