• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:17:23 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Official Mark Ideas Thread

Started by 3lric, May 08, 2013, 02:39:29 am

Nyzer

Well, I might have gone with that, but I've actually already adapted The Vaccine in, which has almost the exact same plot, heh. Kill a boss monster for an ingredient to counter a curse. And unfortunately, your idea involves a sprite we're not using (though we could put it back in) as well as more than one brand new ability. We actually only have 6 ability slots left.

Also, I should probably say this now:

We're down to only a handful of Mark slots remaining, and we're looking to wrap those last ones up shortly.

But if this helps anyone think of anything, one of the things we're actually looking to do with our remaining slots is to set up one last battle sequence Mark somewhere. Now, I could come up with something entirely on my own, but I actually really like the idea of taking community contributions for the Marks when possible!

So if any of you guys want to come up with concepts for fights to go with that, you're more than welcome!

A little bit of advice for anyone looking to help with that (or any of our remaining individual slots):

- There should always be some kind of little subplot involved in these Marks.
- It helps if the plot for these Marks ties into the story in some way.
- Whenever possible, Marks should be different from random battles in a meaningful way. The player is able to prepare before engaging this Mark and adjust their team specifically for the purpose of beating it, so it's a great place to have minibosses or otherwise cheap encounters.
- That said, the minibosses should almost entirely just be repalettes of existing sprites. If your idea requires a completely brand new sprite to be made, I can almost guarantee you it won't be happening.
- The 9 sprite limit! While repalettes like different monster subtypes (Chocobo & Black Chocobo) don't count as different sprites, we actually only have up to 4 sprites that can be used in battle unless you have a good reason for the party size to be lower than usual. We don't have to immediately load the party during the battle setup event, so if you want, you can have more sprites appear during the intro as long as they're offscreen by the time the party has to be onscreen.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

3lric

Don't forget to mention that there can only be a maximum of 16 units. This includes the player party. I mean you'd have to have a damn good reason to have 5 vs. 11 even if you could do so while obeying the sprite limit, such as the hypnotoad mark.
  • Modding version: PSX

DaHammerCrush

Final Fantasy Dimensional Rift - As all the boys are basically jumping from their realities into this one you could look at that as a dimensional Rift. In general the main bosses like Ganon and Sephi are using some materia or other means to manipulate it but all this crossing back an forth has torn a hole between the dimensions.

The Mark - Take out the one holding open the rift - Golbez

Golbez is being guarded by Dark Cecile and the 4 Elementals from FF4

Prize is a Pink Tail that can be used with some other item to synthesize the Adamant Armor

The use of this device could allow the player to gather all the tails and get the Onion Items as well. Each Rift is being held open by a different classic Final Fantasy Big Bad, Zemus/Zeromus from FF4, Chaos from FF1, Exdeath/Neo Exdeath FF5, Genesis Rhapsodos from FF7 Crisis, and the Braska Final Aeon from FF10.

Plan C

that just screams custom sprite usage, which Nyzer said that wasn't gonna be an option

Nyzer

Quote from: Plan C on June 10, 2016, 07:41:25 pm
that just screams custom sprite usage, which Nyzer said that wasn't gonna be an option

As well as several very specific ideas for equipment, which IIRC Elric has already said was decided some time ago. I mean, even I have no ability to add new equipment. I suggested adding in a specific kind of ultimate weapon a ways back to fill a gap, and the answer was a very resounding no. I couldn't even get a synth material changed for something that would've fit perfectly and already exists as an item in a different case, either. That's just how fixed things are.

3lric

Quote from: nyzer on June 10, 2016, 09:23:44 pm
As well as several very specific ideas for equipment, which IIRC Elric has already said was decided some time ago. I mean, even I have no ability to add new equipment. I suggested adding in a specific kind of ultimate weapon a ways back to fill a gap, and the answer was a very resounding no. I couldn't even get a synth material changed for something that would've fit perfectly and already exists as an item in a different case, either. That's just how fixed things are.

What's done is done :P

He is right, as I see no sense in changing/editing the Synth materials that were put in place long ago to match with the ultimates as well as possible. Instead we adapt ideas for marks around these items.

There are 100% absolutely 0 item slots left. All items are already determined and won't be changing. We could go back and change things like that and spend time adapting everything else to it, but that then just becomes a normal thing and things stop moving forward.

Plan C

So with these last mark slots you guys have, are you looking for a multi tiered battle plot? or just a bunch of individual marks?

Tempest

Plot related if possible marks that do not require any custom work, use whats in the modded version of the current chapter 1 as your only resource to create the mark. I'm currently trying to figure one out that is immersive to the tactics lore but friendly to the current state JOT5 Ivalice is in.

from my understanding they would prefer single mark missions that have relevance and purpose to the current plot, or without plot relevance yet still believeable in the JOT5 world. 

