• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:20:37 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Farewell Oracle, we hardly knew ye... well we did kind of...

Started by LastingDawn, February 24, 2009, 04:13:08 pm

LastingDawn

February 24, 2009, 04:13:08 pm Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 03:49:38 am by LastingDawn
Curse my idiocy! How did I miss this?! Apparently we were filled of classes before I even made the Mediator topic! Oh PSP version... bless us with your extra classes...! No luck? Alright...

Alright, we will have to take out a class, as much as it pains me... one of our custom classes has to be shelved...

Let's start with the pros and cons of each class.
-----------------------------------------------
Knight: A heretical holy man, highly altered from Vanilla or 1.3's Knight, completely stands alone from both with a mix of minor light/dark weapon skills.

Pros: Unique in it's execution, the skills are well varied, a lot of combinations with other classes can be utilized. It's equipment options increased.

Cons: It is a Knight, while it has been put into a fancy new package, that doesn't change the fact it is another take on a normal Knight.

-----------------------------------------------------

Archer:

Pros: Bolts of power, the Archer no longer uses Charge, and specializes in using Bolts to attempt to put negative status on their foes, which varies in a good range.

Cons: Is this perhaps too much? A ranged class with such control over status could be a mistake I'm not foreseeing....

--------------------------------------------------------

Monk:

Pros: Completely redone, set in style with FF4's Monk, a unique weaponry replacing Axes and Flails. Their skills are highly different and their powers unique unto their new role.

Cons: A completely new Monk, but perhaps it's skills are too one sided... they have many powers now, yes. But admittedly their development was based on my own wants, rather then the communities, I always wondered if the community cared for this Monk.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Invoker:

Pros: They are the only normal class that can equip Rods, which grant Massive MA, their skills are extremely weak, until you apply these rods to them. With the Rods their skills become very powerful. Their skillset is lifted mostly from Vagrant Story.

Cons: There is much potential for abuse with those Rods... I haven't tested it yet, but a 30+ MA with any class would make them the number one carrier, if I were to guess...
------------------------------------------------------------------

Cantor:

Pros: Their methods of healing are unique, relying on a matter of
"prayer" and near death to not heal. They are helpful but dangerous at times. Depends what you are willing to sacrifice for healing or status. they can equip Swords, Shields, and Staves, basing their equipment options off of Minwu from FF2.

Cons: Their skills are interesting, but are they functional? I have no trouble using them, but perhaps some people will find the skillset a bit too convulted?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue Mage:

Pros: Basic Blue Mage, everyone knows it, they learn skills from enemy attacks.

Cons: The class, while a great idea, is perhaps a bit of a cliche?

Warder:

Pros: A class based 100% around defending, tanking, and stalling the enemy. It's powers will probably incorporate a target Shell and Protect before it's finalized. This class will also need a new sprite.

Cons: It's asking a lot of work for one person to make a brand new sprite. Though aside from that, how much use will it really see? It will be a bit slow, with the option of Sword and Spear for equipment though, it could see some relative use.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Oracle:

Pros: We haven't actually changed the Oracle yet, come to think of it... Except it can equip the new cards. But it's blank slate status could allow for some interesting changes.

Cons: That's a con in and of itself, it's currently as it was in Vanilla.

Arbalist:

Pros: Can dual weild crossbows, and use skills that can hit twice, they are extremely powerful but are glass cannons that don't have much survivability

Cons: Is there apparent weakness too much? Especially with only 4 range to escape to.
------------------------------------------------------------

Gambler

Pros: Warriors of chance, all of their skills are random and they focus a lot on single enemy, with their only large skill being Roulette which is Haste or Slow on each seperate unit. Also can equip a new equipment called Cards

Cons: With a very unique structure, they are indeed an interesting class, but they stand to replace Ninja which Throw is currently an untouchable skillset sadly.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Dragoon

Pros: Their skillset has been completely revamped in every meaning of the word. Their skills are unique, and their powers range and differ.

Cons: They have the same equipment options as in Vanilla and many of their skills now cost MP, though can that count as a con?

Reliquian

Pros: With a skillset completely based around "drawing out" it sounds very familiar, but if we can get Razele's help we can go back to our original idea of giving many normal items various uses.

Cons: Well, not really much we can do with this one... Draw Out's another sealed skillset.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Scryer

Pros: Revamps the item system from it's foundations, with Razele's new hack only allows ten runes brought into battle, as it stands this allows for much more tactics when dealing with these items. It can equip Robes, Books, and Knives.

Cons: Really we have our hands tied here, regardless I tried to make this class as unique as possible.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

EsperBlade

Pros: Limits summoning down to only those with a specific type of sword. It's powers range from helpful to extremely devestating. With their unique playstyle they are sure to see a lot of use. Can equip Robes, Armor, Hats, and SpellBlades.

