• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:14:30 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Skills for my RPG

Started by Lydyn, May 10, 2010, 10:21:02 pm

Lydyn

I just need some minor help ... trying to come up with 14 skills for my 6 classes, each.
I've got;
• Holy Blade
• Dragoon
• Cleric
• Warlock
• Druid
• Archer

Names and/or description of what said skill would do would be a huge help.

Note: This isn't for FFT.

SilvasRuin

Might help if we knew what sort of RPG it is.  Turn based?  ATB?  What are the limitations of the game engine?

formerdeathcorps

Quote from: "SilvasRuin"Might help if we knew what sort of RPG it is.  Turn based?  ATB?  What are the limitations of the game engine?

He made it with RPG Maker so it looks like FFI.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Lydyn

Turn-based, like FFI or FFX ... limits? Um ... can't attack ally and enemy at once. Otherwise, not many limits. Oh, no percentage type abilities.

SilvasRuin

First I'd suggest some of the staples, not necessarily the FF trademark moves but the stuff found in every RPG.  Elemental spells, healing, status healing, poison, blind, etc.  Make sure the status attacks are worth using from time to time instead of straight damage.  Longer fights make for more useful poison.

Some trade-off moves would be good too, such as the Accumulate ability we've seen Monks use through various series, and maybe a magic equivalent like bluff in FFIV.  I would suggest the physical skip a turn in order to do 220% damage the next turn.  This delays the damage but then makes up for it by adding 10%.  For magic, it doesn't need a boost as it will wind up being twice as MP efficient that way, so skip a turn and then the next spell does 200% damage.  Or if you don't want the MP efficiency to be THAT good with it, make it something like 150% damage which would come out to averaging 75% damage a turn but only 50% of the MP cost.  ...I'm assuming you can do this by multiplying the base damage of the attack, like multiplying the power of a spell by 1.5.

Giving Holy Blade something other than the traditional pewpew holy attacks might be nice, something like a holy aura they can cast that deals DoT similar to poison to all undead and/or demonic enemies.  If the undead are made especially resilient, then it would add a bit more strategy to the game to give Holy Blade abilities specifically designed to lessen the threat rather than just nuking them, such as an ability that lowers their attack power or perhaps negates their defenses so the other party members can manage to deal more damage.  Basically I'd be interested in seeing a character that was designed to defeat powerful undead through a battle of attrition than the normal mindless brute force.  Make sure some of the nerfs/debuffs wear off so that the Holy Blade doesn't wind up being dead weight halfway through the fight.

I assume Warlock is supposed to be like a Black Mage, but what sort of Druid do you plan for?  I've heard many different interpretations.  There's the Druids of the Shannara book series, the animal transformation Druids, the enhanced BeastMaster sort of druids, the Geomancer-like nature spell Druids, etc.

Dragoon seems to preclude the FF style character, so I've not got much ideas there.  The FFTA/FFTA2 Dragoons are a good example of Dragoons with a variety of options.

I do not know how to make Clerics and Archers not boring.

I'd also like to make another non-character suggestion.  Make random encounters much more rare than normal, but make the common enemies harder than normal or take longer than normal.  I loved how this was done in Lost Odyssey.  This makes random encounters less annoying and more strategically significant in resource management (MP).  Of course that means you'd need to give proportionately more battle rewards to keep the game economy and leveling pace intact.

Barren

you could include a necromancer, a mage class that raises the dead (or something like that)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

SilvasRuin

Necromancers tend to be more complicated than you'd think...  Simplest way to make them work would be something like that animal capture ability from FFV, but then you'd have to make an undead sprite of every "capturable" monster to make sure it all looked right.  So... again, necromancers are extremely complicated if you want it done right.  Just look at what they did for Necromancer in FFV Advance.  They turned them into another type of Blue Mage.  They didn't bother to do it right because the engine as it was wouldn't support it.

Barren

Quote from: "SilvasRuin"Necromancers tend to be more complicated than you'd think...  Simplest way to make them work would be something like that animal capture ability from FFV, but then you'd have to make an undead sprite of every "capturable" monster to make sure it all looked right.  So... again, necromancers are extremely complicated if you want it done right.  Just look at what they did for Necromancer in FFV Advance.  They turned them into another type of Blue Mage.  They didn't bother to do it right because the engine as it was wouldn't support it.
you do have a point, but again, i think it can be done because necromancers should made the way they should be made. If that can be pulled off, then it would make the game all more attractive. sometimes with a game engine that has limited capabilities, people can do things that'll surprise you
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?