Nyzer

QuoteSo with these last mark slots you guys have, are you looking for a multi tiered battle plot? or just a bunch of individual marks?

Either or, though it looks like Elric's now got a plan to put a 2-part sequence into Ch. 3, so probably just leaning in the direction of individuals. That said, if there's a particularly good idea for a sequence, it could very well be chosen! Sequence battles are enjoyable, after all, and a good sequence is easily worth two MMO-style generic "collect boar asses" Marks :P

Plan C

Ill see what I can spring fourth from my mind. Sequence battles as in 2 part marks (finish one, unlocks the other, etc) with continued story or more how Riovanes Castle in vanilla was?

3lric

Battle
Victory
Save
Formation Screen
Battle Formation
Battle
Victory
Back to Worldmap

Nyzer

More like Riovanes. Multi-Mark stories are a bit wonkier, because essentially you're returning to the bar in between each mark and paying a fee to continue the story. That can work at times, for example if there's a fair bit of downtime between events or your party needs to stop and take care of mundane affairs off screen, but it's a bit harder to justify. And it can't easily be "one mark, three locations" because if one of the Marks is in the way of your main story objective, and you cancel it to get at the story objective, it'd basically erase your entire progress on that chain. Or it might just prevent you from ever picking it back up again.

And there can be very good reasons to cancel Marks. For example, the last one I came up with, assuming we end up being able to spare the ability slot for it, would actually require that the party bring status-immunity equipment in order to fight effectively. Maybe you don't have that gear right now.

Plan C

Plan C

Just something I came up with over the last hour, tried to go ahead and take a shot at a solid sequence battle.

A Hunted Heretic

A note is left to ""Duke Seymour of Lionel"..since that is what you liked to be called now", and it appears the author knows of Ramza's true identity. The note clearly states that he has been looking for Ramza for quite awhile and has at last found him, but to avoid unnecessary commotion, he wishes to meet Ramza alone at Poeskas Lake to test his mettle and collect the bounty still on the heretic's head. He even states he will share how he became aware of this information upon defeat to further entice Ramza into heading forward alone. 

Location of Mark: Zarghidas Trade City
Location of Battle: Poeskas Lake

Battle 1
Difficulty: Hard/Very Hard

Enemies: Paladin (Knight/Vanilla Knight/Dark Knight sprite?) 
Name: Hadrian
Conditions: 1 vs 1, Defeat Enemy: Ramza vs Hadrian

(Just some ideas)
-Both Ramza/Hadrain affected by a trap to inflict Haste (Will explain why below)
-Uses Great Sword, Innate Maintenance, HP Restore
-Primary Skills: Oath Sword (Holy Sword: Stasis Sword/Split Punch) (Magic Sword: Innocent/Shock)
-Secondary Skills: White Magic (Cures/Regen/Reraise/Wall)
-Reaction Skill: Damage Split
-Support Skill: Two Hands
-Movement Skill: Ignore Height

Opens up with a Split Punch to try to inflict Death Sentence, Haste trap can potentially speed this up, or it can be used to your advantage.
Innocent to negate Heals and/or Magic use on Hadrian, relying on items instead
Innate HP Restore to make the 1 on 1 battle more intense, having to land a killing blow without sending Hadrain into critical
Battle ends on Hadrians defeat, leading to battle 2

Just as Ramza defeats Hadrian in a one on one battle, Hadrian reveals his "Plan B" per say and surrounds Ramza and his friends not long after the rest arrive, following behind him at safe distance. Due to Hadrian's stubbornness and ego, he will not let Ramza go that easily and this battle will only end with bloodshed.

Battle 2
Difficulty: Very Hard

Enemies: Paladin (Knight/Vanilla Knight/Dark Knight sprite?) 9 x Disciples (Mix of Priests/Monks/Lancers) (Should meet sprite limitations: 4 enemy sprites and 16 total units.)
Conditions: Defeat All Enemies: Ramza + 5 Members vs Hadrian + 9 Members

Hadrian keeps all initial abilities
Disciples can all be assigned abilities per choice, only catch being they all share Hadrians ability to HP Restore, Maintenance and Ignore Height (Too assist with map terrain)
Battle 2 starts with your team in the dried river bed (if possible) and surrounded by the disciples as an ambush

Reward: TBD

KingUrameshi

Quote from: nyzer on June 10, 2016, 11:25:42 pm
And there can be very good reasons to cancel Marks. For example, the last one I came up with, assuming we end up being able to spare the ability slot for it, would actually require that the party bring status-immunity equipment in order to fight effectively. Maybe you don't have that gear right now.

Basically going to keep all the equipment I get though out the game and buy stuff I might not need.

Remaining marks that could incorporate any guest as a the main focus would be cool. Have some marks only available if you get certain recruit able guest only characters by end game.

Currently playing Pokémon Black version 2 and Tactics Ogre(ps1). About to go full retard on this one.
You have allies... Friends that would risk their lives, and I am one of them.

Nyzer

QuoteBasically going to keep all the equipment I get though out the game and buy stuff I might not need.

Well, there's not going to be much need for outdated equipment that doesn't have special effects, and we won't be dickish enough to throw anything at you that you can't overcome. But yeah, it's a good idea to hang onto things that give innate/initial statuses, elemental resistance/nullification/absorption, or status immunity. For example, if you've ever seen that multi-tortoise random battle at the waterfall, you might be aware how much of a difference Float can make.

Plan C

I learned my lesson long ago to keep all status protection equipment with the likes of Cúchulainn/Queklain, Celia and Lede making my life a living hell.

Tempest

June 11, 2016, 06:55:48 pm #137 Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 08:44:44 pm by Tempest
The Puppet Master pt1

Story : "A Warrior has been ambushing and doing battle with the Kings men! This traitor operates near Lesalia, and attacks key targets during winter months. The King is paying well for information, or the traitors head!"

A Man named William Piers has been waging a personal war against his king. He somehow knows of Delitas past and the many people he manipluated to steal the throne. William seems to always make his move during the winter months of the year, operating out of Lesalia. His intentions are unknown however his targets are not at random. William always targets supply lines leading to the kings men in the winter months when crop is low.

spoiler : William Piers is a former knight of the Order of the Southern Sky, and was a loyal member of Druksmald Goltanna's castle guard. He knows Orlandu was not the man who killed Goltanna, and with Delita's rise to power was suspicious that he was responsible. After some investigation William confirmed his suspicions when he found Grevados acted as Orlandu's decoy for execution, and actively lead whomever he could to assemble and resist Delita, so to not become his willing puppet (An imposter executed + his knowledge of whom was in the castle + his knowledge of Orlandu being honorable and heroic leads him to the end conclusion that Delita had ambitions to the throne and used this assassination plot to his advantage).

Ramza wants nothing to do with such a thing, however knows that Williams method of murder and violence will only complicate things and throw Ivalice into chaos should he succeed. Ramza sets off to find this William and find resolution before the Kings men lead a slaughter. Find William and make him see reason before more bloodshed occurs!

Difficulty : Hard

Enemies : William (2h sword knight w/shield, Paladin style character.. Primary = Knight skills, Secondary = White magic with Holy learned - Equipment can be standard Knight gear, give him Move MP up, half MP cost. (any sprites we can use that fit? if not just make him look slightly different from the standard Knight; even if just colors), 4x Knight, 1 Ninja, 1x white mage, 1x black mage.

On death make all enemy characters knocked out, instead of dead. All enemies must be defeated.

The Puppet Master pt2

Story : After doing battle with William and his men, you force him to hear your words. You explain that murdering the king will only prolong the cycle of violence and corruption that William is so against. You insist to him that the best means of moving forward is to be patient, and wait for a less violent means of opportunity to present its self to then resist. Sensing that you are not on good terms with Delita yourself, William calms down, and relents. 

A group of assassins hired by Delita overhear your words, but are discovered by Snake. Knowing they cannot escape having heard your words, your men and William prepare for another fight.

Difficulty : Very Hard

Enemies : 3 x Ninja, 2 x Archer, 2x Black Mage, 1x White Mage, and 1 Time Mage.
Guest : Willam (Make him wounded but not completely, maybe 50% hp if possible?)

Reward : William joins your party (he would allow his former party to return to their families having felt shame for involving others in his quest for violence)? + Gil, OR William gives you his knight sword? + Gil. (William cannot join you, however gives you his sword as a symbol that he will no longer wage war and take the lives of the innocent people Delita controls, but asks that you find a way to make sure Justice is served, and that Delita answer for his actions).

Nyzer

It's a pretty decent concept, except Delita does end up leading Ivalice to a golden age just as FFT says he will. Jot5 takes place during the early transitory days of Delita's rule. Ramza doesn't spend his time in Lionel Castle completely against his will, after all. The two of them might not be on the best terms, but there's no way Ramza would be advising people to plot and scheme against Delita.

Plus... plotting and scheming is more Delita's sort of approach, anyway. Ramza's about as subtle as a tank crashing through a building. That difference between the two of them was a major plot point in FFT and still is today.

Tempest

June 11, 2016, 10:10:57 pm #139 Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 10:44:14 pm by Tempest
I was just playing the first few minutes of the game, Ramza speaks of defeating Delitas patrol and leaving against Delitas wishes. I got a little confused, however golden age or not - he still has skeletons in his closet that could be found out. In Ramza's journal he states in entry 7 that there is currently "no reason to resist Delita, unless opportunity presents its self". Did my best with what little knowledge of the current state of Ivalice i could muster.

I meant for it to come across more as a calm the dude down and find a less violent resolution for justice to be had, rather than a terrible plot or scheme.