• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:09:04 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Half-cape?

Started by Lydyn, October 29, 2011, 01:36:34 am

Lydyn

Sorry if this is too vague, but I'm trying to create a half-cape for my sprite. I've tried multiple ways using the Lancer cape, but always looks really weird ... it's like I can't get the curve of the cape on the angles to look right. Any advice or examples to help me out?

RandMuadDib

try looking at balmufa (sp?), delita's witch servant girl
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

Kagebunji

Half cape, but in length or width? If length, then surely you can get ideas off from Balmafula and Onion Knights, but if in width, then you have some to do some custom work.

Post what you have so we can help more.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Lydyn

October 29, 2011, 12:06:57 pm #3 Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 01:01:25 pm by Lydyn
I wanted a half-cape in terms of width, much like Lightning's cape from FFXIII.

Edit: Oh, hold on ... need to make an example. I'll have it up later.

Edit-Edit: This is a pretty bad example, but I did work on it some ... hence why I need some help with it.

Kagebunji

October 30, 2011, 12:02:12 pm #4 Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 12:13:25 pm by Kagebunji
Ok, here is a small example of it. You have only three colors here, so it isn't giving me much to do. What you should add is a scarf, I made a lousy, custom one to give you idea how it should look. Same for the half cape, make it come out of the scarf, and make it linear, without outlines. If the legs on the sprite weren't all black, I could show you better, but just so you know, there are no outlines on the half cape(only at the bottom, but those are folds, not outlines). Hope this helps you, Pot Lid!

Lydyn

Does this look any better? I personally didn't want the scarf at all ... I'm trying to get more of the look that the cape is tucked in or attached to the hood.

Kagebunji

The idea of it coming out from the hood is very weird to me, but you can keep it of course. It's looking ok to me.

Lydyn

I just don't like the scarf ... covers up too much of the armor. If you have any better ideas though, feel free to let me know.

GeneralStrife

make it attached to the left shoulder like boba fetts cape

Lydyn

I wanted it attached to the right shoulder actually - the non-armored one.

Kagebunji

Well, whenever I think of half capes, I imagine the scarf combination. It has to be attached to something, and scarf is the best option. Oh, and do you mean you won't be changing anything on the sprite other than thr cape? Cause currently it is hooded Dart with a half cape to me, you either need to change arms or armor, eventually legs.

Lydyn

October 30, 2011, 04:39:07 pm #11 Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 05:21:19 pm by Lydyn
Well, I was asking for any ideas besides using a scarf ... also, I need to change those things? >.< I think it looks good as it is.

Edit: Maybe the cape isn't a good idea, I don't know. Just trying to add something ... it seems to be missing something without the cape, but a whole cape seems like too much.

jimmyjw88

I agree with what Kage said. Scarf works better. It doen't really make sense with just a half cape there. But since you have hood on, so it's possible. Make it kinda like cloak, almost like those sins or adventurer on desert where either cover their whole body or just one sided. I may try an example if possible. Good luck.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

formerdeathcorps

I really think your "cape" needs to not be the same color as the hood, or it just looks like a really odd black ponytail.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Pickle Girl Fanboy

November 01, 2011, 07:24:58 pm #14 Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 07:29:39 pm by Pickle Girl Fanboy
This reminds me of an idea I had for a Batman sprite.  I was thinking the cape would be attached mid-shoulder blade and around his triceps, and when he dropped from a height it would fan out a bit.  And it would look really cool fluttering as he jumped up too.

But this is more like one of the wingsuits skydivers wear.

Also, this sprite kinda looks like Shinobi.

Unrelated: It'd be cool to have a sprite where the cape has a mind of it's own, like Shinobi's does.  I mean, it'll move all over the place when you attack or KO someone, or get a critical hit or something.