Cons: But they lack versatality, you must always have one kind of swordtype on to use their abilities.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Inquisitor

Pros: They are a Mageslayer unit and their abilities completely base around this. With a wide range of weaponry and a distinctive amount of armor to utilize their skills will see much use. They can equip Swords, Spears, Bows, Crossbows, Staves, and Knives. Hats, Helmets, Clothes, Robes.

Cons: A Mageslayer is effective versus one type of enemy and that's a mage. Do we want to have Magic User's prejudiced against? Granted you can switch in and out and the like.

Traveler:

Pros: They amass money, bewilder enemies, absorb MP, and help allies a fair amount. Their skills are well varied and vary in usefulness, keep in mind in Mercenaries money is not so easy to come across.

Cons: They have extremely varied skills, but perhaps they are a bit too weak?
-------------------------------------------------------
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Cheetah

February 24, 2009, 04:34:50 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
I vote for an unposted option. "Get Our Asses in Gear and Figure Out How To Add More Jobs!".
Current Projects:

LastingDawn

February 24, 2009, 04:42:35 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Ah but Zodiac's already explained this one in full... unfortunately it would take an immense amount of work for the game to recognize 16 more abilities to learn.

Art of War

Celdia

February 24, 2009, 05:01:00 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Celdia
As much as I do like Oracle for Vanilla and 1.3, does it really fit in anymore with all these other unique/new classes? Drop your last vanilla entry and go with a full set of new.

Also, if you want to see ranged status effects, toy around with my patch I finished. It replaces Mediator and not Archer but it'll give you a feel maybe for how powerful that can be...and I limited mine with fairly high MP costs on the best ones.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Shade

February 24, 2009, 05:15:15 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Shade
I don't like knight, Oracle, Warder.
Upupupu...

Zetsubou

Goomba

February 24, 2009, 05:18:59 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Goomba
Goooooood bye, Oracle!

boomkick

February 24, 2009, 05:44:38 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
Oracle is not new, so "VOTE AGAINST ORACLEZ"

But if u don't want to remove one, couldn't you make it enemy only and place that class into anther slot?

DarthPaul

February 24, 2009, 05:51:55 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Vamoose to the oracle.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

PX_Timefordeath

February 24, 2009, 06:28:22 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by PX_Timefordeath
Dear oracle, we knew thee well. However, your skills are unwanted here in this brave new world of mods, so ADIOS BITCH!

dwib

February 24, 2009, 07:24:34 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by dwib
oracle sucks in vanilla.
oracle sucks more in mercenaries.

why would ANYONE vote to kick out warder?!?

VincentCraven

February 24, 2009, 07:38:42 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Wow, looks like Oracle is getting kicked out.

Oracle was actually one of my favorite classes, but if you haven't changed it much, it won't be too interesting.  I actually voted for Reliquian, but if you can get it to work with other items, then it would be cooler.
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

Dormin Jake

February 24, 2009, 07:49:53 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dormin Jake
Voted Oracle.  

I agree with Vincent, Oracle has always been one of my faves.  But with status effects being split among other classes, and the old Oracle doing nothing new, I say boot it.

*sobs anyway*
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
We are Dormin. Thou art to bring us a tasty beverage.
  • Discord username: dorminjake

Archael

February 24, 2009, 11:39:57 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Oracle WITHOUT Question

Asmo X

February 25, 2009, 03:09:33 am #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Oracle was, by far, the most interesting class in Vanilla. In 1.3 they are really, really awesome. Easily my favourite class. But in Mercs it looks like you want a full roster of new classes so I guess since that one is still the same and you can't think of anything else for it, it ought to go. Better use its spell effects for something. They fucking own.

LastingDawn

February 25, 2009, 03:48:29 am #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
And thus Oracle has met it's demise... Thank you everyone for your feedback, now the question is what class to specifically to replace it with...

8-9 Physical classes have more classes, as it appears. I hope that won't bother anyone. It slightly... irks me... but nothing for it can really be done by this point.

Art of War

Goomba

February 25, 2009, 12:38:18 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Goomba
It won't be missed, seriously. It was already totally trumped by one man in Vanilla.

Beowulf. That guy is an Oracle on steroids with innate: cocaine.

Dormin Jake

February 25, 2009, 02:44:52 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dormin Jake
Quote from: "Goomba"Beowulf. That guy is an Oracle on steroids with innate: cocaine.
Off-topic nitpick: But he can't multipanel!!!!!!
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
We are Dormin. Thou art to bring us a tasty beverage.
  • Discord username: dorminjake

Smitson

February 28, 2009, 03:01:30 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smitson
Adiós Oracle.