• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:39:40 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

The Aftermath Battle Event

Started by LastingDawn, August 06, 2009, 10:10:56 pm

LastingDawn

August 06, 2009, 10:10:56 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Alright! Voldemort has come through! And with some impressive strategy (though I must ask why the Bullet and Gun combo didn't go off...)  you didn't do too bad at all. This is the first actual viewing of a Mercenaries combat zone, so feel free to comment on the battle system itself (namely Zalbag's refusal to use anything but the suicidal Shallow Slash...) although I do sort of wish the Gamble skillset had been utilized, but that's mainly my fault for not telling him about it.

So without further ado... enjoy...

Leave any critiques or comments you may have either here or on the video itself.

Mercenaries: The Aftermath of Event

Aftermath of Event part 2
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

MiKeMiTchi

August 06, 2009, 11:08:33 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
Too bad I can't watch it right now because of my stupid network connection.
I hope it'll be fun!
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

Archael

August 06, 2009, 11:22:34 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
bullet combo didn't go off because Rad didn't bring any ammo in his second hand

Archael

August 06, 2009, 11:24:09 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
also LD, I replayed the battle many times after that video was recorded and they did bring in many different items, abilities, and secondaries

the variety is cool, it is not repetitive AT ALL

Dycedarg's Rapid Water is fucking gay btw

Dormin Jake

August 06, 2009, 11:29:54 pm #4 Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 02:21:52 pm by Dormin Jake
This does nothing to soothe my "omg can't wait until release" syndrome.

Awesome video.  I can't wait!
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
We are Dormin. Thou art to bring us a tasty beverage.
  • Discord username: dorminjake

LastingDawn

August 06, 2009, 11:33:41 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
I'm glad to see you liked it! And I am relieved to hear that Dycedarg used his other abilities, what concerns me most is Zalbag not realizing his Shallow Slash hurts him. Also yes, Mercenaries is Specifically set up in a way, that at certain levels, all equipment for said level unlocks, so to give the most variety, that is what I aimed for, and I am glad to see I succeeded for the most part!

Art of War

Zaen

August 06, 2009, 11:59:35 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zaen
Looks great. I definitely can't wait for you to finish this.
"Oh, God!! The Hokuten!!" ~Guard, Sand Rat Cellar

mav

August 07, 2009, 12:54:28 am #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by mav
Wow, that was fantastic! Reading the item description I saw some "it's" that should have been "its", but that can easily be fixed in due time. Also, it was a little confusing to try and figure out who was on which team for the enemies. Maybe you could utilize palettes to make characters look more uniform? Or maybe you already did that and I missed it...

I love the dialog--everyone sounds more educated, and Ramza certainly comes off as a thoughtful fella. These videos are truly a treasure.

Archael

August 07, 2009, 10:55:36 am #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "mav"Maybe you could utilize palettes to make characters look more uniform? .

yes

you gotta make it clear which soldiers are on Orlandu's side and which are on Zalbag/Dydedarg's side

LastingDawn

August 07, 2009, 12:15:17 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Well, I did actually... the two sides are standing opposed to one another (The Monk is difficult to tell since he's always undead, also it's own Strengthen: Dark may be a bit... broken), but they are wearing different colors and in the full cutscene you'll probably see them ready to draw their swords on one another.

Art of War

Archael

August 07, 2009, 12:23:01 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Orlandu's allies should all share a similar palette

the same with the other side

it's not enough to just have them facing one another and the colors being different, for example, right now each side has 1 red unit

confusing

LastingDawn

August 07, 2009, 12:26:37 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Do they? Bah! I blame that on palette 0 being neutral, thus the Monk's Hokuten look having red pants, heh... really I only chose Monk for simplicities sake, odds are there will be a different job class there, in the final.

Art of War

Cheetah

August 07, 2009, 12:27:04 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Very very impressive. You have the longest item descriptions in the world LD haha, those are probably even the adjusted shorter ones aren't they. Taking out the turn page is easy though, you can just delete it in Frame.bin. Though it will disappear everywhere, including dialog boxes.

