• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:29:51 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Damage calculation question (WOTL)

Started by Triazic, August 08, 2023, 10:14:32 am

Triazic

August 08, 2023, 10:14:32 am Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 10:33:34 am by Triazic
I am curious about the damage calculation in this game and looked at the PSX BGM.
I am checking basic sword attack damage in the first battle (Orbonne) and am confused.
Attacking Lavian (Female Aries) with Ramza (6PA, 7WP sword, Male Capricorn) should yield 6*7*0.75 (bad zodiac compat) = 31 ~32 dmg.
Instead it yields 35 damage. What am I missing?
This is WOTL.

Damage against Ladd at neutral compat is 42 (correct) and Agrias at best compat is 63 (correct).
Damage against Gaffgarion at good compat is 49 (seemingly incorrect, should be 42*1.25=53).

Are compat multipliers different in WOTL?
  • Modding version: WotL
  • Discord username: Triazic

stuminator

The zodiac compatibility modifier is applied only to the attacking character's XA, not the WP.  Ramza's attack against Lavian in your example should be calculated as (6 - [6*0.25])*7, which works out to 35.  And attacking Gafgarion would be (6 + [6*0.25])*7, which gives 49.

Also note that when applying compatibility you multiply by either 0.25 (good/bad) or 0.50 (best/worst), then add/subtract that number to the original XA to get the new value.  Using the Orbonne example vs Lavian again, the compatibility modifier changes Ramza's PA in the calculation to 5.  If you calculated 6*0.75 instead, you would get 4.5 (or 4, since FFT truncates nearly all non-integer values) which is incorrect.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: stuminator

oscarramirez

Thanks for this explanation. I'm wondering the same problem

Triazic

Right, so the core issue is actually integer rounding being used internally in the calculation, got it. Thanks!
  • Discord username: Triazic