• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:55:49 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Creating a WOTL ppf

Started by kyozo22, February 10, 2014, 02:24:05 pm

kyozo22

Hey guys, I've been doing some sprite and text edits on a WOTL ISO and was trying to make a ppf of all the changes. Trouble is, when I import the new FFTpack into the ISO and recompile it via UMDgen, it shaves off 20 MB from the ISO. When I try to make the ppf, PPFstudio comes up with an error and is unable to create the patch due to the differing sizes.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?  I've heard/ read somewhere that I need to pad out the ISO via a hex editor, but have no clue what the hell I'm doing/ how I'm supposed to do that?
Tl;dr anyone able to help/advise? Please and thank you! :D
  • Modding version: WotL

3lric

• Modding version: PSX

kyozo22

Ok so, two things:

a) Thanks very much for bringing that to my attention, Elric.

And

b) Apologies for not noticing/ looking properly in the tutorial section. I realise that having to point out obvious stuff like this must get irritating after a while.

Again, cheers. Will mark as solved.

kyozo22

Apologies for the double post, but am in need of assistance (again! Lol) I've managed to pad out my iso, but when it comes to the ppf, it ends up creating absolutely massive file sizes. :(

So,ha a quick search round and found out that apparently your supposed to make sure that the bytes are added to the end of the iso (which I did) so have no clue where I'm cocking up. I'm using HxD, if that makes a difference at all?

Thanks in advance for any help given!

3lric

I wish i could be of help, however I've only experience in doing this with PSX images, and from smaller to larger on the vanilla image, not the modded one
(which I wouldn't think would matter) so I honestly have no idea what the issue would be.

Just how big are they coming out?

kyozo22

Between 500-600 MBs...  I'd assumed that I should modify the modified ISO as that was the smaller one?

3lric

Correct, you should be modding the smaller one to make it the same size as the bigger one.

I would try again in WinHex. As the 00 bytes may not have been added correctly (?)
Follow along with the tutorial, and with Winhex if you still have the issue then I'm stumped.
Unless the reason that it gets smaller is that ALL the files are rearranged somehow, in which
that 500mb would be making up every single difference between the 2 image files.

Other than that I really cannot say, I've never seen the modified ISO end up being the smaller
of the 2. You didn't leave anything out by chance did you? Cuz it sounds like the original ISO
could be possibly corrupted in some way.

(On another note, i found this quite funny, since I could've sworn that WotL wasnt even 600mb
in the first place, mine is only like 400mb)

kyozo22

The vanilla ISO should be fine, I've played through it without issue multiple times. The Iso only'shrinks' if you import th fftpack after changing formation sprites. Othewise it's not an issue at all.

Will try it in Winhex once I get a chance to download it somewhere, and hopefully that'll work.

And yes, FFT WOTL is only 399MB, usually. Kinda twigged there was something up when the ppf was double the size of the iso. :D