Obviously it is still really glitchy, but you have made a lot of progress and are doing some really cool things. I especially like the running to a particular spot to leave the battle. Changing the condition to "Survive!" would be super cool, do we know where the data for which battle condition is used is?

Do you have the first event being when Orlandu has his first turn? It seems like that should just be at the opening of the event. It just seems odd to have all those people in a room and the battle starting with no event to give you an idea of what is happening. Or I guess the event script could just be incomplete here.
Current Projects:

LastingDawn

August 07, 2009, 12:32:34 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
It is actually before the battle begins, I call the rest of it after the battle conditions. As you have just said it is "incomplete" it's the second part of a Major Mercenaries event, what Dycedarg is referring to when he falls is basically that event. (Also a lot of the keywords are involved with the first part of the event.

Art of War

Xifanie

August 07, 2009, 02:30:09 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
As far as event editing goes, this totally sucks.

No character moves at all; even when exiting the Church!
UseFieldObject to open the door. http://www.ffhacktics.com/instructions.php?id=55
And make the female knight/Ramza actually walk through the door.

All the items are nice except for Cobra's head which has a too glitchy palette. Nice work for all the text edits. ^_^'
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

LastingDawn

August 07, 2009, 02:47:23 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Oh yes, the event editing was relatively pathetic, but it wasn't meant to show a lot of that (nine sprites being loaded already really hurts the chance to show any, but in retrospect I have an idea for that, (show Gafgarion enter, and shortly after him the Knight). Also I tried to open that door, I tried to simply remove the door (as I was assuming that's what the four checkmarks in Attack.out would have accomplished, unfortunately that didn't work) Also if you look close enough you'll see some characters that are dead, rise back to full stance, during some of the talking events, this is indeed an oversight, I was making use too freely of the (everyone animations) the event was mainly a show of skills, text edits, and all new weaponry. The event prior to this promises to be much more spectacular.

EDIT: The Cobra Head palette is only temporary, I plan to make a lot of new item icons, the Cobra Head is one of these, and as far as palettes go of ordinary icons, that one was the best I could find.

Art of War

Xifanie

August 07, 2009, 02:53:51 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Sorry, by moving I meant walking. If the door doesn't want to open you can simply turn around the camera to an angle that you can't see it. That alone would make it look much better than just a character disappearing.

That's pretty odd especially since Thieves Fort has a hidden door that is next to impossible to notice while that obvious one doesn't open?
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Cheetah

August 07, 2009, 03:11:35 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
From my testing with trying to get doors to open, I haven't had much success... My assumption is that unless they were used in the game they usually didn't program it, that or I don't know how to use the instruction.
Current Projects:

beawulfx

August 07, 2009, 03:32:06 pm #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by beawulfx
I am just amazed by this video. So impressed, and basically frothing at the mouth for Mercenaries. You've done such a great rehaul of the jobs/abilities. It looks and feels so amazingly unique from my time with it and from watching this video. I am just so excited about the work you guys are doing. Seeing all those jobs unlocked and all those abilities, man, I was jealous of Arch!

I don't know what to say, I mean obviously to you guys you see the flaws in event edits and such, but to me it's just a wonderful glimpse into a brand new take on my favourite game ever that already has blown my socks off. Very entertaining, every glimpse I get of this game makes me so happy, everything is so shiny and NEW.

Once I get windows back I want to play the demo again and enjoy that (limited) Mercenaries experience!

EDIT: Also wanted to add how much I enjoyed the text edits and the dialogue as well, I just love the world you are creating here. It's fantastic. I was frantically pausing to catch it all and read every bit. The new items look so much more fun that the traditional Tactics items. So many items using elements and with different looks and effects (like starting haste, undead, etc, so awesome). Going to be amazing.

I could keep ranting like a giddy girl but I will stop myself here to maintain some shred of dignity.
My FFT 1.3030 videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 18EFFEA0AD
My FFT: Mercenaries videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 174F169EE5
My FFV Random Class Challenge videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... C9F3BD69BF

Pele

August 08, 2009, 09:35:54 am #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Pele
Awesome video, I can't wait to play this.
Can you tell what is that map :?: