• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:28:22 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

[MAP] Horse Shoe

Started by lirmont, May 26, 2011, 12:57:28 am

lirmont

May 26, 2011, 12:57:28 am Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 11:45:43 pm by lirmont
Attempt at a large map (32x32 squares):

Download "Horse Shoe".
Download "Horse Shoe" Event Music.

Asmo X

Wow thats enormous. I like the textures but I think you need to have darker shading on some surfaces that aren't facing the lightsource.

for example: http://ffhacktics.com/maps.php?id=44

Good job though

dinosaur

It is huge! Super awesome- I love it!

Kivutar

Great! :D

Have you noticed any lag on this type of big maps?

How long did it take to write the json file?
Tethical, an online FFT clone

Dome

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Kivutar

This is what I feared. I tried your map, and there is a big lag due to the map size + my poor client/server architecture: the packets I send are way too big. Luckily these packets are full of useless data and a better design will certainly fix it. I noticed there still was a sort of lag even after the big network rewritte. The test with your bigger map confirms the bug.

GeneralStrife

Holy crap, nice new map. Hope that is fixable though kiv.

lirmont

@asmo: Next map will be more ambitious in that respect, but this one I will hold off on that since lights in 3d should be responsible for that (rest in peace, Playstation(tm) limitations). Next map will require flat lighting, so shadows will end up on texture like you suggested.

@kivutar: I did the whole map start to finish in under a day (but I had prepared a template for map squares well in advance of that), but the map description file probably took 2 hours (and it wasn't 1-to-1 what I wanted, so it's still technically incomplete).

Eternal

Holy hell, I love this map!
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Kagebunji

I wonder, can you use these kind of maps in real FFT? Like, importing them etc.? Cause this would be really neat then.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Kivutar

I sent to formerdeathcorps some instructions on how to write this importer + the limitations.

Kagebunji

Ok, cool. My love for you just went up by one level.

RandMuadDib

is your love for him like a truck? or is it perhaps a ticking clock?
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

Kagebunji

Neither, it is pure guy love :P

Zozma

the textures are great but something about them seems to overpower the the sprites, cant put my finger on it tho.
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Cheetah

The textures overpower the sprites because they are higher resolution and have greater color depth.
Current Projects:

Kivutar

@Zozma, to draw FFT style texture maps, tiles must be 20x20px, and textures must use 16 palettes of 16 colors respecting the Xenodrogen law.